Help...Can't have a Bowel Movement!!

Options

Replies

• rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    Coffee (keeps me ridiculously regular) and fiber (quinoa, beans, broccoli, barley, etc)! However, I notice that when I lose weight, I don't poop very often. Probably every other day. My friend in med school thinks it's because my body is absorbing most everything I eat (it's mostly healthy and very little junk) so I don't have anything left to poop! However, since it's been so long, checking in with your doctor is probably a good choice.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - a visit to the doctor would be most appropriate. MFP advise is NOT medical advise - and could potentially be (inadvertently) harmful.
  • UncensoredMomma
    Options
    Healthier diet, exercise and coffee has helped me and my severe AND inherited issues! ;)
  • amandacolletti
    Options
    OMG me too
    thanks goodness i thought i was alone!!!
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    My nursing interventions for patients that can't have a BM are;

get them walking/moving
    high fibre diet + water+++++++++++
    privacy in the bathroom
    Prune juice, warmed
    Herbal teas
    stool softener (colace) or Sennosides (senokot)

Personally though, coffee gets me moving in NO TIME. :):)
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I find that on days where I have a salad for a meal as well as a bunch of raw veggies as a snack, and a couple of pieces of fruit, I am EXTREMELY able to go to the bathroom! I second the suggestion of psyllium husks, and prunes also help, if you don't mind the taste. If increasing your fiber intake doesn't help, definitely go to the doctor - using stool softeners becomes "addictive" to the point where you can't go without them.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The more you use laxatives, the more your body gets used to them. Drinking water alone doesn't help bring water down to your lower intestine. That's the role of fiber. Incorporate a bit more fiber in your diet and see what happens because that's going to be the very first thing your doctor tells you. And if you tell him/her you already tried that then you get a second visit out of the way.
  • cassieko
    cassieko Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Most of the fiber supplements you buy in the stores (except Metamucil) are soluble fiber - those are actually bulk-forming and can constipate you. If you're using a lot of stool softeners/laxatives, your body can become reliant on those to have a BM.

If you are eating a lot of protein, or taking supplements with a lot of calcium or iron, that can also cause constipation.
    Do you eat enough fruits and vegetables? Do you eat whole grains or refined grains? How much water are you drinking? How much are you exercising?

I feel like more than half of my job is talking about how to stop being constipated
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    never had this problem. what type of stuff are you eating? if you eat recommended servings of fresh fruit and veggies that should get you right.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Coffee and dried apricots! Works for me!
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of problems over the years and what helped me was making sure I am well hydrated and going on a vegetarian diet. Seriously! I do eat some meat sometimes but I have found that if I do a vegetarian diet for a while I go regularly every day...as soon as I add meat back into the equation I start going less normal and sometimes a week or more pass! I also make sure I get plenty of fiber. I get the high fiber breads, the splenda with fiber, etc.

"an apple a day keeps the doctor away"
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    after a while your body actually gets used to having laxatives/etc in it, so you in a way get "addicted." you really might need a Dr's help figuring out a plan :(

good luck!
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    drink hot water and lemon,,,
  • amandacolletti
    Options
    yes i excersie 5 days a week...walk 3 miles...i have lost 38lbs in 2months....not taking no supplements...and yes i eat alot of fruit..more so than veggies...and yes i drink plenty of water
    Most of the fiber supplements you buy in the stores (except Metamucil) are soluble fiber - those are actually bulk-forming and can constipate you. If you're using a lot of stool softeners/laxatives, your body can become reliant on those to have a BM.

If you are eating a lot of protein, or taking supplements with a lot of calcium or iron, that can also cause constipation.
    Do you eat enough fruits and vegetables? Do you eat whole grains or refined grains? How much water are you drinking? How much are you exercising?

I feel like more than half of my job is talking about how to stop being constipated
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My personal, non-medical opinion based off the best of my knowledge:

-Fiber can be constipating if you don't drink enough water. You say you're drinking enough, but try upping your intake just a little. It could help.
    -If you're on any medications, or began taking a new vitamin, that can constipate you. Try to use vitamins from food sources rather than synthetic ones. --And always take with a meal and lots of water.
    -For some natural relief, try drinking prune juice (gross) or eating prunes (delicious!) with LOTS of water, and maybe a cup of coffee. Go for a walk or exercise in some way, it helps move things through your colon.
    -Also, since changing your diet, have you been eliminating FATS? Fat/oil helps lubricate the colon so matter slides through better (this is why you can use mineral oil as a laxative...bleh lol) Try incorporating some good fat back into your diet. Use olive oil to make a vinaigrette for your salads, enjoy avocado on a sandwich, eat some nut butters, or try oily fish such as salmon.
    All with plenty of water!

Good luck, hope you find some relief soon!
  • DJParrish01
    DJParrish01 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If I eat an orange, I better be near a toilet.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I would be off to a doctor after one week as Im guessing you would of tried everything under the sun after it being this long.

Something doesnt sound good there....
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    chocolate milk on an empty stomach and good ole laxatives do it all the time
  • Janikua
    Janikua Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar with warm water, once or twice per day. You can take it for as long as needed and also helps loosing weight. This is the only thing ever worked for me and I have tried like almost everything
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should see your doctor if you get no relief from the suggestions posted here.

Things that can help you go...

1 Sunsweet Prunes they are very good. My Grams old solution and it does work.

2 If you own a juicer.... fresh apple juice will clean you out. Not store bought juice.

3 Vitamin C sometimes will help with 3,000 mg. you will go by morning

4 Drink a beverage that contains caffeine (such as coffee or tea), as caffeine tends to stimulate your bowels.

Yes! There are foods that tend to be constipating and there are foods that tend to help your digestive system process food and help get rid of the waste. Foods containing fiber can help prevent constipation. Fiber is found in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes, and nuts.

Some medical conditions such as diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, low thyroid, and pregnancy can cause constipation. Medications such as strong pain pills, antidepressants, and antihistamines can also cause constipation. Most of the time, however, constipation happens for reasons such as waiting too long to go to the bathroom and not having enough fiber in your diet. The good news is that dietary and lifestyle changes can keep you “regular” and help you feel better.

12908857.png