What foods are bad and what are good?

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Good foods: Ones you like
    Bad foods: Ones you don't like

As long as you meet your caloric goals, you're all set!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, the best foods are those that don't throw you over your calorie goals.

For heathy eating I suggest looking to the experts. This is a great evidenced based but easy to understand guide to healthy eating:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/index.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Brown rice sucks, I know that much.

Dude... why is it all... chewy and *kitten*??

If it's chewy and *kitten* you are preparing it incorrectly.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I reminds me more of oatmeal than rice
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

Heh. I was about to say the same thing. You could always buy a rice cooker- perfect rice every time! Properly cooked brown rice is soft (not chewy) and has a nutty flavor. To me, it is more complex tasting than white. I eat both, but some dishes pair better with white, some with brown.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Agreed, you are overcooking it.
  • DeanaeB
    DeanaeB Posts: 3
    Options
    WOWZER!!! THANKS! All good advice and keep them coming. I try to eat real food, but sometimes go for the diet lunches. Then take a day on the weekend and have anything I want, a cheat day! I would like to know easy things for lunch? I do protein bars and can of low sodium V8 sometimes.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority here. Eat the 'real' versions of food (butter, sugar, etc.) in moderation. If you want a natural sweetener (instead of an artificial one), Stevia and Xylitol are better choices than Splenda or Sweet n Low.

I know, it can be confusing when you hear so many different opinions on how to lose weight, what types of food you should eat, carbs/no carbs, etc. You may have to experiment with different combinations of food & exercise until you find out what works for you.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    For lunch, I take whatever I had leftover from dinner the night before. I make a lot of recipes from CookingLight.com

My favorites include.... Chicken Gumbo, Morroccan Chicken, Linguini with Peppery Shrimp, Beef Tenderloin with Cherry Black Pepper Sauce, Ancho Pork Medallions, Chicken Posole.... MmmmmMmmmm! All delicious and most are super quick to make! The Ancho Pork Medallions are ready in like 15 minutes!

I only cook for hubby and myself so I shoot for 4-6 servings of whatever I am making. That way we have dinner and lunch the next day (and sometimes a second serving at dinner on those particularly hungry days).

And Stir Fry is my bestest friend. I'll throw chicken and a bag or two of frozn veggies in a pot and search for some liquid. I've used Italian Seasoning, Red Thai Curry Paste, Various Lawry's Marinades, Pineapple Juice.... You can't mess up stir fry.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    If you shop the outside perimeter of the grocery store, that generally is a good start. My rule of thumb is, if there is a word in the ingredients that I can not pronounce, I do not eat it.

I am not the cleanest eater on this site nor the healthiest but I have a pretty healthy and tasty diet if you would like to take a gander at my food diary.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    This is what I try to do, as well :)

When you start telling yourself that you're not allowed to have certain things, that's when you start to get in trouble-- at least for me, anyway.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Real, unprocessed foods are good for you. Lean meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, and some dairy products. That said, you can still eat bad foods and lose weight. Bad foods are my favorite, hee hee.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Agreed, you are overcooking it.

And I thought I was UNDERcooking it *LOL* I don't know. I just dislike it... But will completely agree I am likely doing it wrong :)
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    1253885876_suicide.gif
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    And to the "Never Eat Anything Frozen" comment... that's bologna - less healthy than bologna actually. I would encourage you to chop up veggies and freeze them. I'd also encourage you to freeze any meat you're not eating within a couple of days. Hell, I'd go so far as to encourage you to put your veggies, meat, and a delicious marinade in a ziploc and freeze the whole damn thing! Freezer Meals, baby!

I read (heard?) somewhere that frozen veg/fruit are actually better in some cases because they are frozen immediately after picking instead of being picked, trucked somewhere and sitting in the grocery store for a bit before you get it. I do love going to my farmer's market and getting local produce that was either picked that day or the previous day though.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of good and bad.

To my morality, meat is bad (and fish, all food that includes killing sentient beings), food that has to be flown half way around the world is bad, and food for which the production process is significantly damaging the planet (soya in Brazil, crop spraying banana plantations, growing stuff in unnatural and hugely heated greenhouses in countries they aren't meant to grow) are all bad.

Things that are grown locally, preferably within walking distance of my house, and cause no one any harm in the production of them, are good.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and anything in moderation LOL. Anybody could see that by looking at my diary. I will not end my relationship with the "bad" things I love, I will just interact with them a little less ;)

Amen!
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options

^^this!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Bad foods are those that have obvious negative side effects (ie. allergies, high blood pressure, etc.) or those that lead to impulsive eating behavior. It really depends on the individual. If you can eat whatever you want and feel healthy and have no problems maintaining your weight, then really there are no bad foods. But most of us can't do that, and have to make some decisions on how to prioritize our food intake. I think what constitutes truly good or bad foods (those that affect the greatest number of people) is still very much up for debate.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Marking my place, for later!