Eating over my protein

Options
What is the worst that happens if you go over your protein? Sometimes I go over 10 more then what is allotted. I am under in my calories, carbs and fiber..... At night I only eat protein and my veggies. Help????

Replies

• ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    I'd love to hear what the others say as well. I go over my protein + fiber everyday too. I found a way to make my calorie quota but I am still about 50-100 away from fullfilling my carbs.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    What is the worst that happens if you go over your protein? Sometimes I go over 10 more then what is allotted. I am under in my calories, carbs and fiber..... At night I only eat protein and my veggies. Help????

MFP has a small protein goal, so don't worry about it.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    thats fine. im always over on protein, in fact i aim to be over in it. MFP sets the protein levels quite low, and protein helps boost metabolism.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am always double over mine to what mfp says so is my wife.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Protein is the hottest burning food source there is and causes your metabolism to burn more calories and for a longer period of time. I eat atleast 3 x the amount that MFP. suggests I eat per day.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you are eating but I am eating at least 150 grams a day spread out through 6 meals.
  • angelic2032
    Options
    The only downside to too much protien is digestive problems...but since you're getting a lot of fibre - you should be fine! I just make sure to take fibre suppliments on the days when my diet is protien heavy.
  • scwink
    scwink Posts: 5
    Options
    You can adjust those macronutrient goals in your account settings - if you're getting the nutrients you need, why not get them in protein rather than as carbs?
  • imogenjade
    imogenjade Posts: 131
    Options
    it can affect your kidneys in the long term, make sure you drink plenty of fluids xx
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I eat over 130g of protein a day and about 30g of fiber. I am 5'6" and 160lbs. MFP's goals are too low in my opinion. You will be fine, unless you are eating massive amounts.
  • dorwozney
    Options
    I am always over my protein too. My protein allotment is way to low. Sometimes I am over them by lunch time.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising, you need the protein. Protein helps build muscle and new cells. I was told I didn't eat enough protein and so when I worked out I used my muscle for fuel and lost a lot of muscle. Now I am trying to build the muscle back and I eat between 100 and 130 g of protein, at least.
  • weezykid
    weezykid Posts: 50
    Options
    Calories are calories no matter what you are eating. Im sure your diet is healthy enough to worry about the numbers as much
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to build muscle then you should be eating 1 gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight. I try to hit 160 grams of protein per day which is 3 times over what MFP says I'm suppose to be eating. Overeating what MFP says about protein is not bad. In fact, I personally find it extremely hard to over eat in protein but very easy to over eat carbs.
  • marielouisehilton
    Options
    Do you think it is worth manually changing the targets for the carbs, fat and protein and if so what %?

I am usually over on protein and under on fats and calories as well.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    protein is the one thing you should NOT be worried about go over. at all. you can't get "too much protein".
  • justindsm
    justindsm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I purposely go over mine, the suggestion is too low if you're working out at all.
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how you do it! I shoot to be over 100g a day in protein but often don't make it :( I am constantly looking for ways to add protein so if you have some kind of protein secret, let me know!!!
    I will more than happily share with you my secrets to eating carbs if you like!! HAHAHA
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how you do it! I shoot to be over 100g a day in protein but often don't make it :( I am constantly looking for ways to add protein so if you have some kind of protein secret, let me know!!!
    I will more than happily share with you my secrets to eating carbs if you like!! HAHAHA

If you snack, I'll say that shifting the way you think of snacks is a big way to cut carbs, boost protein. One of my favorite go-to's when I'm busy? Quest Bars. If I'm near my fridge? 2 boiled eggs or a turkey and cheese roll-up. If I'm sitting at the office? I'll make a protein shake or have a handful of almonds. Think of "needing a snack" as "needing some good protein".
  • justindsm
    justindsm Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am constantly looking for ways to add protein so if you have some kind of protein secret, let me know!!!

Best meats: Chicken, skinless boneless baked, lots of it. Turkey, same deal. Fish, same deal.

Boiled Eggs, Peanut Butter, Nuts, and if all else fails, ISOPURE Protein shakes, 50g per drink very low fat/carb/calorie.