Traveling for work.......helpful tips please :)

Options
Hi everyone,

My boss recently asked if I would like to attend conferences throughout the country this summer. I am very excited about this opportunity. However I do not want to lose track of my fitness goals.

With that being said, I need your helpful ideas and tips to make good choices. How can I stay away from the sugary, hi-cal snacks? What types of foods should I eat/avoid? How should I keep my hunger under control without picking up a snickers bar at the airport???? ( i can so see that happening, me with snickers and an US Weekly)

Thanks so much for your helpful ideas! I look forward to reading your traveling food tips :)

Replies

• shanacleo
    shanacleo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My boss recently asked if I would like to attend conferences throughout the country this summer. I am very excited about this opportunity. However I do not want to lose track of my fitness goals.

With that being said, I need your helpful ideas and tips to make good choices. How can I stay away from the sugary, hi-cal snacks? What types of foods should I eat/avoid? How should I keep my hunger under control without picking up a snickers bar at the airport???? ( i can so see that happening, me with snickers and an US Weekly)

Thanks so much for your helpful ideas! I look forward to reading your traveling food tips :)
  • mfinney
    mfinney Posts: 314
    Options
    there are plenty of healthy snacks out there... i think the most important thing is you have to commit to yourself that you will stick to your healthy choices and not give in to those urges to binge. instead of us weekly, pick up a women's health. they have great nutrition and exercise ideas (no gym required workouts too) and will probably give you extra motivation to keep your healthy lifestyle going on the road. good luck!
  • manganello16
    Options
    Just continue to keep a food journal. If you still have to see everything you're eating, you're less likely to mess up because you're traveling. Also, don't forget to keep site of your goals! You know what you want, just use this as an opportunity to challenge yourself and prove that you're ready to stick with your plans!:happy:

192119.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I would bring some travel friendly snacks like almonds (you can get them in those handy containers!), apples, laughing cow babybel cheese, 100 calorie packs - stuff like that! Oh, also you can stash some 100 calorie orville redenbacher popcorn bags since most hotel rooms come with a microwave. Make sure to take full advantage of the hotels gym or go walk/run around the new city and site see! Sounds exciting! Have fun!
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    Wow! Sounds like a great summer!

Suggestions:

Date and walnut bars (found at whole foods)
    Protein bars of your choice
    veggie packs you can make up in single serving sizes and start your trip with. (Jicama, cauliflower, snap peas, brocc, carrots, etc)

almonds

Those are things that I carry in my purse on a regular basis. I don't reach for the snickers that way. The date and walnut bars are so delicious and sweet, I like them better than snickers now and ALWAYS have one with me! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You can make healthy choices while travelling. Instead of a snickers bar, take some healthy snacks with you. Energy bars are good. I take my Sigg water bottle and fill it up after I go through security.

At restaurants, you can usually make good choices. Ask for more veggies and less starch. And if you are staying in hotels, try to book one taht has a gym or a pool or even both