If I'm just walking do I still need a "recovery day"?

Options
2»

Replies

• terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I believe my heart rate monitor. I am walking at an almost jog. I do not eat any of my exercise calories. I lose on average 4 pounds a week. As a matter of fact I have 2 differant heart rate monitors. A polar F-4 and a Nike one. They both say the same thing. As I stated before I keep my heart rate at a constant 70%-74% the entire walk. I have alot to lose. The more you weigh the more you burn. :smile: Cindy :heart:

Cindy~

Which HRM do you prefer out of the two you have because that will be a soon purchase for me to use in conjunction with my Nike+

TIA

Fiona:)

137112.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Fiana, I love my Polar ! I can not imagine exercising without it. I love to challange myself to burn more each workout. Cindy :heart:
  • terraskye
    Options
    Fiana, I love my Polar ! I can not imagine exercising without it. I love to challange myself to burn more each workout. Cindy :heart:

Cindy~

Thanks:) I'm going to look for that F4 here in Edmonton:) I'm excited now..lol
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F-4 I enjoy it so much that I should be the spokes-person I tell everyone about it lol
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Okay, you be the Rep for Polar and i'll be the rep for my Reebok XT. How many times have you heard.

I LOVE my reebok XT. I got it on ebay for $40 brand new. It's super easy to use and works like a dream!! :laugh:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You burn 800-900 caolries with your 4 mile walk?? Or is this in a week? I walk 4 miles every day as well and I guess I wasn't aware it was that much - I do it in about 50 minutes. I think something must be wrong with my ped??

cindy sunshine burns more because she weighs more, the lighter she gets the harder she will have to work but she has had amazing results so far! :drinker:

Doesn't that just SUCK! I'm starting to see that happen now. I was able to burn roughly 700 calories in an hour and 15 mintues and today at the gym I burned almost 100 calories less in roughly the same amount of time. BOOOO!! Stupid body adapting.:grumble: :grumble:
  • Jill42MN
    Jill42MN Posts: 35
    Options
    A heart monitor?? Is this the same as my pedometer?? I am not sure I have ever heard of this heart monitor - can you give me the total namebrand so I can look it up?? Thanks!!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    A pedometer measures only the number of step taken.

A Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) measures current heart rate, minimum & maximum heart rates, calories burned, fat burned, % of max heart rate during exercise, and lots more. It is a great tool for anyone seeking health and fitness. There are a great number of companies who make this product,,,Polar, Reebok, Timex, Garmin, etc...

Look for the HRM that has a watch AND chest strap, as they are the most accurate.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F6....

Be careful not eating exercise calories - you may find as you lose more that you can't get away with it...
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    doing cardio is fine every single day of the week regardless if your walking/jogging/running/swimming ect..- You can choose to take a day off if you like- but you DO need a rest day when you are hitting the weights with your muscle groups--

I disagree. Mainly, I think you should listen to your body. It'll tell you when you need a break. But I know that for running, if you're training or going hard, you still need a day of rest at least every week or so for your muscles to adjust and repair. Running creates muscle tears and jostles your insides...one day of rest is a good idea, even if you think you're doing okay.

But for walking - just listen to your body. If something hurts, don't push too hard past it. Give it rest. You don't want to injur something that will prevent you from walking in the future!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    This past week, I did 3 days of walk/jog (Couch to 5k program), 1 day of strength, 1 day of walking, 1 day of lawnmowing and landscaping (me and a shovel - how funny is that) and 1 day of cardio - rowing and elliptical....the day of walking only was what I counted as a rest day.

There have been weeks that I've taken 2 rest days - I listen to how my body feels. I do not want to get injured or it will delay my progress.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I listen to how my body feels. I do not want to get injured or it will delay my progress.

Exactly. :smile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    doing cardio is fine every single day of the week regardless if your walking/jogging/running/swimming ect..- You can choose to take a day off if you like- but you DO need a rest day when you are hitting the weights with your muscle groups--

I disagree. Mainly, I think you should listen to your body. It'll tell you when you need a break. But I know that for running, if you're training or going hard, you still need a day of rest at least every week or so for your muscles to adjust and repair. Running creates muscle tears and jostles your insides...one day of rest is a good idea, even if you think you're doing okay.

But for walking - just listen to your body. If something hurts, don't push too hard past it. Give it rest. You don't want to injur something that will prevent you from walking in the future!

Well when your in Basic Training you run everyday no rest days-- When I weight train I take rest days but my cardio is fine- Especially for those walking that isn't high impact enough
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I burn 800-900 walking 4 miles. I walk the 4 miles in 64 minutes. So by keeping my heart rate at 70% -74% for 64 minutes I burn 800-900 calories. Cindy :heart:

Cindy,
    You go go go girl!!! What an inspiration! :drinker:

Terraskye, if you are walking at a slow pace then I would do it everyday. If you are really moving your body and your muscles get sore, then I would take a recovery day. Someone just told me the same thing yesterday.....listen to your body!

Good luck to you!
  • terraskye
    Options
    I burn 800-900 walking 4 miles. I walk the 4 miles in 64 minutes. So by keeping my heart rate at 70% -74% for 64 minutes I burn 800-900 calories. Cindy :heart:

Cindy,
    You go go go girl!!! What an inspiration! :drinker:

Terraskye, if you are walking at a slow pace then I would do it everyday. If you are really moving your body and your muscles get sore, then I would take a recovery day. Someone just told me the same thing yesterday.....listen to your body!

Good luck to you!

Thanks...I decided to take a recovery day today. I had a hard time sleeping last night as my legs were pretty achey.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I realy think it's wise if you listen to your body regardless of what exercise you're doing. I hope you feel better soon. :heart: Cindy :heart:
  • terraskye
    Options
    I realy think it's wise if you listen to your body regardless of what exercise you're doing. I hope you feel better soon. :heart: Cindy :heart:

Thanks Cindy

I was going to yesterday and had really good intentions to rest but then I felt a bit guilty so I when I got home from work I went for a quick 30 minute walk..lol
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

Thanks Cindy

I was going to yesterday and had really good intentions to rest but then I felt a bit guilty so I when I got home from work I went for a quick 30 minute walk..lol

LOL I do the same thing! I have every intention of taking a rest day then end up doing something anyways because of the guilt.
  • terraskye
    Options

Thanks Cindy

LOL I do the same thing! I have every intention of taking a rest day then end up doing something anyways because of the guilt.

LOL Luckily it snowed/rained today so I had to take the day off:) I hope i can walk in the morning though as I really missed it today