Rowing Machine?

Options
kendib
kendib Posts: 155 Member
I would like to add the rowing machine to my workout routine, my gym has some machines. I have a pretty good handle on the strength, cardio, etc. but would like some more diversity in my workout. I have searched for this topic but didn't find an answer.

I am relatively good shape, can run a 5k and have been lifting and am a past athlete.

Question:

Where do you start? How do I use the machine? How many reps? What exercises do you pair this machine with?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about the rowing cardio machine or the weight lifting rowing machine?
  • kendib
    Options
    The cardio one.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    You sound like you're more fit than me, and I use the rowing machine for a set amount of time, and just try to keep my Watts up on each pull (and increase my average Watts & speed over time).
  • kendib
    Options
    I'm working on getting fit and still have a ways to go. My goal is to run a marathon in April on 2013.

Watts? On the machine? I know nothing about these machines and have no clue where to start?

What average watts are you trying for? I don't even know what would be considered good.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I just sit down, set the timer for 10 minutes, strap my feet down, and start pulling.

The screen display on the machines @ my gym tell you a bunch of data, but on every pull, a number pops up to show how hard you're pulling, measured in Watts. I'm very much a beginner, and on a medium intensity setting, most of my pulls are 22, 31, or 43 Watts.

If I decrease the resistance a little, I can get mostly 43 & 57 Watt pulls, with an occasional 75, 95, or 119 on an especially good pull.

I'm also using WW P+ for my food plan right now, and in their Activity Points system, they have options for rowing @ 50 or 100 watts. I use the 50 one, but I guess people with better fitness can routinely pull around 100 Watts.

My husband's pretty fit, and one day that we got to the gym together, we did a 10 minute race, and at a medium resistance, he pulled closer to a 100 W average to my 50-ish.

Anyway, my approach is to just try it, and focus on personal improvement, whether it be endurance (going longer time) or efficiency (distance) or strength (watts).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to Cencept2's training pages

http://www.concept2.com/us/training/resources.asp

personally I usually just get on for a half hour at a time and just row and shoot for a minimum of 6,000m per session.
  • kendib
    Options
    Thank you for all your help. I will try it this week! That link was exactly what I was looking for.