Week 2 gaining back

Options
So, I began my journey on 3/1/12 and have been trying to do a 1800 calorie/day diet with healthy food. I have also been working out at least 60mins/day including 30mins cardio. Total calorie burn is average of 500/day. My first week I dropped 5lbs without noticeable changes in appearance. Now I am back up 2lbs and it is hard to believe.

Before my journey I would eat whatever I wanted and had about 3000 calories/day without exercise and I wasn't gaining weight. This is my maintenance for 177lbs I guess. So now I am eating healthy and 1000-1200 calories less/day and working out. What is the deal? I don't know if my body hit starvation mode already or what. My goal is just lower body fat %. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kleighsamboer
    Options
    Honestly, it could e something you are or are not eating. I could take a look at your food journal if you open it up. It could be too much sodium which can make you retain water. If you aren't weighing yourself the same time every day that will make a difference too.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think my diary is open, isn't it?
  • skadoosh33
    Options
    Oh, now it is.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    May be retaining water weight too, I if work out really heavy on weights I can put on quite a bit in water weight cause your muscles swell repairing. If you were a chic I'd say time of the month haha. Also check your sodium, helps if you open your diary first before posting. Types of food you eat too can play a huge role and amounts of water, really hard to say
  • skadoosh33
    Options
    May be retaining water weight too, I if work out really heavy on weights I can put on quite a bit in water weight cause your muscles swell repairing. If you were a chic I'd say time of the month haha. Also check your sodium, helps if you open your diary first before posting. Types of food you eat too can play a huge role and amounts of water, really hard to say

I just opened it guys. Didn't know it was closed, sorry.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Your foods looks good, sodium was only a little crazy on one day, it take a bit for body to adjust and you will go up and down to start, I went up my 3rd week too, and I was eating way too low cals, I upped em and started loosing again like clock work. Are you going by mfps cals or different formula?
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    i looked at a few days and I can almost guarantee it is the sodium and too many processed foods. I will probably get knocked for saying that but it's true.
  • skadoosh33
    Options
    Your foods looks good, sodium was only a little crazy on one day, it take a bit for body to adjust and you will go up and down to start, I went up my 3rd week too, and I was eating way too low cals, I upped em and started loosing again like clock work. Are you going by mfps cals or different formula?

Different formula for my macros because I am just cutting body fat% so I changed it to up protein. Also that one day I got called into work and had to sneak into the EMS lounge for a bite to eat. It was a ham & cheese sandwich and I doubt that it had 2K+ sodium but I got that from MFP calorie for a guess. Most of my days are pretty close. I don't add salt to anything and my meals are boring.

Also MFP put in like 1550 calories but I thought that was low and made it 1800. I was losing so I figured it was correct. But I changed it today to 1600 because I gained. So IDK.
  • skadoosh33
    Options
    i looked at a few days and I can almost guarantee it is the sodium and too many processed foods. I will probably get knocked for saying that but it's true.

I won't knock you for saying that. However, I get less than 10% of my calories from processed food. I eat non-fat milk, spinach, sweet potato, brown rice, chicken, fish, fruits, etc. I do cheat sometimes when I am out of food and at work though. It gets difficult when you work in a busy ER for 12hrs. But I am trying. Thanks for checking it out though.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You're on week 2, no point in weighing yourself for at least a month or more. You weight can fluctuate by almost 5+ lbs daily, don't worry about it
  • skadoosh33
    Options
    Ok so I just went to the fat2fit website and there are two different BMR calculations. The Katch-McArdle uses body fat % in the equation so I am using that. It says my BMR is 1803. It then suggests that I eat 1578 cal/day to reach my goal (based on active person who works out 6-7 times/week). So basically I have been eating around 300-400 cal above my BMR. So I think I should be losing weight.
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Diaries look pretty good. Some high sodium days but thats going to happen and be fairly normal. The 2lbs is most likely water retention as said before. I didnt see Water logged on a few days. I try to stick to a gallon a day with the help of Crystal Light or MIO, whatever your preference, and sometimes more is I have high sodium days. Guaranteed to drop the water weight for sure. Ive been sticking to a loose version of the Spike Diet and its been working pretty good for me. Based off the BMR. Good luck
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Sometimes you gain a couple and then lose them plus more the next week. It's far too soon in the game for you to be worrying.
  • skadoosh33
    Options
    Diaries look pretty good. Some high sodium days but thats going to happen and be fairly normal. The 2lbs is most likely water retention as said before. I didnt see Water logged on a few days. I try to stick to a gallon a day with the help of Crystal Light or MIO, whatever your preference, and sometimes more is I have high sodium days. Guaranteed to drop the water weight for sure. Ive been sticking to a loose version of the Spike Diet and its been working pretty good for me. Based off the BMR. Good luck

I drink water only. Usually get about 64oz each day. I know I should drink more especially since I am at 6500ft elevation but it leaves me to void frequently and gets annoying.