Yoga and Pilates, any advice for a beginner?

Options
My doctor highly recommended that I start doing them,
I have never done either so I was wondering if anyone
had any advice for tips(:

thanks!

Replies

• rasptorte
    rasptorte Posts: 29
    Options
    I have never tried pilates so I have no advice for you about that, but I love yoga. To begin with I took a couple of classes at our local community centre, and a friend of mine who is a yoga instructor gave me a couple of lessons so that I could get my form right. Now I practice at home using DVDs, because I find it more relaxing in the comfort of my own home. I would recommend that you take at least a few classes with an instructor and then try some DVDs to see what you like. I borrowed a couple from my library and found that I really liked Element Yoga for Beginners. The Yoga Journal website is a good resource as well. It has great pictures of yoga poses and some free yoga videos to try out. Good luck and enjoy.
  • Jeaninedj
    Jeaninedj Posts: 43
    Options
    I am a huge fan of pilates. If you can, go for private classes with a reformer (the big scary machine) but mat classes are great too. Both kick my butt and make sore muscles I didn't even know existed. I find the mat classes harder because it's all you but the reformer allows for good form. My mat classes also have no more than 5 people which allows for the instructor to monitor my form and call me out if i'm being lazy ;)

Yoga was too calm/slow for me and I couldn't get into it but I did feel content after it was all over. I feel wonderful after a good pilates workout. Both of them are way harder than you'd expect.

Both are great for lengthening your muscles. I lift weights and though I know i'll never get as bulky as a bodybuilder (that's why I have my slight aversion to weights), pilates counters it.

My advice: Stick with it and go at your own speed. I know mat pilates was hard (and still is after 6 months) but the benefits you reap (From either) will outweigh the soreness you feel the next few days.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Just do it! I have been practicing yoga for almost 10 years, through 2 pregnancies, and as a supplement to cardio and power lifting. I used it to rehab a back injury from lifting, and I really feel like it was one of the few things I've done that let me like my body. I have done pilates as well, and I also like that. If your life is fast paced, you might enjoy pilates better, but if you are looking for lots of stretching and static strength building, try yoga...good luck!
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I do yoga videos in my home. My advice it to take it slow and not push yourself at first. It doesn't feel like you are doing a lot at times but you are training your body to move differently and you are strengthening your muscles at the same time. So just pay close attention to what your body says and most importantly.. have fun!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have both and i end up doing more pilates then yoga, but I do enjoy both. I agree with everyone, take it slow, and listen to your body and mostly have fun :)
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I second that you should take at least a few classes to start. It helps to get your breathing and form in line. And if you work with a yoga studio, you can try a variety of yoga styles to see which will fit you best. Trust me, they are not all slow and relaxing. Many yoga styles are very fast-paced and dynamic...a fantastic workout. Once you have some classes under your belt and feel comfortable, you can take your routine home with some video instruction or just build a routine that you enjoy from the poses you learn in class. It's still a good idea to take a class every so often. I find that when I work out at home I tend to do all the poses that I enjoy most and don't really push myself in all areas. When I'm in class, I have to work harder.

Yoga is a wonderful fitness tool, for the body and the mind. Best of luck to you in your journey. Namaste :)