C25k NSV :) :)

Options
I jogged for 3 minutes straight (twice!) today! I am on Week 3 of C25k and I THOUGHT the program was walk 1:30 and jog 1:30 but I didn't know that it was only part of it with two intervals of jogging for 3 minutes. 1:30 into the first 3 minute jog I was thinking - "Why is it taking so long to go to brisk walk?" Well - I still had 1:30 left.

I realized that a lot of it IS mental because the second 3minute interval was a little harder because of the simple fact that I was anticipating it. I'm pumped right now :):)

Replies

• Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm struggling through the first 2 weeks of c25K. Congrats on the 3 minute run.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thinking about the next week can make you stress out, so take it minute by minute. So many people have used this program to start running and love running now. Keep at it. Mind over matter! Congrats!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I was totally the same when i did the first week 3 run on monday - although I knew it was coming in advance and thought there was NO way that I'd do it! When I did I just couldn't stop myself from smiling, in fact I jogged an extra 3 minutes to get back home after the session was over!

Keep it up, and lets hope each new workout comes to us as easy!
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Great job! Thinking about the next week can make you stress out, so take it minute by minute. So many people have used this program to start running and love running now. Keep at it. Mind over matter! Congrats!

Totally agree with the stress out if you think ahead. I am on Week 4 Day 2 today. Week 4 Day 1 was way easier for me than Week 3 Day 3 simply because I didn't look ahead to see what I had to accomplish. Silly mental blocks!

Oh - and you can TOTALLY do this, by the way! :)
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Isnt' that crazy what anticipation can do?! Well for those who are struggling - this is what I tell myself - 1) I can always lower my speed. I am not actually preparing for a 5k (though I am open to start running them one day), I am just doing this because I want to run and I want to be healthy so speed isn't that important.

2) I can always redo a week if I feel like I am not ready to move on.

My goal is to complete this program, not to complete it in a record time :):) Love hearing from my C25k people -- It's great to share such an awesome journey!
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm struggling through the first 2 weeks of c25K. Congrats on the 3 minute run.

As I said in my post above - don't give up --- redo a week if you need to or lower your speed. I whole-heartedly believe that if I can do this, anyone can :)
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was ecstatic the first time I managed a full 5 min during week 4... I can't imagine how it will feel to complete the 20 min run at the end of week 5.

Then I got sick and had to take a week off and am having to repeat week 3 to get back up to being able to do week 4. :(
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    When I started C25K I couldn't hardly do the 1st week.....Now I have finished I was running 30-45 min at a time and feeling great about it. I recently stopped running a bit(shame on me) but am starting back. I ran some yesterday on my own and felt like I was still able to run at a long pace. Keep it up, it does get better and you will feel great when you complete.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean lol! I'm starting week 4 today and the 5 minute run makes me want to cry lol! What I did for the 3 minute runs was just thought of them as 2 1:30 runs....and I knew I could do 1:30 runs....that made it easier, because like you said, a LOT of it IS mental!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Ditto for me exactly! C25K made a runner out of me. It is totally mind over matter. Great job!!!
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This post is SOOOOO true.... Same thing happened me last night. I was on W5D1 and there was heavy traffic so I missed the bit where the girl told me to walk :D It was only when she butted in to say 'If you're on day 1 it's time for your 2nd 5 min jog, those on day 2, well done, you have just completed your 1st 8 min jog" that I realised. And it was funny, I wasn't actually dying at that point. I did the 5 min walk and the 2nd 8 min jog with plenty left in the tank and now I'm not nearly as scared by the 20min jog on day 3 :)

The day I struggled to complete W1D1 seems like a lifetime ago :)
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you:flowerforyou: That first 3 min run is quite exciting isn't it! I just finished Week 3 myself and I loved it! So much that I ended up doing each 20 min twice and then added another 3 min run at the end! I am totally scared of Week 4 and I haven't even looked at Week 4 yet:laugh: I know I can do it, even if I have to slow my speed down or repeat the week! Good luck to you:flowerforyou: You're doing great!
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I love c25k, I got up to week 7 then the weather turned too cold to continue running outside. I am starting today from week 1 all over again now that the weather is warming up a bit. good luck on your completion of the program, you can do it!! **waving pom poms**
  • Sh3iz
    Sh3iz Posts: 12
    Options
    I've tried c25k in the past. I never made it past week 3... I could complete week 3... but I was never ready for week 4, I tried day 1 and it was a nightmare. I couldnt run 5 minutes straight, no way no how.

I'm trying to run again, however right now i hadnt gone back to c25k. Im upto using the crossramp(elliptical with and incline) for up to an hour with no stop. I personally feel like thats whats key for me. keep moving. I've recently hopped back onto the treadmill and the first day i ran, i did about 6 minutes broken up, day two i did five minute 30 seconds nonstop, day three i did 7 minutes nonstop , and yesterday i ran 10 minutes without stoppppping! I'm definitely pushing myself. but even if you just start with bumping up in small increments!
  • stacielynn99
    stacielynn99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I started the couch to 5k program right after Thanksgiving. I had previously run a 5k two years ago but I didn't train for it very well. This program has made a world of difference! I was up to week 9 of my 10k training and then I tore my MCL so I had to take a month off. I started back up again last week and was able to run for 50 minutes and went 5.26 miles and I felt great! I'm running my first 10k in May and I was a little nervous when I signed up but now I say "Bring it on!"
  • purplerain011
    Options
    Well done to you! Today was W4D1 I was so scared of that 5 min run I put it off for 2 days but I went by like nothing! We can do this :D
  • garp4
    garp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Good job, it is sooooo mental! I am on week four and at the end of the second 5 minutes I was thinking to myself I could have gone longer!
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I'm going to be starting C25K next week and I'm a bit nervous...although I've been doing some jogging on the treadmill already, but only for a few minutes at a time as it's a warm up before my strength training. I'm excited and scared at the same time! LOL Keep up the good work and good luck with it!!
  • purplerain011
    Options
    That is awesome! I'm going to be starting C25K next week and I'm a bit nervous...although I've been doing some jogging on the treadmill already, but only for a few minutes at a time as it's a warm up before my strength training. I'm excited and scared at the same time! LOL Keep up the good work and good luck with it!!

Dont be! I have never run a day in my life and I'm doing it. its such a great feeling at the end! :)
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Great job! I just finished Week 5, running 2 miles straight! I never thought I would be able to do this and it feels GREAT! :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!