2-Day Fast Formula

Options
So I was on beachbody.com the other day, looking through all of their different workout plans and nutritional items and ran across the 2-day fast formula. You use just the formula for two days to help jump start weight loss. I am always intrigued by all of these different weight losses and fasts and am just curious what other people think. I would like all sorts of feedback, whether you use it, heard of other people who used it, or are familiar in this type of area. I usually just stick to counting my calories, but thought I'd see what others' opinions are!! Thanks!

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I used to look for fast fixes all the time. I've come to the belief that unless you are ready to change how you eat and adapt to a healthier life style they are pointless b/c the weight will come right back. And a 2 day formula probably just sucks out any water weight you have so any bloat is gone.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no magic formula. If you want to get it off and keep it off, it's diet and exercise.

That is all.

Have a great day.
  • andmarie85
    Options
    Hi, i have used the fasting method and it does really work with the correct supplements. I did it once a week for a couple of weeks and i managed to lose about 1kg in 2 days each week. Its a great way to reset your body after a binge weekend but i wouldnt recommend doing it more than once a week. I started it on a Monday, i'd get up and eat 2 eggs plus my protein shake and that would then cover me to the next morning where i'd eat my normal breakfast. If you think about it, you are sleeping for most of it so it's very easy to do. Just make sure you get the correct supplements and drink lots of water to keep the hunger pains at bay :)
    Hope this helps.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Without the proper nutrients, you'd be losing muscle as well as fat fasting for two days.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Obviously, if you don't eat 2 days, and you would normally eat 1,750 calories a day, in two days, you should lose one pound. Since it would not change your metabolism that much, you would probably not notice any of that.

Yet, when you fast, you need to drink plenty of water, and only water. Second, you don't exercise at full pace. Or if you do, pay attention to your body and stop if you get light headed.

If you haven't fasted before, start by only missing one meal. Most figure lunch or dinner are the one to miss. Don't eat more at the other meals. Then, add another meal. Finally, add the third to get a days fast.
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was a member of LA Weight Loss for several months. They start the program with "take-off" I saw quick drop in weight, but I agree that it was pretty much water weight. I, however, did not gain any of that back (at the time!). I actually lost 80+ lbs following LA, but got pregnant and used that as an excuse to eat anything that didn't move....

Good luck!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    It's really not that healthy and will be water weight you are losing
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's really not that healthy and will be water weight you are losing

What is not healthy about fasting? I know people who fat for a number of reasons. Christians have fasted for centuries. Fasting, in and of itself, is very healthy. As a pastor, I have read a number of books on it. It can be very healthy if that time not eating, is spent realizing the blessings of food.

The question becomes what is the point of the fast? If it is to lose weight, you will lose one pound for every 3,500 calories you wouldn't have eaten. So, two days of fasting will be a pound. If that is the only change to someone's diet and life style, than fasting is not healthy. If the person spends the rest of the week eating correctly, and the fast was to focus on the importance of healthy food, than it could be very healthy.

A one day fast, entered with a lighter meal as the last meal, and a light meal as the next meal can be very healthy. SImply watch the calorie intake the days after the fast. If the fast becomes longer than 24-36 hours, contact a doctor before entering fast, and cut back on exercise and drink plenty of water.

I have a friend who hikes mountains, and is an ideal weight who has been fasting for two weeks a year for the past twenty years. He will go two days with no food, and then only broth one day then without food. He takes vitamins and consults his doctor. He seems fairly healthy to me after all this time. It is more to get your brain around the importance of food-and healthy food at that.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Fasting is okay, only if you don't push your body too hard (as in no exercise). But a lot of the "fast" programs you see out there are not true fasts (where you have nothing but water). All you lose during those is water weight. You'll put it right back on in no time. The reason people like them is it gives them a motivational boost. It's hard to stay on a weight loss plan if you're not losing anything. So do a fast and poof! You start losing. It's not magic, it's not weight you couldn't have lost another way, it's just a boost for your motivation to get you to stick with it. Personally, I can't go a day without food, let alone 2. It just wouldn't happen. You have to be really good about drinking water too. And keep drinking the water afterwards to keep the loss. Otherwise the water weight will come right back anyway.