Best protein for women...

Options

Replies

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Personally I like Syntrax Nectar Sweets Whey Protein- the double stuffed cookie and the vanilla torte are my favorite so far!
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Any of the same supplements that men use are just fine. Protein is protein. It will NOT make you bulky. Not unless you happen to have testicles and produce lots of testosterone(and eat a calorie surplus and work out like a beast...).

If I use the stuff my husband has I only use one scoop instead of the serving size of two scoops to cut down on calories.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as protein for men vs protein for women.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    What's the best protein shake for women? or what are some good suppliments for women who want to build *SOME* muscle..-- long lean muscles.

Whatever tastes good to you.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Depends on tastes/food intolerances. I can't have dairy/soy/gluten so I use hemp protein, however, we don't need special whatever, we can use the same protein men use. We can even lift heavy!!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as protein for men vs protein for women.
    This.
  • jemko
    jemko Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like Now Foods Whey protein that comes unflavored. You can add it to anything and it doesn't alter the taste. It's especially good mixed with a cup of light chocolate soy milk. Chobani 0% Greek yogurt is also a great source of protein. Add a tiny bit of sweetener and fruit and it's delicious!
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I use soy protein. I know a lot of men avoid it because they claim it does something with your estrogen but I suggest you look it up because I'm not exactly sure and I don't want to find out because it's delicious :)
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I use soy protein. I know a lot of men avoid it because they claim it does something with your estrogen but I suggest you look it up because I'm not exactly sure and I don't want to find out because it's delicious :)

Soy isn't the boogeyman it's made out to be, but compared to milk-based proteins (whey/casein) it's an inferior source due to bio-availability.

Unless you have a dietary restriction, there's no reason to choose a vegetable-based protein supplement over whey. If you must do so, you may want to up your protein intake to account for the reduced bioavailability. (ie. if a soy-based supplement says it has 25g of protein per serving, count it as 20.)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I would suggest 100% whey and 100% casein......brand doesn't matter. .....Drink the whey after workouts and the casein before you go to bed at night.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I would suggest 100% whey and 100% casein......brand doesn't matter. .....Drink the whey after workouts and the casein before you go to bed at night.

Agreed... but I also like EAS Myoplex
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    What's the best protein shake for women?

homer-grass.gif

Haha! Exactly where my mind went too :laugh:
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to milk and gluten, but if you can find an affordable pea protein (I like NutraSumma), it is all natural and very easily digested (so it doesn't cause gas like many other proteins).
    Of course, if you CAN have milk, go for the whey or caseine since they're more affordable and easy to find, but if you can't, then pea protein is awesome.

... or there's always the free protein you can get from your SO (I couldn't resist, sorry).
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Keeping my mouth shut.....and my friends will understand why...lol

Try greek yogurt!
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Protein for men and women is the same. Anyone dieting should intake about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. If you can do this with food alone, you don't need a protein shake.

I use Body Fortress because it's cheap, decent tasting and I can buy it at the grocery store instead of making a separate trip or ordering online.

Protein alone does not make you gain muscle. For the most part, you have to eat more calories (energy) then you burn (all day not just during exercise) to gain muscle. Of course, most people here are actually dieting so they are eating less than they burn. Obese people, people new to lifting, or those returning to lifting might gain a little bit of muscle mass while dieting but it's certainly not enough to be concerned over.

I'm assuming by your "long lean" comment you are afraid of gaining huge "man-like" muscles. First, as I mentioned, you are not likely to gain any reasonable amount of muscle while dieting. Second, "man-like" muscles are man like because men have testosterone at much higher levels than women. Any woman who appears to have these types of muscles have taken interiors. Additionally, you cannot lengthen your muscles unless you grow your bones as they are attached. Anything that promises "long" muscles is just a marketing gimmick.

Yeah...what he said.
  • namasteb1tches
    Options
    Depends what your wanting to acheive, and what your lacking in your diet.

I use ladybird for a protein shake (post and pre workout) and BNS with oats for a wonderful start to the day.
  • mistylee0104
    mistylee0104 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump:smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i like whey. at the moment i'm using designer whey cus it's yummy.

also nothing is going to give you "longer muscles" unless you unattach them from your skeletal system and reattach them at a different location. muscle length is determined by genes and bone size