calories per day

Options
Do most of you follow the MFP recommended calories? If so, are you losing on a regular basis? Or have you customized tour goals and lowered your calories?
I had lowered and not found it effective and now reset but am worried about the extra calories. Any Feedback?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have always followed the MFP recommended calories and lost weight on a regular basis (30 pounds total), other than a plateau here and there.

I have never customized my goals, though I aim to exceed MFP's protein and fiber goals daily.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    When I first start mfp, I set my goals at 2 lb per week and listed myself as sedentary. I was given the 1200 calorie level.
    That didn't work out in the long run.
    I was always tired and I binged regularly.

Now, I've set my goal for 1 lb per week and I listed myself as lightly active and mfp set my calorie count at 1930. (I weigh in the 250s and I'm female and 51)
    I am losing weight ... just over 7 lbs now in about 3 weeks. I feel more energetic, my sleep is better and I haven't binged one, single time.

n=1: Raised calorie level = no bingeing = more consistent calorie deficit overall = lasting success! :flowerforyou:
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've always followed the recommendations. I feel I've been doing fine, though I do admit I have a bit of trouble reaching the calorie goal occasionally.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not strict about the calories, but I don't ignore them either. Somedays I'm over and somedays I'm under. If I'm not hungry I don't eat even if MFP tells me I have calories left for the day. Likeways, if MFP tells me I have none but I am hungry (not craving, truly hungry), then I eat. But if you average it out, I'm pretty close to the recommendation. I don't measure when I cook or own a HRM so it's all pretty much guesswork anyway. I exceeded my original goal almost a year ago.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Once I realized that my initial goal of losing two pounds a week was unrealistic, I did great at MFP's recommended calories. I did better with an increased protein goal, though.

But now on maintenance, I found I had to increase my calories to stop losing weight.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Do most of you follow the MFP recommended calories? If so, are you losing on a regular basis? Or have you customized tour goals and lowered your calories?
    I had lowered and not found it effective and now reset but am worried about the extra calories. Any Feedback?

I followed them for a few weeks, but the 1200 allowance was making me lightheaded, so I too some advice, increased my allowance, and lose about 1.5lb per week eating between 1500-1750 a day.

I've also changed my macros to 40%c, 30%f and 30%p as MFP's protein levels are very low.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I always suggest if it is not working to increase (not decrease) your caloires. As most people choose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive for the amount they have to lose. Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals on MFP, and on top of the goal calories you should eat back at least most, if not all, of the cals burned from exercise:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • tfancey
    tfancey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've customized mine a bit... I feel much better eating at 1313 than at 1200
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump, would like to know what people says but in the few months that I have been following MFP, their cals work, but you have to find out what works for you body and stick to it until the scale does not move and then again try to switch things around and see where it takes you!
  • SulliedSocks
    SulliedSocks Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I started by following the allowed calories and saw a great difference! However, i was unpleased with the projected time it would have taken me to reach my goal weight. Knowing that i neeed to get up off my a** anyway in order to really lose weight i changed my goals to something i could do comfortably. Originally i was supposed to take in 3600 calories, then i shrunk them to 2600, now i am down to 2000. I feel strong and i'm getting everything my body needs. There are some moments where i feel pretty hungry but i push through. in a little less than 2 months ive managed to lose almost 40 lbs. Alot of it is watching my cals. but you need to get up and move to be successfull. GL in your journey
  • gudiiya
    Options

I followed them for a few weeks, but the 1200 allowance was making me lightheaded, so I too some advice, increased my allowance, and lose about 1.5lb per week eating between 1500-1750 a day.

I've also changed my macros to 40%c, 30%f and 30%p as MFP's protein levels are very low.

I am in the same boat...same exact thing but I have not changes my macros....but now I am starting to think about them!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I always suggest if it is not working to increase (not decrease) your caloires. As most people choose a weekly weight loss goal that is too aggressive for the amount they have to lose. Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals on MFP, and on top of the goal calories you should eat back at least most, if not all, of the cals burned from exercise:

After setting mine to TDEE - 20%, I am losing an average of 1.5 per weekly, with 50lb to lose, so I am happy to see you post that. :)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was following their recommendation, 1250, until this week. I increased by 200 calories based on lots of reading on this site, and so far so good (cross my fingers....).
  • gudiiya
    Options

Never saw this before...I think it makes a lot of sense! :)
  • lauraemthomson
    lauraemthomson Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    i have always followed MFP reommended cals plus ate my gained calories. seems to be working for me.
    3932259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It was way off for me. Calorie counting never worked for me I got better results when I dropped wheat and went low carb in general with a few spike days, but still eat as much fruit, veg etc as I want on non-spike days.

Spike days I may allow potato with meal or rice and usually a bit of chocolate or a brandy & coke gets thrown in! :wink: ..still lost something each month, never plateaued yet (started last June).. 3lbs to go!! :happy:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    It's a decent starting point, but I customized it for myself personally, as I believe most people should be doing.
  • Lmkurtz725
    Options
    I seem to be eating the recommended calories, but not the calories burned from exercising. I use a HRM to determine my calories burned, but I just can't bring myself to eat all those extra calories! I lost 59 pounds on NS, but gained back about 13 after knee surgery. Now that I'm back at the gym, I feel like I can lose the weight if only I would get serious about this. I find myself binging at night (just have to STOP this). Also, my trainer suggested 40% protein 40% Carbs and 20% fat...any thoughts? Also, any suggestions about how to get back in the mindset I was in two years ago when I really started to lose the weight.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I started out like everyone else and did what MFP said I should and at 1200 calories. I was not a happy camper. I increased to 1300 calories and felt much better, but I was not eating my exercise calories back. I started to eat them back and change to 1350 that a still lost slowly but surely. The past 2 weeks I cannot decide what I want my calories goals to be. I am eating 1450 right now with very little exercise compared to the start of my journey. I am still trying to decide where I want my fitness and calorie goals to be. All I know is 1200 calories is too little for me and I am 4'11".
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I seem to be eating the recommended calories, but not the calories burned from exercising. I use a HRM to determine my calories burned, but I just can't bring myself to eat all those extra calories! I lost 59 pounds on NS, but gained back about 13 after knee surgery. Now that I'm back at the gym, I feel like I can lose the weight if only I would get serious about this. I find myself binging at night (just have to STOP this). Also, my trainer suggested 40% protein 40% Carbs and 20% fat...any thoughts? Also, any suggestions about how to get back in the mindset I was in two years ago when I really started to lose the weight.

you are probably binging because you are not eating back you exercise calories. Working out makes you hungry because you burn ALOT of energy. MFP already has a deficit built into your calorie goal. Eating back your calories is they best way to lose at a healthy rate.