Recipe Ideas Needed! Alternative to Cereal (Veggie)

Options
Squidgeypaws007
Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
Hey guys, as the title suggests - I need an alternative to breakfast cereal for breakfast. I am vegetarian (ovo-lacto) and I don't eat fish. I also don't eat bread. (I'm not fussy, honestly...). Oh, I'm also broke....like, completely.

I am totally sick of cereal, but can only think of boiled egg (not filling enough) or banana smoothie (high in sugar). Recipe ideas badly needed!!

I will send out many good thoughts for people who can get me out of the cereal trap!! xD

Replies

• chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    my favorite thing lately is this one minute muffin thing someone posted on here a couple weeks ago... let me find it and I'll repost...
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    1 can of pumpkin and 1 box of spice cake mix. Mix together and make 24 muffins they are about 97 calories each.

Toss together a fruit salad and keep in single serve portions.

Frozen waffels with fruit topping I defrost blueberries and put them over the top. YUMMY

not sure if you said you eat eggs. sautee up some spinach and scramble an egg in over the top with some pepper and a little garlic I sometimes toss in a red onion

toast with peanut butter
    Hope this helps!
  • MalibuBeth
    MalibuBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can lower the sugar count in your smoothie buy using different fruits (berries) or adding veggies (like spinach). Do you consider oatmeal cereal?
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup quick oats
    1 egg (sub. 1/4 egg beaters for less calories)
    small handful of blueberries
    little bit of brown sugar/stevia (optional)
    tbsp soymilk or regular milk(for added moistness!)

Mix it all up into a coffee mug!
    Put it in the microwave for 1 minute, make sure it doesn’t overflow! Add an extra 30 sec if it needs to firm up

This is super fast and it is SO good! I have made it with every kind of berry i can get my hands on. I can't remember who the OP was and if you see it THANK YOU!! Wonderful!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    1/4 cup quick oats

Put it in the microwave for 1 minute, make sure it doesn’t overflow! Add an extra 30 sec if it needs to firm up

This is super fast and it is SO good! I have made it with every kind of berry i can get my hands on. I can't remember who the OP was and if you see it THANK YOU!! Wonderful!

Thank you so much for finding that for me xD sounds pretty nice :-D I will have to try that, I love eating berries! Will definitely thank the OP if i ever see them :)

@ Beth - I'm currently trying Oatmeal cereal (Granola stuff it that's classified as oatmeal?) and I just have such trouble eating much of it! I must be eating about 20g of cereal, possibly less, a day atm - so I'm getting ravenous by lunch at 1pm -.- Spinach in smoothies? that sounds inetresting....What other kind of veggies would you suggest also? I hear people talking about sweet potato and cinammon....never been brave enough to try it though, lol.

@Heather - that sounds amazing, I do eat eggs and I love them! That blueberry and waffle thing sounds amazing, I've never eaten Waffles before so might well be worth trying them! And spice cake mix? But, yum, muffins xD
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, as the title suggests - I need an alternative to breakfast cereal for breakfast. I am vegetarian (ovo-lacto) and I don't eat fish. I also don't eat bread. (I'm not fussy, honestly...). Oh, I'm also broke....like, completely.

I am totally sick of cereal, but can only think of boiled egg (not filling enough) or banana smoothie (high in sugar). Recipe ideas badly needed!!

I will send out many good thoughts for people who can get me out of the cereal trap!! xD

I can understand being vegetarian, but you can't have it all with no money, no ovo-lacto. Try instant oatmeal packets, I use the maple-brown sugar ones and do not add milk when I eat them. Aren't eggs ovo? Also, try Quaker Life cereal. Cinnamon flavor is pretty good tasting. I do not buy the stuff with artificial sugar in them, the only truly safe alternative sugar are those derived from stevia, all the others are not good for you.
  • dalpian92936
    Options
    Oatmeal - i switched from cold cereal - that was "dessert" for me. And besides, they say oat could help reduce cholesterol if that's an issue for you. I eat mine plain and no salt - I'd rather have my salt in other foods throughout the day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've never understood the "breakfast foods" notion. Just eat something you like that you would eat at any other hour of the day. Eat leftovers from dinner. That's quick and easy.
  • meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup quick oats

it was me :)

• meemo88
    meemo88 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup quick oats

IT WAS MEEE :) IM THE OP LOL
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    I can understand being vegetarian, but you can't have it all with no money, no ovo-lacto. Try instant oatmeal packets, I use the maple-brown sugar ones and do not add milk when I eat them. Aren't eggs ovo? Also, try Quaker Life cereal. Cinnamon flavor is pretty good tasting. I do not buy the stuff with artificial sugar in them, the only truly safe alternative sugar are those derived from stevia, all the others are not good for you.

I am ovo-lacto :) I'm not vegan. I don't eat artificial sweetener at all if I can help it. I'm also not trying to have it all, just seeing if people had alternative ideas for breakfast to make it more interesting. I'm glad you can understand being vegetarian, I can rest easy now ;)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    1/4 cup quick oats

IT WAS MEEE :) IM THE OP LOL

Lol! Well thank you :-D

@bcat - there's a novel notion ;)

@dal - as mentioned above, I did try switching to oatmeal type cereals but just can not eat much of them!
  • AmandaBroun
    AmandaBroun Posts: 126
    Options
    "No-oat meal"
    I take an egg, about a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter, half a banana, and a splash of cream/milk/coconut milk (whatever you want for a little added moisture). Beat it all up in a mug or bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the egg is cooked and it has the consistency of lumpy oatmeal.

You can substitute some mashed pumpkin or sweet potato for the banana, and add whatever spices, nuts, raisins, etc., you want.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    MMMMM Boca (Soy Protein) Breakfast Links.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    @ Amanda - thank you! That sounds interesting xD
  • AmandaBroun
    AmandaBroun Posts: 126
    Options
    My husband thinks it's weird, but I love it!
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    If you eat eggs, do a spinach omlet. Fresh spinach is cheap and it is really good. Sautee it in a little butter or eevo with salt and pepper, just till it starts to wilt. then add it to an omlett. you can add a little cheese too. Its really good!!!!!!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I make a "Waldorf Salad Smoothie" some days, it's really quite filling

1 med apple
    1c thinly sliced celery (thin is key b/c of strings)
    2 T ground flax seeds (I use these in place of walnuts)
    1/4 to 1/2c Fage total 0 greek yogurt
    1/4 to 1/2 c 1% milk
    3 ice cubes or more
    some water to desired consistancy

I know it sounds weird, but I actually like it a lot!

If you use 1/4 c ea of milk and yogurt, it has 242 cal 7g fat 12g protein 11g fiber 24g sugar 34g carbs
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    @ Amanda - lol, it does sound strange but I bet it tastes nice xD

@ Sandi - That is a great idea! I love eggs and love ommelettes. And spinach is good in all kinds of ways, thanks!!

@ Maf - I can imagine celery and apple actually go well together xD I'm actually allergic to nuts so I wouldn't miss the walnuts anyway!

These recipes are all amazing guys, thank you to everyone who has posted a recipe here, your time in posting is greatly appreciated :)
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1 can of pumpkin and 1 box of spice cake mix. Mix together and make 24 muffins they are about 97 calories each.

Toss together a fruit salad and keep in single serve portions.

Frozen waffels with fruit topping I defrost blueberries and put them over the top. YUMMY

not sure if you said you eat eggs. sautee up some spinach and scramble an egg in over the top with some pepper and a little garlic I sometimes toss in a red onion

toast with peanut butter
    Hope this helps!

We do the can of pumpkin with chocolate cake mix for chocolate breakfast muffins