Exlax + Dog = help please...

Options
sharleengc
sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
I think one of my dogs got into my husbands exlax when I was at work...I came home and the box was crushed and the foil ripped and no pieces to be found...

Don't know when it happened, I left at 7:40 and I think hubby left between 8 & 8:30...not sure when it happened or if the box was already empty and just blew on the floor with the window open but there was nothing unpleasant here and I would like to avoid waking up to anything unpleasant as well...

Anyone have any ideas if it works the same on dogs or how long it would take to go through their system??

Replies

• Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think that's pretty bad. I'd call vet emerg now.
  • ljg0
    ljg0 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Call the Poison Control Center they may be able to offer advice.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to have to go to the vet too. Human meds and dogs don't mix very well I'm afraid.
  • jrose74
    jrose74 Posts: 27
    Options
    I would definately call the vet. My little dog ate 6 feet of bubble gum tape......not good at all for dogs. Better safe than sorry for the pooch.
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I would be calling the vet.
  • KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Call your vet asap! Not sure how laxative works on dogs, but chocolate is horrible for them. It works as a hallucigen on them I have heard.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I would call your vet, and ask about what they would suggest as a course of action. Good luck!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I would give them BOTH hydrogen peroxide if you are unsure which one got into it... 2 teaspoons should make them vomit (wait about 15 minutes and if they haven't vomited, repeat). Then call your vet ASAP... the active ingredients in ex lax are dangerous to animals. Please hurry!

ASPCA Emergency Line: 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435). I think its $50.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    vet nao kthxbye
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    There are emergency numbers for pets now.
    There didn't used to be. I had the human poison control line hang up on me when one of daogs ate some cold medicine.
    This was about 20 years ago.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    You need to go to the vet right away.
  • InkedInnocence
    InkedInnocence Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Agree... call or go to the vet!!
  • InkedInnocence
    InkedInnocence Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would give them BOTH hydrogen peroxide if you are unsure which one got into it... 2 teaspoons should make them vomit (wait about 15 minutes and if they haven't vomited, repeat). Then call your vet ASAP... the active ingredients in ex lax are dangerous to animals. Please hurry!

NOOOO... hydrogen peroxide is a poison, too!!
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just go to your vet. They can put an apomorphine tablet into the eyelid of your dog and he will vomit within 5 minutes.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Call your vet asap! Not sure how laxative works on dogs, but chocolate is horrible for them. It works as a hallucigen on them I have heard.

wrong..chocolate shuts down their liver and kidneys

NOOOO... hydrogen peroxide is a poison, too!!

Hydrogen peroxide acts like an emetic (makes them vomit). it is what is used in a vet clinic when the pill version does not work.

BUT you don't know when the dog ate the laxative, so it may be too late for H2O2, that must be administered within an hour or 2 of consumption of said toxic medication.

PLEASE call your vet.
    (I worked as a vet tech for 5 years)
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Too late for vomit I think. The medication would have been absorbed within 15 or 20 min. Now they need to minimalize damage:sick:
  • ChaosMoosie
    ChaosMoosie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Can you update us on your dog?

Depending on how large your dog is, the chocolate in the laxative may or may not cause any problem. There is a poison control center for pets - if everything came ok (for the dog and you) you may want to write this number down and keep it handy.

800-213-6680

There's a 39$ charge per instance but you get good info.

You can also call the ASPCA hotline at (888) 426-4435 The charge there is 65$ per call.

If you're in the UK, there are different numbers. All this information is available on Google.

I would never give anything to a dog or cat without consulting a vet. You can do more harm than good pretty easily.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Please go to the vet or animal hospital. the medication is toxic, plus the chocolate is also toxic to dogs
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Put the doggie outside with lots of water and a good dose of Pepto.