Encouraging teens

Options
2»

Replies

• toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    as an 18 yr old i know how much it can hurt to be told by your own mother that u need to watch your weight...

BUT at the same time, the initial "sting" really opened my eyes. i think if you are gentle and kind and dont make a big deal about it, just mention something to her. just say youve put on a little weight lately, and its not a problem but if ur not careful it could become one. something like that. it might not be enough for her in which case her doctor should say something. but dont be afraid of hurting her because in the long run she will thank you.

As long as u dont say something terrible like wow youve gotten fat.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was in high school my mom would try to do the same thing with me sister and I and to be honest I just wasn't really interested because I wasn't really mature enough to grasp the Idea of health etc. IN high school (in my school) it ment not eating and being very very tiny and to me that sucked haha.
    To be honest alot of kids lack in education when it comes to health and nutrition.

But after I graduated I became aware of myself and what i was doing and got into health and fitness on my own and now I'm a bigger nut about it than my mom :)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Tell her to never ever, under no circumstance, exercise....teens tend to do what their parents don't want them to.

Thanks to all of you. I believe that I have actually tried all that has been advised with the exception of Sparkteen and the one above (which is probably the best :laugh: ). We have a YMCA membership and I am paying for her to have the women's spa included. It has the whirlpool, sauna and steamroom plus any classes are free for her. She isn't interested in any of this. She has her own dog but she just lets him outside on his own. Really she doesn't see a problem with her weight. She will weigh herself, tell me the number and act like all is fine. In a way this is good. She is not obsessing over it. Her appearance will most certainly be her own decision. Her health is more important and I feel that as her mother I should be concerned about it. I especially appreciate the comments made by the 18 year olds here. You are very mature, lovely girls. Thank you.