1,500 for maintenance? Really?

Options

Replies

• tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1540 plus my exercise cals for MNT...however if I eat my 1200 (goal to lose 0.7lbs) plus my exercise cals (bout 300 AVG/day) for a total of about 1500 (oooooohhhhahhhhhhhhh)...I end up maintaining for the most part!! IMAGINE that...exactly what she said!!!

don't get me wrong...everyone is different...but yes some people will have to eat that low to maintain...and I seem to be one of them!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MFP gives me 1540 plus my exercise cals for MNT...however if I eat my 1200 (goal to lose 0.7lbs) plus my exercise cals (bout 300 AVG/day) for a total of about 1500 (oooooohhhhahhhhhhhhh)...I end up maintaining for the most part!! IMAGINE that...exactly what she said!!!

don't get me wrong...everyone is different...but yes some people will have to eat that low to maintain...and I seem to be one of them!

Not really surprising, you've suppressed your metabolism, it is running slower.
    Therefore all estimates of your daily activity calories and exercise calories are inflated for as slow as your system is running.

You just can't reach the spread or gap someone with a full burning metabolism could have.
    Also makes it more difficult if exercise is enjoyed.

Just a choice. Yours is slower, and must be watched much more careful. Because if you eat extra, it's stored as fat.

Someone with full burning BMR, if they eat extra, body just burns it up.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    As scary as it is, on the Australian version they were talking about their daily cal intakes and it was 1200 and 1000 for men and women respectively. This is on top of several hours of physical training! To me this is just damned irresponsible and does not teach them sustainable habits to take with them in real life. [/quote]

Yup. And that's why Megan from 2009 is in Woman's Day this week having put it all back on. As have about half the contestants. I stopped watching this year after watching someone get abused for eating a ham, cheese and tomato toastie that was SO! MANY! CALORIES! It was 350.

I would t trust anyone who appears on that show for nutrition advice. Bob's latest book has a 'rule' that no carbs after lunch! Brilliant advice that!

Listen to them on exercise plans or even motivation. Listen to a dietician for advice on what to eat.
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Would totally depend on the individual... after looking back on what I used to eat before I came on here, I was maintaining on about 1600-1700. But then I'm a shortie.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Have you guys seen Michelle?

She looks like she's maybe 4'11" and weighs no more then 100lbs, and that's being generous! For her 1500cal/day or below could very well be maintenance.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Have you guys seen Michelle?

She looks like she's maybe 4'11" and weighs no more then 100lbs, and that's being generous! For her 1500cal/day or below could very well be maintenance.

I don't know if you looked at the video I posted, but she's not saying that's her number, she's giving general advice.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Given that contestants on The Biggest Loser eat nowhere near enough to fuel their intensive workouts, or to have a safe, realistic weight loss, 1500 probably is all their contestants can end up coping with. Me, I ate more than 1500 yesterday, often do most days and am still losing weight.

As scary as it is, on the Australian version they were talking about their daily cal intakes and it was 1200 and 1000 for men and women respectively. This is on top of several hours of physical training! To me this is just damned irresponsible and does not teach them sustainable habits to take with them in real life.

Just goes to show that the drama and entertainment (read ratings and money) far outweigh morality and responsibility. Sad but true.

It's insane, isn't it? No wonder so many of the alumni end up gaining most - sometimes all - of their weight back! Some of the American contestants have said they still have very disordered thoughts about eating too. I hate how contestants are guilt tripped for only losing '1lb-2lbs' a week too, even though that's a healthy amount to lose per week. I've known so many people in real life get disappointed for losing that amount, then when I tell them it's good say 'Oh but on the Biggest Loser, they lose so much more!'
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your weight and normal activities. I am 108lbs, and MPF gives me 1460 for maintenance with a sedentary lifestyle.
  • bluemorpho1247
    bluemorpho1247 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests 1500 to maintain and 1200 to lose for me :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    According to MFP I need 1,490 to maintain, so this doesn't sound too far off base. However, a woman who's bigger and/or more active would obviously need more.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me for my stats that 1830 ismaintenance. I actually maintain at about 1950. I am 5' 7" and 133 lbs. :)
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There are numerous factors to BMR, the two most obvious are gender and weight. You could be 6 foot tall and healthy yet need more calories than a 5 foot person of equal BMI. The major flaw of BMI is another slightly less obvious factor: muscle mass, a hungry and wasteful beastie that'll gobble up calories all day long. The body also adjusts metabolism if it thinks it's starving and from what I've seen of the biggest loser that could be another player in the game here.

Bottom line is that just because someone on TV said something doesn't make it true :laugh:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    If she is *maintaining* at 1500 she is either comatose or never getting out of bed. Something ain't right.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your size (height, bone structure, build) activity levels and current weight, very simple. For example my maintenance is around 1200 and loss is 1000 yet most of you on here would find far too low at 1500 I would gain as I am short 5'2 and have a very fine and narrow bone structure (comparable to a 12 yr old child).

This cannot be right. 5ft 2 is fairly small but it's not tiny and NOBODY maintains on 1200. Even if you were 90lb your maintenance would still be at least 1400/1500.
  • ashimon
    ashimon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 10 1/2" and my maintenance is ~1500 calories. I just love reading about people eating 2000 calories to lose weight. Not fair! :angry:

Ouch, I'm usually somewhere between 3000 and 4000 and my weight fluctuates a couple pounds here and there based on whether I'm closer to the high end or the low end. I have trouble eating all that food some days, I find natural peanut butter helps, but when you eat healthy foods that can be a problem.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Ha!! I guess I'm a freak show because I eat more than a man "should" and I'm only 4'11 and ~100 pounds. Lol. Im sticking to 2200+
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

1. Folks who have been obese for many, many, years. And I don't mean overweight, I mean obese. Usually morbidly obese. Often since childhood or young adulthood. These are the folks on the biggest loser. Both lab/clinical studies and population studies suggest that for these folks, once weight has been lost, they have to eat less or workout more than people who never got to that size, in order to maintain their weight loss. I am betting that a trainer for the biggest loser, whether they are basing it on science or simply on experience, are putting out a calorie number that works for this population, which would be lower than we'd think.

That's what I was thinking. But I still think my maintenance calories will end up being more like 1800 with exercise. 1500 would be a petite woman imo.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Michelle Bridges, one of the Australian Biggest Loser trainers suggests that for women 1,500 calories is a good number for maintenence, or 1,600 for women who want to put on weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V--HyBw07M&sns=em

(hope that works)

This freaks me out because I've just upped my calories to 1700, based on my BMR.
    i'm just under 5'4" .. i'm perfectly healthy MAINTAINING at netting 1840 calories. ..i think i'd still be hungry at 1500 . thank you.
    netting only 1200 calories so consistently is just insane !
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    sound about right. if you weigh under 100 pounds, have an incredibly slow metabolism, and have no muscle mass. my muscles need foooooooooood.

I ate well of 2000 calories a day last week and I only worked out 3 times AND I lost half a pound. Take that! booom.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    It really depends on your size (height, bone structure, build) activity levels and current weight, very simple. For example my maintenance is around 1200 and loss is 1000 yet most of you on here would find far too low at 1500 I would gain as I am short 5'2 and have a very fine and narrow bone structure (comparable to a 12 yr old child).

This cannot be right. 5ft 2 is fairly small but it's not tiny and NOBODY maintains on 1200. Even if you were 90lb your maintenance would still be at least 1400/1500.
    In all seriousness--at my lowest weight (with an eating disorder) I ate ~1000 calories and I'm 4'11--so I really cannot buy the 1200 for maintenance unless you've starved yourself to get to your current weight.