Learn To Long Distance Run? Running To Lose Weight? W/ Chart

Options

Replies

• MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    If you want some motivation, I went from not being able to jog for more than 30 seconds in July of 2011, to running for 3h 39m (18.1 miles) non stop this last weekend. I followed the couch to 5 k, on days when I had lots of energy, I did the intervals twice in a row. then I did bridge to 10k, and just kept going forward.

Make sure you have good shoes, good stretching, good diet.

Have fun.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can't see the chart (most pics are blocked at work) but I just started the c25k. I've signed up to do a 5k in June with my daughter.

I used to run 15 years or so ago and it's the way I started then on my own. Walk, run, walk, run ... with increasing intervals of running until you finally run the entire course. It really is a great way to get up to speed (pun intended).
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do you ever run outside? I really struggled on the C25K when I did it a few years ago when I was on the treadmill...I had in my mind all the numbers and I'd get frustrated with myself if I could't do it (i.e. I have to 'run' at 5.0 or 5.2)...I moved it outside and it took speed out of the equation since you don't know how fast your going, you are doing what you comfortably can....and I think as a beginning runner, the goal is to work up to the distance and then worry about the speed later. I understand inside might be the best now (weather wise) but I'd recommend hitting the street with an app that beeps for your timed walk breaks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed at all now. Once you have the endurance for the distance, you can work on speed.

I started with C25K in December 2010, walking at 3.5 and running at 5.0 mph. In about three months, I was running at 5.5 mph on the treadmill, but it was really hard. When I ran my first race, which was 4.5 miles and I had to throw in some walk intervals, I averaged a pace of 5.8 mph! So even though I had such a hard time running 5.5 on the treadmill, once I got outside and had some race day endorphins kicking in... I was able to go faster even with some walk-breaks.

A week later, I ran my first 5k and averaged 6.2mph with no walking.

A few months later, I ran five miles at a 9 minute mile pace, or 6.7 mph.

I didn't race at all over the summer, but continued running outdoors in my hilly neighborhood. Hills are the devil, but they build speed.

In October, I ran a 10k at 7 mph and a 5k at 7.5 mph, or an 8 minute mile. :smile:

Then I got a stress fracture and had to take a break, but my first race since then is this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do now. :smile:
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Currently on the Couch to 5K myself and finding it very do-able and am very happy with it!!!!
  • achiever091011
    Options
    Running for Beginners: Weight Loss Walk-Run
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/weight-loss-program-walk-run

Intermediate Running for Weight Loss: Running Program
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/intermediate-running-weightloss-program

Used these 6 week running for weight loss plans from Women's Health Mag when I first got off the couch. During the winter, after the beginners program (analogous to c25k), I combined other non-running high-intensity cardio programs with less frequent running until my pace improved, and the weather outside was better for running, then continued on with the program for intermediate runners.

No cool charts, but provides an alternative for anyone looking to get off the couch faster.
  • ObsessivelyObsessingObsessions
    Options
    Pure cardio will sabotage you after a while just be aware. I was running upwards of 8-10 miles per run last fall and the scale wasn't budging. Once I started putting strength training back into my workouts, the pounds began moving again.

ut oh... :-( suggest some stuff for me to do then... for when I hit that moment... ppppllleeeaaasseee...
    Options
    C25K! If you have an iPhone or Android you can download an app that will give you audible queues to walk/run while still allowing you to play music.

Repeat weeks as necessary and don't go to fast. If 4.8 feels right then go with that. You will get faster over time if you keep running. The goal of the program is to just get you started building your base which means getting your body used to the idea of running.

I moved to 4.5mph for my "running" today. Thank you very much! ;-)
    Options
    I recently started C25K again, and at week 7 I've quit, the reason why is I just ran the full 5Km on day on the treadmill, so I did it, the biggest block for me was the one between my ears :laugh:

I've now taken it off the treadmill and outside, I figured out a course near my house that is safe to run (wide sidewalks) and I rode it on my bicycle with a very accurate cycling computer to get my actual 5Km distance. I've now run that course 4 times, and each time it is getting easier and I'm getting faster. Yes it is hard work, yes my legs HATE me right now, but I have not felt so fit in YEARS.

I love saying to my wife "I'm going get a run in" and then running 5 Km!

Just keep at it, slow down to the point where you can finish a run, then slowly increase your pace. I'm now running at 9 Km/h or about 5.6 Mph, not fast, not slow. By the summer time I hope to up that to 10 Km/h or about 6.2 Mph, should be able to do it.

Good luck!

My big head has been a problem when it comes to speed. It's like I have to see a certain speed or I can't appreciate what I'm already putting my body through. I'd die to run outside!!!! OMG that's one of my goals is to run the local rail trail. Okay, I should definitely slow down... if you're running at 5.6mph as a champ, and I'm running at 5mph for my intervals in the second day... I'm overextending myself! This makes me feel much better! Thank you! How should I build speed? I'm afraid I'll never speed up if I don' start that way?

When I started running two years ago, my "run" was at 4.0 and then I built up to a 4.5 run. I was able to do that for 4 miles at once. That was all on my own with the treadmill. Then last summer I did the C25K and did the runs at 5.0... won't lie there were times with the long (20+ minutes) that I had to slow down at th end, but now I can run faster and longer than before. Use this as a starting point that makes you work but doesn kill you. That guide or C25K should help you learn to love/like running :wink:

I have to say, I always loved the way it just pushed all my stress from my body... so I can't wait to be a real runner!
    Options
    Bump- i can't wait to start C25K. This post has given me so much inspiration.

Aww!!! I'm sooo glad! I'm only on week one and I felt like today (the third day) was easier than the other days! Add me if ya need any help! ;-)
    Options
    This is the same as C25k. If you have a smartphone you can download this as an app for free. I completed this program last Thursday, March 8th, and ran a 5k race on Saturday. It's definitely doable. Just take your time, don't get discouraged, and it's okay if you feel the need to repeat a week. Good luck to you :flowerforyou:

Is it the same? Thank you soo much. I use my iPod for music, but I'm interested in the app... I'm just wonderng how they know when I should speed up/down? I have a Blackberry...? lol Thank you soo much!
    Options
    If you want some motivation, I went from not being able to jog for more than 30 seconds in July of 2011, to running for 3h 39m (18.1 miles) non stop this last weekend. I followed the couch to 5 k, on days when I had lots of energy, I did the intervals twice in a row. then I did bridge to 10k, and just kept going forward.

Make sure you have good shoes, good stretching, good diet.

Have fun.

I have Nike Airmaxs? Are those good? lol... Thanks for the inspiration!
    Options
    Do you ever run outside? I really struggled on the C25K when I did it a few years ago when I was on the treadmill...I had in my mind all the numbers and I'd get frustrated with myself if I could't do it (i.e. I have to 'run' at 5.0 or 5.2)...I moved it outside and it took speed out of the equation since you don't know how fast your going, you are doing what you comfortably can....and I think as a beginning runner, the goal is to work up to the distance and then worry about the speed later. I understand inside might be the best now (weather wise) but I'd recommend hitting the street with an app that beeps for your timed walk breaks.

I think the treadmill helps me stay honest... Now with that being said... I haven't tried the program outside. My goal is to eventually run the railtrails in my community. I can't wait too! I'm 208lbs... so running is a bit of a *****, but I love it.
    Options
    Don't worry about speed at all now. Once you have the endurance for the distance, you can work on speed.

I started with C25K in December 2010, walking at 3.5 and running at 5.0 mph. In about three months, I was running at 5.5 mph on the treadmill, but it was really hard. When I ran my first race, which was 4.5 miles and I had to throw in some walk intervals, I averaged a pace of 5.8 mph! So even though I had such a hard time running 5.5 on the treadmill, once I got outside and had some race day endorphins kicking in... I was able to go faster even with some walk-breaks.

A week later, I ran my first 5k and averaged 6.2mph with no walking.

A few months later, I ran five miles at a 9 minute mile pace, or 6.7 mph.

I didn't race at all over the summer, but continued running outdoors in my hilly neighborhood. Hills are the devil, but they build speed.

In October, I ran a 10k at 7 mph and a 5k at 7.5 mph, or an 8 minute mile. :smile:

Then I got a stress fracture and had to take a break, but my first race since then is this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do now. :smile:

Well I bid you good luck! I can't wait to run at those speeds! It will be the time of my life! Thank you soo much for sharing. Now I think I will be a running beast... good going! lol ;-)
    Options
    Currently on the Couch to 5K myself and finding it very do-able and am very happy with it!!!!

Agreed!
    Options
    Running for Beginners: Weight Loss Walk-Run
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/weight-loss-program-walk-run

Intermediate Running for Weight Loss: Running Program
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/intermediate-running-weightloss-program

Used these 6 week running for weight loss plans from Women's Health Mag when I first got off the couch. During the winter, after the beginners program (analogous to c25k), I combined other non-running high-intensity cardio programs with less frequent running until my pace improved, and the weather outside was better for running, then continued on with the program for intermediate runners.

No cool charts, but provides an alternative for anyone looking to get off the couch faster.

Well thank you for sharing! Maybe I'll mix it up on my days off from running!
  • sarge634
    sarge634 Posts: 42
    Options
    my hubby says you burn more calories when you run,my problem is i cant run even when i start jogging my knees get wobbly and my ankles get weak not to mention im gasping for air
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Re: speeds... In my opinion, anything faster than sitting on a couch is speedy! :)

My sentiment exactly! I'm actually just finishing up C25k and have a 5k scheduled for a week and a half from now (terrified... but I won't die... even if I have to walk some). Anyways, my jogging is only at 3.5. Most people walk that fast... However, for me, a 300lb gal, I'm proud!

Also, thanks, this really encouraged me :)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love charts! :)

Try to run outside as much as you can, i find it way more motivating than inside on a treadmill. and you have scenery and fresh air.

Running with a group or a friend also help to motivate you!

:)

good luck!!
    Options
    my hubby says you burn more calories when you run,my problem is i cant run even when i start jogging my knees get wobbly and my ankles get weak not to mention im gasping for air

My knees felt crappy today. I think it's because I didn't take break days... as it says. It's just easier for me to do it Monday-Thursday. lol! Although, I'm taking tomorrow off! ;-)