Your Favorite Sous Vide recipes

Options
Bookers23
Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
Hey everyone, I have been hooked on Sous vide cooking lately and was hoping people had some good ideas. I have done all the basics from 72 hour short ribs to salmon and the best lemon pepper chicken you ever tasted. Love this form of cooking as there is zero cleanup and no need for oils and such. Let me know what you think of this method and if you have had any great experiences. I find it particularly useful for preparing foods in advance and having the ability to freeze your proteins in whatever marinades/flavors you choose right in the vacuumed sealed bag you will eventually be cooking them in.

Replies

• cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi Bookers--- I had never heard of sous vide until about a month ago but lately I've been experimenting with it in my slow cooker and a glass thermometer. I've cooked steak and chicken and today a london broil in my jerry rigged sous vide set up.
    The London Broil was about 2 " thick and came already vacuum wrapped in plastic from my grass fed beef CSA so I just placed it in my slow cooker and monitored it every half hour to keep it between 130 and 140 F -- I had it in the water bath for 3 hours total.
    When I took it out it was succulent and pink all the way through.
    I shook some pink salt and ground pepper on both sides and seared it in a very hot cast iron pan for about 1 minute on each side and then sliced it up and had some for lunch with some horseradish sauce.
    I also did some chicken breasts in butter with herb de Provence sprinkled over them. I placed them in ziplock bags and submerged them in water almost to the top to expel the air then sealed up the ziplock tops. I cooked them in a 140 F water bath for about 1.5 hours and they came out cooked through but very succulent.
    My husband is really enjoying this way of cooking.
    I just ordered a temperature monitoring device from Fresh Meals

http://freshmealssolutions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=100075

that will turn the heat on and off according to the desired setting. It can be used with a simple immersion heater plugged in or if you have a non digital slow cooker or rice cooker it you can plug that into the monitor and it will turn the cooker on and off automatically to maintain you desired temperature range. I"m looking forward to receiving it so that I can cook without the constant monitoring and adjusting.

What do you use to cook with -- did you get a sous vide supreme or are you a DIYer like me?
    As for actual recipes -- I haven't really tried any yet so can't share but I know that I'm really going to enjoy this way of cooking and am looking forward to trying lots of new recipes.