Potatoes vs Sweet Potatoes

Options
laurabini
laurabini Posts: 257 Member
I've discovered sweet potatoes today! They taste great boiled!
And I was wondering..are they better or worse than normal potatoes?

Replies

• JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are better nutritionally, lower sugar and better tasting IMO!! I LoVe sweet potatoes!!!!

Try roasting them in the oven cut into cubes..sprinkle them with Splenda brown sugar!!! Heaven!!!!!!
  • laurabini
    Options
    This is great! thank you! I'll definitely try your suggestion :)
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've had both and enjoy both differently.

If you had both potatoes at 100g each.

Potato
    Calories = 93kcal
    Fat = 0g
    Cholesterol = 0mg
    Sodium = 10mg
    Carbohydrates = 21g
    Fiber = 2g
    Sugar = 1g
    Protein = 3g

Sweet Potato
    Calories = 90kcal
    Fat = 0g
    Cholesterol = 0mg
    Sodium = 36mg
    Carbohydrates = 21g
    Fiber = 3g
    Sugar = 6g
    Protein = 2g

I used to eat a lot of sweet potatoes, but they are higher in sugar compared to regular potatoes. I feel that a 100g potato doesn't fill me up, so my potatoes are usually 150g to 200g. So at 200g the sugar from a sweet potato becomes 12g which is quite a lot from one piece of food. I know certain fruits have more sugar than others, so I typically try to go for lower sugar ones depending on what I am eating throughout the rest of the day. So if I am having hardly any sugar throughout the day I will go with a banana, otherwise it's berries.

I guess you could do the same with potatoes.
  • jplante12
    Options
    I believe Sweet Potatoes are better nutritionally for you. I LOVE them too!!!:
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    whatever you can do with a potato, you can do with a sweet potato =D
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I much prefer sweet potatoes! I cut them up and sprinkle with Tony's cajun seasoning for sweet potato fries- bake in oven. :)
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, but have recently switched white for sweet. I read that sweet potatoes are better for managing blood sugar levels. After reading Zichu's post, I guess I don't understand how that would be true. There is more sugar in sweet potatoes? How do they help blood sugar/insulin response then? Remember the Sugar Buster's diet? They promoted sweet potatoes. So confused now!
  • laurabini
    Options
    Sugar is actually an issue for me, as I eat a lot of fruit.. but I guess this is healthy sugar (I know there are a lot of topics about that), but I find boiled sweet potatoes better than boiled potatoes (talking about taste) so I prefer a boiled sweet potato instead of a potato cooked with salt and olive oil ;)
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Why bother boiling them? You can microwave a whole sweet potato in a few minutes.
  • laurabini
    Options
    I don't know..my mum just boiled them :D I think microwave is a quicker option, thanks!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Better more fiber fills you up. And oh so good.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about sweet potatoes and the blood sugar benefits. It says that Sweet Potatoes increase blood levels of Adiponectin which is a protein hormone produced by fat cells. It helps regulate our insulin metabolism.

I'm not trying to say they are bad for you by the way, just to note. :D
    I'm just saying they are higher in sugar compared to regular potatoes, so if you worried about going over your sugar levels then you could always go for a regular potato. They both taste great if cut into fries, sprayed with oil and baked.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I've always read the sweet potatoes are better for you. Not sure how true it is. I love cutting them up and sprinkling them with chili powder and baking them.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about sweet potatoes and the blood sugar benefits. It says that Sweet Potatoes increase blood levels of Adiponectin which is a protein hormone produced by fat cells. It helps regulate our insulin metabolism.

I'm not trying to say they are bad for you by the way, just to note. :D
    I'm just saying they are higher in sugar compared to regular potatoes, so if you worried about going over your sugar levels then you could always go for a regular potato. They both taste great if cut into fries, sprayed with oil and baked.

Thank you, this helps clarify. I wasn't thinking they were bad, just trying to figure out how the sugar worked. :smile:
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Dont microwave them.. anything you cook in the microwave you are killing all the nutrients it had.. stick to roasting them...