Donated Blood Today-- Need to Eat More?

Options
Heyyy fabulous MFPs!

I donated blood today and already eat at a 300 cal deficit. Should I NOT eat at a deficit today? Does anyone have calorie-burning info for something like your body making up for the blood donated?

A weird question, but help is appreciated. Thanks! <3

Replies

• nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I actually asked this the last time I gave blood. The nurse said I was fine to stay under in calories (500 below maintenance), but not to go under that. She also suggested getting extra protein and iron-rich foods the whole week.
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    And extra fluids!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    And extra fluids!

^^ This, and if you're strict about limiting your salt intake, you can ease up for a few days - a little bit of extra salt will help you hold onto your fluids and bring your blood volume back up so you don't feel light-headed or pass out when you're working out (or even standing for a long time).

Extra iron is also a good idea :-)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Perfect!!! Thanks to all! ;D

<3
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about enough water to replace the fluid lost donating anbd sodium plus iron rich foods to help rebuild your iron which will be a little lower. To help you not feel faint you should eat ENOUGH but this can still be a deficit. Enough to maintain sufficent blood glucose levels.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It takes a few weeks to build up your blood supply, that's why the only let you donate every 8 weeks. So you don't need to eat more to make up for the energy it takes your body to make that pint of blood. It happens too slowly to burn enough calories to matter. It's not like breastfeeding.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Initially the first day just to get you from not fainting I would say low sodium, plenty of fluids and something carb'y like a bag of animal crackers or something. Did the trick for me last time. For whatever reason the donation center suggested I have the fruit juices for the sugars and what not in them.

I donated blood for the first time last month and I plan on being a continuing donator (couldnt before with being so big cholesterol was bad) and I use that day as a good excuse for a cheat day.

I saved someones life, I think warrants a package of oreos.