If you walk outside for exercise...

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
where do you walk? We just moved to a new town, and I don't know where the city park is yet. I don't really want to drive anywhere to walk, but we live on a fairly busy rural road. However, I do see runners out on it quite a bit. I guess I'd be okay to walk on it, right? Also, do you carry a cellphone or anything just in case? The towns we're near are very small, but I guess you just never know. I think I freak out too easily. LOL

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    where do you walk? We just moved to a new town, and I don't know where the city park is yet. I don't really want to drive anywhere to walk, but we live on a fairly busy rural road. However, I do see runners out on it quite a bit. I guess I'd be okay to walk on it, right? Also, do you carry a cellphone or anything just in case? The towns we're near are very small, but I guess you just never know. I think I freak out too easily. LOL
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is nothing more than my own opinion but at my age (55), you start to think about these things. If you are out walking on roads, or trails, running, cycling, etc, I would always carry a cell phone, either an ID (drivers license) or emergency contact card, and some cash. A few years ago, when I used to cycle more, I was often on roads far away from the car or on park paths--again sometimes 20 miles from my car. In addition to a repair kit for the bike, I always had the essentials I mentioned tucked away in a seatpack.

It's easy enough to walk with a fanny pack containing these items, It's not "freaking out" at all--just good common sense, IMO.
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I walk home from work but I have also gone to the track at a a high school. I do have to drive there but I like it because the track has more cushioning and I even jog periodically while I'm there (I HATE it though) because the track surface has more 'give'. I had my boyfriends cell phone with me and even though there were other people there, it felt good to have it. I don't think you are being paranoid....we women have to worry about these things!
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    i walk every day for an hour around my neighborhood... where a lot of people are running, or walking the dogs. I always take my cellphone and put it on vibrate inside my shorts pockets!! and of course, the IPOD....:)
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I walk & bike wherever I want! I prefer the street to the parks/tracks b/c you get a varied terrain instead of just flat. Take your cell phone and walk 30 minutes in one direction and then turn around and go home. I have found that when I just walk my neighborhood (where I pass my house more than once), I wimp out and call it quits earlier than I should. If you decide how long you are going to walk, divide it in half and walk away from your house for that half time...you have to walk the same distance to get home! I walk much further when I do it this way!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I walk a 3.4 mile route around my neighborhood with a dog or two. I feel pretty safe with the dogs and my neighborhood is not too bad, but I NEVER go anywhere without my cell phone. I rarely worry about personal attacks, but there are so many other things that could happen where a cell phone is critical. If I go out on foot without a dog, or with a small dog, I also bring pepper spray with me. Not just to protect me, but also to protect a small dog from being attacked by a large, unleashed dog or a coyote (both of which are problems around here.) Being prepared is not paranoid, it's smart. :flowerforyou:

I use this site: www.geodistance.com to map out my route and show me the distance I have traveled. You could try using it to help you map out your walking route, too, especially if you don't know your neighborhood too well. I use the satellite/map hybrid because the map-only feature doesn't show sidewalks or trails. It has been a valuable tool for me.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you're walking at sunrise or at dusk, a good investment is a reflective vest. You can find mesh ones for the summer, but you should make sure they have plenty of reflective tape.
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    This is a little off topic, but still hits your point. My husband and I were going home from a large city when half way home (20 miles into the country) we came across 2 bicyclers. One was laying in the road...we stopped to see if we could help. I have emergency training, so it doesn't hurt to ask. It was a husband and wife and she said that while biking, he just fell over. She didn't know what was going on (he was having a seizure..but neither had a phone or ID's or anything. So the car that stopped just before us called 911, my husband directed traffic and I got my CPR mask out of the glove box and monitored him while we waited for the ambulance. If he were alone, no one would have even known his name! So it's ALWAYS a good idea to carry ID and a phone.

Also, make sure you enter an ICE number in your cell phone. ICE stands for "In case of Emergency". Paramedics look for this in a phone if there is a question of identity. In my case my hubby's number is listed as ICE-Dan.

You just never know!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you enter an ICE number in your cell phone. ICE stands for "In case of Emergency". Paramedics look for this in a phone if there is a question of identity. In my case my hubby's number is listed as ICE-Dan.

This is a good idea! Thanks!

I walk/run on a rural road to. We live in a small neighborhood that after you leave it there is about a mile stretch before you get to other houses.

Like others have said take precautions. Reflective/light colored clothing, be aware of your surroundings. I usually see the same people walking or running. Even the same cars. DH also knows my route and about how long I'm gone depending if i'm on a walk or run day.