Disappointed and ready to give up :(

Options
This is my third day and im already ready to quit. I have been so good about what I eat and put EVERYTHING down in food diary. I have been under my calories and have been walking for 3 days now. I got on the scale this morning all excited and I gained 2 lbs!! How can that happen? When i went to weight watchers before that first week is the biggest loss like 7 or 8 lbs then it slowed down to 1-2 per week after that. Help me please :sad:

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up-you are doing this right, and your weight will shift. Are you getting enough to drink? Your body may be hanging onto fluids.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    PS: I just checked out your food diary, and you may have a lot of sodium coming in. That could account for any water retention. Dry drinking water with lemon and consider tracking your sodium. :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    you said it was your 3rd DAY! Please try to see the big picture. You can't look for instant gratification if you're ever going to lose the weight and keep it off. I know it's frustrating but maybe you should just NOT weigh yourself for several weeks and keep doing what you KNOW is right. This way you'll have made some progress and when you see that on the scale several weeks down the line you'll have some momentum.
  • falconspicegirl99
    Options
    First off, what will quitting get you? Will quitting help you lose weight?? No...it won't. So, the only alternative is to stick with it. Give it more than 3 days. Do a google search to understand how the number on the scale is not the whole story.

But most of all, give yourself a pat on the back for the effort you've put into this in the past few days! Don't be so hard on yourself.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I second..don't give up! I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to throw in the towel. This is a journey and honestly it sucks sometimes..:laugh: In a year and half I've lost 37 pounds.. my weight loss is sloooowww and I mean very slow. I've became so frustrated many times and wanted to just quit but have stuck it out. I know eventually I will get to where I want to be.

Give it some more time.. feel free to add me if you'd like..we can share our frustrations together!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, it will definitely take time :) I try not to weight myself every week.

Drink plenty of fluids and just keep up the great work that you're doing :)

Before you know it, you'll be walking those pounds right off :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    you said it was your 3rd DAY! Please try to see the big picture. You can't look for instant gratification if you're ever going to lose the weight and keep it off. I know it's frustrating but maybe you should just NOT weigh yourself for several weeks and keep doing what you KNOW is right. This way you'll have made some progress and when you see that on the scale several weeks down the line you'll have some momentum.

Agreed. Very rarely will you ever see results in 3 days. You have to be in this for the long haul or you will easily get fed up and quit.

Keep at it for 2 weeks, then weigh yourself.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options

^^^THIS It's only day 3. And your weight is going to fluctuate especially if you take in a lot of sodium. Your body will retain water and that will show on the scale. You really need to give this more time and quit obsessing over the scale.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't despair!!

One to two pounds is a healthy goal. It is probably not advisable to expect more rapid weight loss.

Also, most folks here on MFP, along with my personal trainer, recommend not weighing in more than once per week. I only weigh in with my PT every 3 to 4 weeks. Your body weight will naturally fluctuate by a couple of pounds and weighing too frequently only reinforces scale obsession. A much better focus is on an overall healthy approach to eating and exercising.

Another reason not to despair, as you ramp up your exercise, you will build muscle, which weighs more, but takes up less space, than fat. My PT even told me that in the first six weeks, i may increase bulk a bit. But once you begin replacing fat with muscle, it will start to improve your weight loss as muscle also burns more calories.

I would suggest giving yourself a reasonable time line, perhaps one month, to stay active with your focus on healthy foods and increased exercise. And also, stick with MFP. I find the Community pages here very useful for keeping me motivated and hopefully you will too. But most important for me was recording every bite i put in my mouth and reviewing all of my nutritional statistics daily. I am shocked at how much i have never really known about food and healthy eating. I learn something new every day. And knowledge is power. I am surprised at how little i now even think about things i used to crave daily, just because i now understand what those things mean nutritionally.

And finally, i have read on here repeatedly that you did not put the weight on in 2 or 3 days so you cannot expect it to come off that rapidly!!

Friend me if you like! Having friends helps.
  • ladyamandajane
    Options
    :smile:

nooooooo dont give up, the friends you will make while on my fitness pal are second to none, this sites gives so much encouragement and helps with your diet and exercise. Just give it time and you will start to see result.
    :smile:
  • dancingqueen2013
    dancingqueen2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I started I didnt weigh myself for 3 weeks and I had 4lbs off, not a big loss and I would love it to come off faster but it didnt go on overnight so I can't expect miracles. In 3 days your body hasn't adjusted to the new programme so you will just have to be patient; bann yourself from the scales for two weeks, keep at it and you will get a lovely surprise.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

THIS ^^^^^^^^^

You cannot be serious about thinking you should be seeing results in 3 days...MAYbe 3 weeks, even that is a short amount of time.

If you stick with it, it will work. You have to be diligent. It took me 5 hard core serious months to lose 20 pounds.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Trust me, I have been there many times.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration. Sometimes we feel the need for that first bit of encouragement to get us going in the right direction. However, that can backfire as you have seen. Don't base your motivation on what you see on the scale this early in the process. The following might sound harsh, but these are the things I've learned from my journey.

First, get off the scale. Sometimes I think WW does its people a great disservice teaching them to weigh in so much. If you're doing WW, then let your weigh in be only at the meetings. Not at home. Ever. Don't weigh in between weeklies. It doesn't help.

Second, too much salt will cause water retention. This will cause weight gain, particularly in the beginning.

Third, it is frequently common to not see any weight loss for the first six weeks, so try not to be so hard on yourself. You didn't gain the weight in three days and you're not going to lose it in three days. You might see a loss in a week, but you might not. When I first started I didn't see my first loss for six weeks, but I kept going and it paid off.

You can do this. But you have to start by giving yourself a long term viewpoint. If you want to lose the 38 pounds, accept that this is going to take time. You have to be okay with the idea that you might not lose eight pounds in one week. You might be working all year to lose those 38 pounds. And that's OK. Again, we didn't gain our weight overnight and we're not going to lose it overnight.

If you need encouragement, feel free to add me as a friend. Support is what it's all about and together we can do anything.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Wow...only 2 days of tracking and you're already thinking about throwing in the towel?! You're likely eating better and you're being more active than you were just a few days ago - where is the failure in that?! And like another poster asked - exactly how does quitting help you? Sorry for the tough love but in this case, I think it's warranted. Sounds to me like you need to shift your goals to figure out how to make this a long term change to be more healthy and fit, not just a race to a certain weight.

If the scale gives you that much grief than the answer to your post yesterday about how often to weigh would be once a week, if not once a month for you my friend. Obviously daily weighing isn't the way for you to go if the fluctuations that we all see cause so much stress.

Take a deep breath and give it some time...you'll figure it out.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Start tracking sodium! You might be one of those people who is sensitive to sodium, causing you to retain a lot of water weight when you have too much. In just peeking at your food choices, I am pretty sure you've been going way over on sodium.

Also - three days is nothing! Stick with it, and you WILL see results. Personally, I only weighed in once a month and it worked great for me. I always saw big numbers, and it kept me very motivated. :-)
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Did you seriously even expect to lose anything in 2 or 3 days? It's probably you're eating from the days before you started that are showing now. Keep at it and reap the reqards later... 7lbs or 8lbs a week will be mostly water anyway.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Is it normal for you to exercise? I know for me it wasn't and the first few weeks I was exercising the scale didn't move, but I lost inches. Think of it this way, smaller inches means smaller, better fitting clothes. The scale will mess with your head!!!

Also when you start a new exercise routine, your muscles may retain some fluid, therefore they are "swollen" I guess you could say.

You're also only 3 days in, which is NOTHING when looking at the big picture. Fast weight loss is asking for trouble later because you'll expect a ton of weight to come off very quickly and get discouraged when it doesn't. I've done it before and I can tell you the moment you start eating the way you used to, it comes back with a vengeance.

Be patient, continue doing what you're doing, and make sure you drink your water!
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You didn't put the weight on overnight so you can't expect it to come off overnight. Remember that it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your friends and family to notice a difference, and 12 weeks for everyone else. I only weigh once a week...the same day and same time. And I measure once a month.

Good luck and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    1st of all, what others have said above is true. Don't weigh every day, especially when starting a new program. 2nd don't give up. and 3rd, go back and take a look at your diary for the last two days. There is nothing on your diary except for the two hard boiled eggs that is good for you. Everything is high processed foods high in sugar and salt. To be serious about weight loss, you have to be serious about what you are putting into your body. You cannot lose weight and keep it off lby going on a diet. It has to be a life long change. You have to change your eating habits.