Weight Lifting spotters

Options
I struggle to find an available partner for lifting weights...

Some of the guys in the gym are on CV equipment when I want to lift and others seem very much hostile... So when this is the case, I tend to lift a little lighter than I know I'm capable of on the free weights or just go for the resistance machines or smith machine.

What do you do when you haven't got a spotter available... would you be annoyed if someone (genuinely- don't say it just 'cos it seems like the right answer to say "of course I would!") asked you to spot for them on 2 or 3 exercises? I know some guys in my gym definitely don't train with a spotter...

Answers here please!

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you wait until I'm resting, I'll spot you for your last set of bench press
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I really don't like having a spotter for is bench press, but even then I just do it to failure, roll the bar down my chest and sit up and put it on the seat, then move it back.

It isn't really great, hurts like hell and leaves my chest red as a lobster but that's what I do...

It did go wrong one time when my arms went and the weight fell onto my chin, then bounced onto my neck...but I managed to get it off so I didn't die, which is good.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If someone asked to spot I'd be fine with it, especially if say I'm resting on the bench press and they want to work in, so I spot them, they spot me.

I don't have a spotter most times and have made the mistake of lifting too heavy, or going for the extra rep and having the bar crushing me against the bench, unable to move.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When I went to the gym, I would spot for anyone. I figured it was the best way to have a spotter when I needed one. I would even volunteer to spot for others when they hadn't asked. If you offer to others before you ever ask, you may be able to get some to spot you.

That said, I found I don't care for gyms because of all the people trying to be impressed with themselves and that I too often succumb to any excuse to not go. So I got a resistance machine, dumbbells, a treadmill, a bicycle, and a medicine ball. It ended up costing less than two years at the gym. I also work out with more regularity than going to a gym.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem asking anyone for a spot. Or giving one if asked.
    Many times I've also asked others if they needed a spot, and 90% of the time they were happy to get one, but were jsut a little too shy to ask.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Someone actually asked me to spot them today, first time that's ever happened. I had no problem and gladly helped. Of course the guy was only doing 2 reps so it wasn't a huge time waste or anything...

Maybe some of those guys look more hostile than they actually are. You never know until you ask. Good luck.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I will always spot if asked and I am in a rest or between lifts. I for one HATE being spotted. I bench in a power rack and set the safety bars so that I’m only pinched a little when I lift to failure and can squirm free and re rack the bar. Embarrassing? Sure.

But then I don't ever have to rely on anybody else. (common theme in my life.)

edit: the reason I dislike being spotted is that most people don't know how to spot and try to lift the weight for you rather than letting you work through it. I don't want your fingers on the damn bar until it starts going negative when I'm trying to push!!!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day. I used to have a workout partner and loved maxing out, but since I don't anymore I've been sticking to low weight high reps. I've been thinking of just asking someone to spot me when i bench press. I don't think people would mind too much (I've actually seen people ask others to spot) I personally wouldn't mind helping someone out as long as I wasn't doing a super set workout. So many people take long *kitten* breaks between their sets anyway. You could always trade services lol, let them know you're always willing to help them out if they need it. Good luck!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Most your work can be done without a spotter. Just use the power rack.

You don't need a deadlift spotter
    For squats, which are hard to spot anyway, you can set the weights on the bars going across.
    Drag that bench in there, and set the bars just below the bottom of your ROM so you can lay it there in case of a failed rep.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would def. ask! or ask to join in on someone's routine so you each spot each other. Im pretty sure a guy would be more than happy to spot you :)

Are you allowed to bail out at your gym? as in drop your weights?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've never once had an issue from asking anyone for a spot. Guys might look hostile cause they're trying to lift heavy **** =)
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    Personally i don't like stopping my workout to spot for someone. In my past experiences i find that if you help someone once, then they ask you all the time. Of course if someone asked me too i would not say no, i just wouldnt act like i was thrilled to be doing it. i would say if you dont have a spotter, just use dumbells and if you fail, you can just place them on the floor (notice i didnt say DROP). I personally am not a big fan of lifting real heavy weights, My philosophy would be that if your lifting something that makes you grunt and have that look of constipation, put it the hell DOWN!!!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I generally socialize a little at the gym and get to know some of the regulars. It makes it less awkward to ask for a spot because you seem to "know" them a little bit. I usually don't mind spotting other people either but I don't like getting asked to spot someone on every lift on every machine for their entire workout.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I will always spot if asked and I am in a rest or between lifts. I for one HATE being spotted. I bench in a power rack and set the safety bars so that I’m only pinched a little when I lift to failure and can squirm free and re rack the bar. Embarrassing? Sure.

edit: the reason I dislike being spotted is that most people don't know how to spot and try to lift the weight for you rather than letting you work through it. I don't want your fingers on the damn bar until it starts going negative when I'm trying to push!!!

Print this off for people...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru36.htm
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Most your work can be done without a spotter. Just use the power rack.

You don't need a deadlift spotter
    For squats, which are hard to spot anyway, you can set the weights on the bars going across.
    Drag that bench in there, and set the bars just below the bottom of your ROM so you can lay it there in case of a failed rep.

We don't have that facility in our little gym at the moment sadly. It's a very small military gym (we're expecting the new flashy one to open in April - we had to have confirmation the station was going to stay open before they were allowed the go ahead and the strategic defence review literally took years to sort out)

Also we can throw weights down... it's the Bench press I fear the most... I HAVE almost gotten stuck before... wasn't being properly spotted - but did have a mate nearby if I needed help... Most people want to be in and out so if they're not doing compound moves alternate arms/upper body and legs exercises. Also, there aren't a significant number of people in the gym at any one time... which shocks me being that we're all military and should be fit... but then again... there's been a huge shake up lately and they're taken failed fitness tests a lot more seriously and so the unfit people are out after 3 failed attempts (in any one discipline- not just CV- Push ups and Sit ups included) I think sections are organising their own PT in the form of sport and runs off unit etc. Also the cutting of so many students and it being a small ish base probably accounts for that too!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Print this off for people...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru36.htm

This was a great thing as a related topic on HOW to spot!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Gyms that have smith machines but no power cage upset me a lot.

If you don't put the collars on, you cannot get stuck.