Vegetable ideas

Options
I am calling out to all you wonderful veggie eaters :tongue: I am getting very bored and need to incorporate more vegetables into my meals. I already eat plenty of fruits, lean meats, and dairy. So i really need to step up the veggie intake. Currently I mainly eat spinach, broccoli, carrots, and celery.

What veggies do you eat and how do you eat them? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hopetobeinshape
    Options
    I am calling out to all you wonderful veggie eaters :tongue: I am getting very bored and need to incorporate more vegetables into my meals. I already eat plenty of fruits, lean meats, and dairy. So i really need to step up the veggie intake. Currently I mainly eat spinach, broccoli, carrots, and celery.

What veggies do you eat and how do you eat them? :flowerforyou:
  • blackbeltfairy
    Options
    My favourite veggies:

Green beans cooked with a tiny bit of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and black pepper.

Snow peas, raw and chopped up in a salad with mango, red peppers and almonds.

Portobello mushrooms, sliced up and cooked with a tablespoon of teriyaki sauce, or grilled.

Asparagus, brushed lightly with olive oil and grilled.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts,broccoli, green beans, cabbage, cauliflower, Carrots ,cucumbers, mushrooms, onions heck just about every veggie. I steam whatever can be steamed. I add onion and musrooms to alot of dishes. I eat cucumbers and carrots raw. Ohhh sweet potatoes. I bake them but tonight I made sweet potato fries. I cut them up and sprinkled them with olive oil and chili powder and baked them. Delish! Cindy :heart:
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS keep fresh lettuce on hand for a quick salad. Sounds dumb but it's so easy when it's right there! I've always liked veggies so its not a problem. I dig tomatoes and cucumbers. Just sliced w/ salt & pepper. Squash is always good too when in season (i'm not sure if thats a fruit or veggie). same with baby carrots. always keep them on hand so you have no excuse not to grab a handful!
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    Thank you for all the good ideas! I am going grocery shopping tomorrow so this helps alot :flowerforyou:
  • Lillybelle1889
    Lillybelle1889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always keep bell peppers on hand. They are great in pasta, sandwiches, salads, even pizza. Of course you can always eat them by themself or with some ranch dip.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas.

:flowerforyou: BRUSSEL SPROUTS: I steam the brussel sprouts. I cheat and use frozen & microwave them, but you could use fresh ones and cook them on the stovetop. Once they are steamed, I put a small amount of Smart Balance spread or you could use butter or whatever substitute for butter you wish. After that, top them with a little grated or shredded parmesan, or mozzarrella or Italian cheese. Yum!! These will make you LIKE brussel spouts even if you think you don't.

:flowerforyou: BROCCOLI. For people who think they don't like broccoli. In the produce department, you can usually find the broccoli slaw mix, which has shredded broccoli. For a single serving of "vegetable spaghetti"

I take 3 oz of slaw. Micro it on high for about 3 mins(1100 watt)
    Add 1/4 cup diced or stewed tomatoes (Use low sodium if you can.)
    and 1/4 cup of spaghetti sauce, any Marinara style sauce, but again, watch the sodium.);put it back in the micro on high for 1 - 1.5 minutes.

Remove and add 1/8 cup of shredded/grated parmesan or mozzarrella or Italian cheese. Put it back in the oven for 10-15 seconds if the cheese isn't melting for you.

If you add some chicken strips (assuming your sauce didn't have meat in it), you can make a meal of this, and it is fairly filling.

:flowerforyou: ENGLISH CUCUMBERS: Much better than a regular cucumber. They are great with tomatoes, some sweet onion and a low fat Italian dressing. Chop everything into chunks and season with pepper, and for an interesting variation, add a little fresh mint leaf to your salad. If you want to put celery, green pepper or anything else you might like in a salad, that is your call.

Happy (Healthy) eating!!!:happy:
  • clmhgriz
    clmhgriz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A couple of veggies that I don't think have been mentioned are Lima Beans (I like Allen's brand best) and black-eyed peas. I never realized how good they are for you!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    My fave is asparagus...a little EVOO, sea salt, and garlic powder. Put them in the oven on 350 for about 20 minutes or until slightly crispy/brown. I can eat these like I used to eat French fries!

I second the peppers. I add them to a lot of my dishes.
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    I am starting a vegetarian group in the support board, im sure once it kicks off you can get alot of ideas there!
    I always google for new veggie recipes, there are many out there, the possibilities are endless! =)
    Like tonight my family had...
    Black and garbonzo bean burgers topped w/ avacado, cilantro and a pineapple salsa (pineapple, tomato, red onion, corn and hot pepper!) I eat mine in a lettus and cabbage wrap, but my hubby and kids had theirs on a wheat bun!
    Another FAV of mine, is grilling up a MorningStar veggie burger, slicing sweet peppers, mushrooms, spinach and a low-cal dressing and wrapping it all up in a lettus and cabbage wrap!
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I eat semi-vegan. Do eat some eggs/egg whites, lots of veggie burgers. ever try burger kings veggie burger??

Like to cook veges in oven, little olive oil and salt works for about any veggie!! easy too!!