Knee Pain

Options
So last fall I did the C25K and ran my first 5k on October 29th. I felt great... and then winter happened. I've been out of my routine because of lack of money to get a gym membership and the time to get there half the time. BUT NOW its getting nice out and I want to start this back up again.... but my knees HURT so bad lately in just walking long distances. So I don't know if Running will be good or not. Is there anything I can get to put around my knees to help the pain until they get back to where they were when I was running 5k's?

Replies

• mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Have you had any IT band trouble before, it might be this muscle that runs down the outside of your thigh. I suffered with this but now use a foam roller to cure it after asvice from my PT - it worked too. Have a google on IT band problems theres loads out there on it n i bet youre back up and running (no pun intended) in no time :)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to go and see a doctor
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

This.

There are so many things that could be wrong with your knees, and they are too important for an internet diagnosis.
  • HGChao
    HGChao Posts: 23
    Options
    What is a foam roller?
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So last fall I did the C25K and ran my first 5k on October 29th. I felt great... and then winter happened. I've been out of my routine because of lack of money to get a gym membership and the time to get there half the time. BUT NOW its getting nice out and I want to start this back up again.... but my knees HURT so bad lately in just walking long distances. So I don't know if Running will be good or not. Is there anything I can get to put around my knees to help the pain until they get back to where they were when I was running 5k's?

The biggest problem here is your weight. Your knees cannot not take that kind of pounding. Do low impact aerobics, also try kettlebell, Amy has a good DVD out for Absolute Beginners. Do her DVD regularly and you'll drop the weight. Be sure your consuming enough oil to lubricate the knees, maybe glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate and MSM supplements would be good to take. Also, if you can afford it, see a doctor concerning your knees. I would be concerned about your knee pain at such an early age. Also, your local drugstore will have knee support stuff like ace bandages, etc.
  • herillusion
    herillusion Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I guess I should add that I have been to a doctor and he said there was nothing wrong with my knees and gave me authorization to walk/run (which is what I did for the majority of my 5k training and actual 5k).
  • wellbert
    Options

I guess I should add that I have been to a doctor and he said there was nothing wrong with my knees and gave me authorization to walk/run (which is what I did for the majority of my 5k training and actual 5k).

Well, if you have an A-OK from your doctor... then I would start with some strength training.
    Squats (Done properly, they are actually easy to screw up) will build up the power in your knees, strengthening the bone, ligament, and muscles.

I have bad knee problems, but strengthening them has added a ton of stability, and nearly eliminated all of the pain.

(Keep in mind, squats done wrong, or done on a machine, can /cause/ knee problems. I did them wrong for a long time and the results were NOT good.)

You may also find that a low or neutral heel drop shoe is a lot easier on your knees (But murders your ankles until you are conditioned.)
  • herillusion
    Options

The biggest problem here is your weight. Your knees cannot not take that kind of pounding. Do low impact aerobics, also try kettlebell, Amy has a good DVD out for Absolute Beginners. Do her DVD regularly and you'll drop the weight. Be sure your consuming enough oil to lubricate the knees, maybe glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate and MSM supplements would be good to take. Also, if you can afford it, see a doctor concerning your knees. I would be concerned about your knee pain at such an early age. Also, your local drugstore will have knee support stuff like ace bandages, etc.

I've had this pain for about 7 years. I've had this pain when I was 140 lbs and now at 200. So although I know I need to drop the weight (which is why I'm here) -- I know the pain didn't start at 200 lbs. Its always been a problem.

Who is Amy?

I've talked to my doctor on multiple occasions. He just said that I need to do some low impact when it hurts but that I can do running. He said that my muscles were weak on the inside & outside causing my knee cap to not stay where it needed causing the discomfort.

I dont know what to use as far as stuff to buy to put on/around/etc the knee that works to keep my kneecap in place. :)
  • herillusion
    Options
    I ran my 5k when I was starting at about 195lbs and in 9 weeks I was down to low 180's. It is only thru this winter I've gained to about 200 and want to get back into the routine but don't want to mess up by not having something on my knee when I decide I want to run again. I plan on walking for a 1/2 hour daily for at least a month plus other low impact exercises to get my knee muscles working again and to lose some weight hopefully....then by May I want to be running again.
  • wellbert
    Options
    PS - I just read your quote about putting things around your knee.

Don't use a full knee brace. Get a knee strap made for runners.
  • herillusion
    Options

Well, if you have an A-OK from your doctor... then I would start with some strength training.
    Squats (Done properly, they are actually easy to screw up) will build up the power in your knees, strengthening the bone, ligament, and muscles.

I have bad knee problems, but strengthening them has added a ton of stability, and nearly eliminated all of the pain.

(Keep in mind, squats done wrong, or done on a machine, can /cause/ knee problems. I did them wrong for a long time and the results were NOT good.)

You may also find that a low or neutral heel drop shoe is a lot easier on your knees (But murders your ankles until you are conditioned.)

I don't know if I've done them wrong or not. Is there some place I can see how to do them right?
  • herillusion
    Options
    PS - I just read your quote about putting things around your knee.

Don't use a full knee brace. Get a knee strap made for runners.

Thanks. This is what I was curious about. Is that what it would be called? "A Knee Strap for Runners"????
  • wellbert
    Options
    For unloaded squats, basically the error a lot of people make is to point their toes forward, or let their heels come up.

Basically, for an air squat:

Stand feet should width apart, toes pointed about 45' out.
    You can lean your body over just slightly to keep your center of balance over mid-foot.

As you descend, push your knees out over your toes. Thighs parallel to feet. DO NOT let your knees come together in the middle.

About 30% of the way down, stop moving your knees. Bend at the knees and hips to lower your body so your hips are just below parallel with your knees. Come back up in the reverse.

Thanks. This is what I was curious about. Is that what it would be called? "A Knee Strap for Runners"????

Yep, your local drug store should have them. Just looks like a little 3/4" band that goes around just below your knee. It helps stabilize the tendon.
  • jry823
    jry823 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So I am a runner. I finished my first marathon a week ago. I've had knee issues in the past and like you, have been cleared by an Ortho doc. My kneecaps, for the same reason as yours- they move around, have a fair amount of scar tissue and can get aggravated when I'm not rolling and stretching enough. I should also add that I cross train as a triathlete- so weights (which you don't need the gym for), bike, swim and run. Rolling is what has made the difference for me b/c my knees complain the most when my hips and quads are tight- which I can solve with the roller and stretching regularly.

A foam roller is a cylindrical peice of hard pack foam that you roll your body on top of to loosen muscles, knots, etc. You can find them at lots of places- try Target. Then google videos on how to use. While you can choose to run in a simple Ace knee brace, at the end of the day the best way to strengthen your knee is to do it without support if there's no medical need. Any support brace reduces your reliance ont he muscles surrounding your knoee- which exactly what you need to strengthen. At least that's what I've been told by my doc.

And my final "I play a doctor on TV" suggestion. In all the races I've ever done, I've seen tons of people that aren't thin. Don't let your weight stop you. I train with a number of women that are both heavier and MUCH older than you. Just be patient with yourself. Try run-walking to get your body back into it. Look into the Galloway running method. Ice your knees after every run for a few weeks. Whatever it takes. Good Luck!
  • HGChao
    HGChao Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks....i will try the roller for my knee pain.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question your question was answered :) foam rollers basically gave me new knees :)
  • reammi
    reammi Posts: 70
    Options
    The foam roller, making sure I stretch well after every run and a good pair of running sneakers that I was fitted for erased my knee pain. Good Luck!!!
  • herillusion
    Options
    The foam roller, making sure I stretch well after every run and a good pair of running sneakers that I was fitted for erased my knee pain. Good Luck!!!

My next step is to get a new pair of good running shoes that fit properly.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Your next step for good running shoes should have been your first step. I get somewhat entertained by people who run before they really know anything about it. Any fitness routine should what is best for your bady. If you have been to the dr and he says nothing wrong get a second opinion or go to a running store and start with good shoes. Running less or more doesn't matter as much as good equipment and good form.
  • herillusion
    Options
    Your next step for good running shoes should have been your first step. I get somewhat entertained by people who run before they really know anything about it. Any fitness routine should what is best for your bady. If you have been to the dr and he says nothing wrong get a second opinion or go to a running store and start with good shoes. Running less or more doesn't matter as much as good equipment and good form.

WOW! Not that you or your opinion matter, but just because I said "Next Step is to get new shoes" doesn't mean I didn't research running and the equipment and I even took a "Good Form Running Clinic"! I HAD A PAIR OF GOOD RUNNING SHOES WHEN I WAS RUNNING ALMOST 9 MONTHS AGO! Shoes wear out and I said "next step is to get a pair of shoes" because those are obviously in need of replacing! So instead of being "ENTERTAINED" by what I said maybe you should encourage others or say nothing at all!