Anyone got a slow cooker thai beef curry recipe/indian curry

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
Hi

I have some diced brisket which I've taken out of the freezer to defrost - I don't really know what to do with it in terms of slow cooking a curry. I'm pretty broke at the moment so can't afford expensive cuts of meat, plus would like to experiment with using the cheaper cuts more.

If anyone has any recipes suitable for diced brisket that would be awesome - I don't mind how spicy! I have any number of herbs and spices available, so go wild... also have coconut milk, canned tomatoes etc in!

Thanks in advance :)

Heather :)

Replies

• bugnsamsmom
    bugnsamsmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    All Recipes dot com is my 'go to' for recipes.

I typed in slow cooker beef curry and this this one came up...Spicy Beef Curry Stew for the Slow Cooker. sounds good.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spicy-beef-curry-stew-for-the-slow-cooker/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=slow cooker beef curry&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • 2Phat1
    2Phat1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is a goat curry recipe I just loaded to the Recipe blog. You could easily replace the goat meat with brisket. (but try it with goat when you can afford some. It is wonderful)

Goat, cabbage and kidney bean curry

This simple and tasty goat curry is mildly spiced, low in fat, high in protein and only takes 30 minutes preparation. Slow cooked the meat falls off the bone. A hearty meal for any season and the flavours develop in the fridge as leftovers for another night.

Ingredients

Curry spice mix
    2 tbsp black peppercorns
    2 tbsp coriander powder
    4 garlic cloves
    2 inch piece of fresh ginger root
    1 tbsp dried curry leaves
    2 tomatoes (or 1 tomato and 1 roasted and skinned/seeded capsicum for a richer flavour)
    1 onion
    1/2 cup water (125ml)
    1 tsp vegetable oil
    Goat (600g cubed, meat only or 1.1kg in pieces on the bone)
    4 cups cabbage, chopped
    1 can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
    4 shallots sliced thinly
    1 cup water

Directions

1. Dry roast the peppercorns, curry leaves and coriander powder for 3 to 5 minutes
    2. Sweat off the onion and garlic and ginger for 7 minutes in 1 tsp of vegetable oil
    3. Add the dry spices and onion, garlic and ginger together into a blender with the 1/2 cup of water
    4. Add the tomatoes (or tomato and capsicum to the blender
    5. Blend to a coarse paste
    6. Marinate the goat meat in the spice mix for 2 hours in the fridge
    7. Place the goat meat and spice mix into the slow cooker/crockpot
    8. Add the chopped cabbage, red kidney beans and sliced shallots
    9. Add one cup of water
    10. Cover and cook for 4 to 6 hours (you can't overcook this curry so 8+ hours is possible)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Checkout my blog (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/riz9007 )for authentic Indian recipes. The good thing about Indian food is that most of the time the cut of the animal dont really matter so I think anyone on a budget would appreciate it

Edit: I add recipes based on my friends requests and my mood so if you'd like to see a particular recipe, I'm sure I can grab something for you and put it up
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks! I love love love Indian cuisine and Malaysian cuisine, so I'm sure they'll all be a winner for me :)

Thanks again :)
  • dawnkykong
    dawnkykong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump...so I can read the blog later, lovvvvveeee Indian food!
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have an awesome chicken curry dish, and it's really easy:

1-1.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts
    1/2 stick butter
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup honey
    2-3 tbsp curry powder ( to taste)
    Tbsp lime juice
    1/4 cup raisins
    Basmati rice ( 1 cup dry wih 2 cups water)
    Mango chutney

Preheat oven to 400
    Lay chicken out in baking pan
    Mix all other ingredient, except raisins, in a saucepan and heat over lo- med heat until mixed well. Add raisins and stir in. Remove from heat. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover with foil.
    Place in oven and cook 20 min.
    Start rice.
    Remove foil and cook another 20-30 min., basting frequently (3-4 times). It will become soupy as water is released from chicke, but it's ready when the sauce starts to thicken like a glaze.
    Place over a bed of rice.
    Serve with a tbsp or two of mango chutney.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    balti

for the sauce.

2 oinions
    1tbsp each ginger and garlic paste
    can chopped tomatoes
    1tsp paprike
    1/2tsp of each, tumeric, cumin, coiander and chilli powders
    3 crushed cardamon pods
    black pepper

fry onion ginger garlic for 5 min, add tinned toms and spices, and simmer for 20min
    let cool a little and blitz to a sauce in food processor

for the rest,

1 oinion chopped
    2 garlic crushed
    2 capsicums chopped
    coriander leaf
    meat.
    fry onion and garlic for 5 min, add capsicum and fry for another 4 min, add meat cook till sealed, mix the sauce in and
    place in slow cooker medium 4 hours on low 6hrs, or just simmer on stove for 20 min.

low in cal fat and carb
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump