st patrick corn beef cabbage ?? any recipes ?

Options
raylenebrooks
raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
Maybe crockpot hummm I am sure there is no low cal so mayne portion control.

Replies

• JamzPurse
    JamzPurse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am going the crock pot route. Put it in the pot, add carrots and potatoes, add seasoning, add water to just cover, cook on low 6 to 8 hours, add cabbage for the last hour, and there you go. I'm skipping the cabbage. I might make sandwiches. Not sure yet.
  • jillthemom
    jillthemom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com posted a really yummy looking soup. It is on their home page. I am thinking of making it.
  • mahutch1
    mahutch1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The corned beef is about as bad as you can get where meat is concerned. If you want something a little healthier, skip the corned beef. Chop up a head of cabbage, saute in a skillet with a little canola oil or butter and some onion. Make some whole wheat egg noodles. Mix together.
  • camdor
    camdor Posts: 3
    Options
    To reduce the amount of fat in your corn beef cook it a day ahead. Any method, crock pot, oven, simmered stove top. Refrigerate it over night. The fat will get solid and can be trimmed away before you slice the meat. The fat in the liquid will also be solid and can be skimmed off then cover the sliced meat with the liquid and warm it up in the crockpot or oven. Cook the veggies separately and they won't pick up the fat from the corn beef.
    This takes a little longer and you still need to watch the portion of meat but it does cut down on the fat..
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have an Irish friend who told me how she makes it...Buy the corned beef, quarter the cabbage, large onion, and quarter the red potatoes. Fill pot to top of the corned beef simmer for about 6 hours and ...yummmmmm! Serve with some Irish soda bread and it is the BOMB!:drinker:
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies The soup looks really yummy............I think I may do meat in crockpot trimmed the best I can and vegies seperate ....
  • paulieboy113
    paulieboy113 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have made the one on skinnytaste.com and it was awesome!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/03/corned-beef-and-cabbage.html#more

and for dessert try the chocolate stout cupcakes with baileys frosting. I made this and everyone thought they were great. I substituted the Baileys for Bailey's Irish cream coffee creamer for a non alcoholic version.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/03/chocolate-stout-cupcakes-with-baileys.html#more