Help! ... I'm not losing anything!

Options
I have been reading through other threads asking the same question but there is so many possible causes I'm lost as to what to try! So I thought maybe I may be able to get some specific advice...

I've been counting calories and working out for a couple of weeks now but my weight isn't really changing at all. I fluctuate between losing and gaining the same 500gms every couple of days. I did MFP for 5mths last year and consistently lost 500gm to a kilo a week. The only thing I'm doing differently this time is that I'm working out harder (I'm doing the 30DS and presently on my 11th day).

Other points to note maybe;
- All my exersize calories are Recorded on a Polar FT7 HRM
- I previously always ate back my exersize calories and lost weight. I have continued to do this but now not losing weight!
- my BMI is 26 which puts me in the overweight category
- I'm presently 68.5kg and my goal is 60kg
- I'm taking a low carb protein powder each day
- EVERYTHING I consume is on my diary (public) and I weigh and measure everything!
- my appetite has become insatiable in the last few days, and
- although the workouts have been getting slightly easier each day, I'm insanely tired and I feel like I'm not recovering properly - I feel weaker and more lethargic, not stronger like your apparently supposed to feel.

Hoping someone can give me some advice... Or am I just being impatient expecting results this quickly again?

Replies

• LesleeAH
    LesleeAH Posts: 64
    Options
    One more thing - do you have it set at losing 1 pound per week?
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yep... Set at 1lb a week - which I think is roughly half a kilo?
  • StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What's your activity level at? Tiredness/lethargy could come from not eating enough.
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    All I would suggest is maybe switching it to 0.5lb a week, you're right on the cusp according to these guidelines:

o Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    o With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    o With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    o With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
  • schmuck94
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    Do you have a rest day in your exercise regime? I just had a quick look through and you seem to do 30DS every day. Your body needs at least one day a week in order to recover.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'll second the rest day and the water. If this doesn't help, I'd check with a dietitian or a doctor if you have access.
  • Peta22
    Options
    Ok

Starry eyed... My activity level was set at light activity in the MFP set up I think. However, I've been working out twice a day the last few days doing 30DS and a lighter session on the exersize bike or dancing class. I haven't had a rest day as I thought 30DS was meant to be 30 days straight...

Schmuck94... I've been trying to drink as much water as possible - probably about 2-3 ltrs a day... Not hard as its been INSANELY hot where I am over the last week (high 30,s low 40's - Celsius)

LesleeAH... I'm confused... Does that suggest I'm trying to lose weight too fast?
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    Ok

Starry eyed... My activity level was set at light activity in the MFP set up I think. However, I've been working out twice a day the last few days doing 30DS and a lighter session on the exersize bike or dancing class. I haven't had a rest day as I thought 30DS was meant to be 30 days straight...

Schmuck94... I've been trying to drink as much water as possible - probably about 2-3 ltrs a day... Not hard as its been INSANELY hot where I am over the last week (high 30,s low 40's - Celsius)

LesleeAH... I'm confused... Does that suggest I'm trying to lose weight too fast?

I'm in Perth too and I know what you mean about the heat! Easily guzzling that water!
    The idea is, when you have a lot more to lose, you can stand a higher deficit. Since you have only 8kg to lose, you should only have a smaller deficit, about 300 cals a day, or MFP's settings for 0.5lb/week. You should be eating above your BMR, which is probably around 1400 - 1500 for you.
  • StarryEyed500
    Options
    Did you take your measurements before you started 30DS? Could be you just lost a load of inches(cms lol) rather than Kgs.

Just read up on 30DS and it does say to do every day. Most exercise regimes require a 'day off' to allow the muscles to rebuild.
  • Peta22
    Options
    StarryEyed500,I did take measurements before I started and I do keep meaning to check them now as I think I may have lost inches, however, I still want to lose fat! I can see it on me and I want it gone!! :p As soon as I find the time to find the tape measure, I'll check my measurements!

LesleeAH, thanks for that... I was wondering whether I wasn't eating enough but it feels so counterproductive to be eating more! I'll amend my settings and give it ago. BTW, great to meet another Perth person :)
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, You ARE losing fat. It may not be reflected on the scale numbers, but believe me, you are getting smaller.
    If you are doing the shred everyday, then you are toning and building muscle.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    StarryEyed500,I did take measurements before I started and I do keep meaning to check them now as I think I may have lost inches, however, I still want to lose fat! I can see it on me and I want it gone!! :p As soon as I find the time to find the tape measure, I'll check my measurements!

LesleeAH, thanks for that... I was wondering whether I wasn't eating enough but it feels so counterproductive to be eating more! I'll amend my settings and give it ago. BTW, great to meet another Perth person :)
    y

you are losing fat lov!! it will all catch up, i say you are doing great and give it time. i equate it to how a kid grows.. they gain weight, then they get taller.. just like your body, you will lose some inches, then next time around you wont but you lost on the scale! =)
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Maybe increase your calories...i looked at a few days and it looks like you are consistently UNDER 1200 net calories. As much working out as you are doing you need fuel for your body, especially to maintain muscle mass while losing fat. Maybe you need to workout less to keep your net calories above 1200.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If you set your activity level to include the workouts, you don't want to eat the exercise calories back from them because they are already included. Is that what you meant when you said you have your activity level as lightly active? Set your activity to what it would be IF you didn't do a workout.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    All I would suggest is maybe switching it to 0.5lb a week, you're right on the cusp according to these guidelines:

o Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    o With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    o With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    o With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)

This is good stuff... I find it to be accurat in my situation. Do you happen to have a referrence for where you found it or is it personal knowledge?
  • Peta22
    Options
    Thanks boobee32... I know but how long will it take to shed the layer/s of fat over the top of the newly toned muscles that I KNOW are developing? :( It also frustrates me that on the BMI scale I'm still over weight and, for my height, I'm supposed to be between 55 and 60kg - I'm 68kg!

Sorry - venting! :(

I know it's only been 2wks but even a small loss would be soooo satisfying after 2wks of counting every calorie and hours of sweating, groaning, cursing and pain in general! Lol...
  • snobuni08
    snobuni08 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have been working out A LOT over the last 3 months and have not seen results on the scale (well very little) BUT I HAVE lost inches. My clothes fit better and people have been able to notice a difference. I think someone else already suggested it but if you haven't taken your measurements (i do calf, thigh, hips, waist, chest and bicep) I would recommend starting now. My trainer has me wait one month in between measurements. Whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP. Even if you aren't losing the weight think of all the good you are doing for you body with the workouts. GOOD LUCK!
  • Peta22
    Options
    My1985freckle... Cool username :) I set my activity to lightly active because my day consists of about 70% desk work and 30% on my feet (I.e: housework, errands, gardening, cooking ect)... I'm presently working out 1-2 times a day doing 30DS and some lighter cardio for about an hour (fat burning not fitness according to my HRM).
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options

You may also, if you are not doing this already is to eat 5 small meals a day. I just realized this week that my slow progress was due to not eating enough calories (I too thought that you never eat back your workout) and that I needed to kick my metabolism into gear and eat 5 times a day. i will see how I do in a few weeks.