Calorie Burn and Caloric intake Question

Options
taryn_perry
taryn_perry Posts: 193 Member
I'm currently training for a marathon (my first) and train heavily through the week to build up for my long runs on the weekends. My question is, in tracking my food intake on here, I'm "earn an ___ amount of calories" each day, depending on my workout, right? Well on the days I do my long runs (up to 17 miles so far), I'm awarded around 1800 extra calories that day.

Should one actually take in all the calories they've burned that day? I get that you need to replenish yourself after long workouts or extensive calorie burns, but find it hard to believe I should be consuming north of 3,000 calories some days.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• taryn_perry
    Options
    I'm currently training for a marathon (my first) and train heavily through the week to build up for my long runs on the weekends. My question is, in tracking my food intake on here, I'm "earn an ___ amount of calories" each day, depending on my workout, right? Well on the days I do my long runs (up to 17 miles so far), I'm awarded around 1800 extra calories that day.

Should one actually take in all the calories they've burned that day? I get that you need to replenish yourself after long workouts or extensive calorie burns, but find it hard to believe I should be consuming north of 3,000 calories some days.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I know there are threads debating/discussing this, but my personal (limited!) experience has been that I don't eat it all. My workouts average a burn of 800-1200 calories a day, but I try to never go over eating 1800 calories a day. So I am eating some (my bottom line is 1200 without exercise) but definitely not all. So far it is working well! 8 pounds in 4 weeks!
    Just my opinion/experience.

Becky
  • rowie
    rowie Posts: 75
    Options
    wow, what are you doing to burn that many calories in a day? Im impressed! You're an inspiration
  • taryn_perry
    Options
    I know there are threads debating/discussing this, but my personal (limited!) experience has been that I don't eat it all. My workouts average a burn of 800-1200 calories a day, but I try to never go over eating 1800 calories a day. So I am eating some (my bottom line is 1200 without exercise) but definitely not all. So far it is working well! 8 pounds in 4 weeks!
    Just my opinion/experience.

Becky

Thanks Becky! That was the philosphy I've been going of off, as it's been the way I've functioned on my P90X program and tend to guide my customers/coaches. Just needed a little outside validation! LOL.
  • shasha613
    shasha613 Posts: 9
    Options
    my friend ran a marathon and i think that you should eat until you are full when you have a long work out put just make sure to eat a lot of protein and iron because that will give you more strength when you run the marathon. Good Luckkk
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

I do eat them, as do many of our longest term members who have enjoyed tremendous success.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    didn't you see the extensive press Michael Phelps got when he commented that he was eating 10,000 calories a day? he could never have trained so hard if he wasn't fueling his body. ditto for you. your body wants fuel to keep you running. if you deny it fuel, it won't work as efficiently.