Would I gain if I upped cals??

Options
Hi all, recently starting to get into weight training however I find that I am absolutely ravenous and am now eating waaaay more than before :S all healthy cals, but I cant get my head around eating more than 1200-1600 a day - now I someimes eat like 2100!!!! (exercise cals etc). I'm a tall girl, just at 6ft but can that reaalllyyy justify a higher calorie intake?? Or should I tone down the strength training (never had this prob when I did good ol cardio). I bust
my *kitten* at least 6 times a week, often 7, sometimes strength and cardio others jyst cardio, move about a lot during the day (that is I'm not lemoning about - i'm like a little puppy, jyst bouncing around with energy to spare :P) do you guys think I'd be safe to eat a wee bit moaar? My BMR was tested and is about 1570 btw :) danke!!

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic where are you wanting to lose 18lbs from? What are your weight and height currently?

The answer is most probably. Your body will need to get used to the extra nourishment you're giving it. Weight loss also slows down when you're doing weight training but your inches will change. If you haven't start measuring?
  • KadianRM
    KadianRM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The taller and more active you are the more calls your body will burn up. If you are still trying to cut weight, continue to keep your calories tight and just eat higher protein foods more often...they will help you build muscle, they make you feel fuller longer bc they break down slower, and they can be low fat/low cal. I love making mini quiche cups :)) use the aluminum cupcake wrappers and fill them with veggies of your choice, low fat feta is great too, then pour egg whites over them (I buy the store brand egg white cartons). These are a great little 25-50 cal treat. Keep up the good work
  • Sofithomas
    Sofithomas Posts: 118
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic where are you wanting to lose 18lbs from? What are your weight and height currently?

The answer is most probably. Your body will need to get used to the extra nourishment you're giving it. Weight loss also slows down when you're doing weight training but your inches will change. If you haven't start measuring?

i'm about 5 ft 11.5 and 146, want to get dowb to about mid 130s - honestly I just want to lise body fat and look lean and athletic! :D
    I was thinking about this and thought would I still be able to lise fat if I gain on the scale :S

And kadianrm they sound delicious!!! I wanna try em :D
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Hi all, recently starting to get into weight training however I find that I am absolutely ravenous and am now eating waaaay more than before :S all healthy cals, but I cant get my head around eating more than 1200-1600 a day - now I someimes eat like 2100!!!! (exercise cals etc). I'm a tall girl, just at 6ft but can that reaalllyyy justify a higher calorie intake?? Or should I tone down the strength training (never had this prob when I did good ol cardio). I bust
    my *kitten* at least 6 times a week, often 7, sometimes strength and cardio others jyst cardio, move about a lot during the day (that is I'm not lemoning about - i'm like a little puppy, jyst bouncing around with energy to spare :P) do you guys think I'd be safe to eat a wee bit moaar? My BMR was tested and is about 1570 btw :) danke!!

Yes. It's definitely your choice of course but it sounds like your eating way too little for your height/activity level. It might eventually cause your body to go into storage and sabotage your weight loss. I'm only 5'5 and I would eat that and more. Definitely more.
    Again, up to you,
    Here's a good calculator to put in your height/weight/activity. It should tell you what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is. You can eat somewhat below the TDEE number and still lose.
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    You might gain a bit, temporarily. Give whatever you're going to try a month's trial -- don't get freaked out after a week.

I certainly wouldn't cut down the weight training in order to eat less.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Yes. It's definitely your choice of course but it sounds like your eating way too little for your height/activity level. It might eventually cause your body to go into storage and sabotage your weight loss. I'm only 5'5 and I would eat that and more. Definitely more.
    Again, up to you,
    Here's a good calculator to put in your height/weight/activity. It should tell you what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is. You can eat somewhat below the TDEE number and still lose.
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Ditto all that. I'm also only 5'5" and eat 2000-2400/day. If you are lifting weights and trying to build muscle you definitely need more food.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Well here's info for you- I'm WAY shorter than you at 5'1" and currently 154lbs. I regularly eat 2000+ calories and don't gain anything back, acutually lose slowly. EAT!! Your body needs it with all of that weight lifting.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    you might gain, you might not. you might gain in the first couple of weeks then level out.... but i guess its the age old you have to try to find out. its unpredicatable and varies within person. if i eat more than a certain amount then i know i'll gain, its just about knowing your body.