Couldn't get it up today ...

Options
wk9t
wk9t Posts: 237 Member
... my heart rate, my heart rate! What were you thinking!

Seriously now. I went to the gym today and did my normal routine but I had a very hard time getting my heart rate up into my training zone and also maintaining my heart rate. I normally do about 10 - 12 minutes on the treadmill as a warm up then move on to resistance training for 1 hour. I have always been able to get my heart rate into the upper end of my training zone on the treadmill and I can keep it in the middle to upper part of the zone for the remainder of my workout. Today, for some reason, I had a hard time getting into my zone and my HR would drop rapidly between sets ... sometimes it would drop completely out of the zone. I have been going to the gym 3 - 4 days a week since the first week of December 2011 and as the weights get easier I increase the resistance. I always keep my time between sets to less than 30 seconds.

My workout felt good today ... I didn't feel any weakness or sluggishness. I'm very curious why I had such a hard time keeping my heart rate up. Any ideas?

Replies

• liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    HRM on the fritz? Or, maybe time to switch up the routine.
  • wk9t
    Options
    HRM on the fritz? Or, maybe time to switch up the routine.

The HRM is less than 2 months old. No indication that it is malfunctioning. I was thinking a change in routine might be warranted.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    See what the HRM says next time you work out. Then change the routine.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Are you complaining that your body is capable of recovering between sets? Up the weight or rest less.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem tonight...but I think its because I didn't eat enough today like a dummy.
  • wk9t
    Options
    Are you complaining that your body is capable of recovering between sets? Up the weight or rest less.

Not complaining, just curious.