How do I stop the cravings for carbs

Options
Well I feel off the low carb wagon on sunday and monday cause of a birthday ;( should have known better.
Ive been good sence but today they brought donuts and bagels in the office and its killing me I want it sooo bad. I wish I could stop this feeling.

any suggestions?

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well you won't get much support here but I can not eat carbs so they can rip me to shreds if they want to.

If I fall off, I protein load to kill my carb cravings, if I am craving sweets then I load with protein shakes, once I get enough protein and fat in my system, my food cravings go away.
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Glad that you're back on the 'wagon' so to speak. I usually find something like unsweetened vanilla almond milk...that helps me. Another thing that someone told me about was to whip up some heavy cream, with a little no carb sweetener, and put it in the freezer....take a spoonful of it may help
  • shafferbrandy10
    Options
    Thanks for the help
  • Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Light carbs like wholegrain rice cakes with a tasty protein based topping.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...protein, protein, protein!
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are you trying to consume per day? Also replace your carbs with fats if you get that feeling, almonds/nuts, coconut oil, fried/boiled eggs, full fat greek yogurt with stevia and cinnamon. It could also be that your daily caloric intake may be too low, as well as your carbs being too low. This can send us lady folk into a stress induced eating frenzy, gotta balance your macros/cals properly or your going to feel starved/deprived.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    By eating them in moderation as opposed to rigid restriction.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I stopped eating simple carbohydrates like rice, breads and pasta for a few weeks. I replaced them with steamed veg instead. It is hard but the craving stops after a few days.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't advocate low carb/no carb diets. I know there are some out there that really can't have carbs, but for me it doesn't work. I steer clear of simple carbs for the most part, making the majority of my choices Whole grains. I do indulge in the occasional doughnut or piece of cake though. For me since I know 75% of my carbs are complex I don't stress over those that aren't.. I find when I make a food off limit I crave it and will end up binging. There is no food that is a no no for me.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Protein milkshakes!

1 cup Almond Coconut Milk (Unsweetened)
    1 Scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder (I use EAS Whey Protein Vanilla, 3g Carbs)
    2 TBSP Walton Farms 0 Calorie, 0 Carb Chocolate syrup

Blend and enjoy.

You can add ice too, but I usually drink it without. It really tricks me into thinking I'm having a real milkshake every time.

Edit: Wanted to add that you can also increase your "healthy" fat intake. Use coconut oil or olive oil to cook with. Eat avocados. I have eggs for breakfast and am not hungry for hours after.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Well I feel off the low carb wagon on sunday and monday cause of a birthday ;( should have known better.
    Ive been good sence but today they brought donuts and bagels in the office and its killing me I want it sooo bad. I wish I could stop this feeling.

any suggestions?
    Quit low carbing. If you're craving them and like to eat them, then you're on the wrong lifestyle eating program. DON'T take on diet just to lose weight. Take on an eating style you can live with for life and and lose weight doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I agree with earlier poster...protein shakes help take the edge off. Might try some chocolate flavored and put it in light chocolate milk. Keeps me from eating too many carbs.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...protein, protein, protein!
    Yes this! And eat fewer carbs then you'll crave few carbs!
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

any suggestions?
    Quit low carbing. If you're craving them and like to eat them, then you're on the wrong lifestyle eating program. DON'T take on diet just to lose weight. Take on an eating style you can live with for life and and lose weight doing it.

IDEA Fitness member

Thumbs up. :)
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    CHUG ridiculous amounts of water. In fact, every time you have a craving or strong urge go drink a whole glass of water. Also, try to keep yourself as occupied as possible. IF you don't have work to do sift through the before and after pics in the forums to pump you up and help you stay focused on the end goal. You need to learn to control your cravings with something constructive, not more food. Calories are calories whether you eat one 350 calorie donut or one pound of chicken breast (~350 calories).

If you are legitimately hungry eat something and chug water with it too. One other tip is to plan your entire day's food. Log every calorie you are going to eat rather than as you eat.

For what its worth, these are things that I figured out and helped me and I still practice.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Glad that you're back on the 'wagon' so to speak. I usually find something like unsweetened vanilla almond milk...that helps me. Another thing that someone told me about was to whip up some heavy cream, with a little no carb sweetener, and put it in the freezer....take a spoonful of it may help

You can substitute low or no fat greek yogurt for this and add some unsweetened cocoa powder giving you a yummy rich desert! Added benefit of protein and fiber to keep you full longer!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

any suggestions?

IDEA Fitness member

what he said. unless you medically can't have 'em, why stop yourself. losing weight through diet change shouldn't make you miserable and want things all the time. that's why, ultimately, they most often fail -- because people don't want to be miserable, eating things they don't like and not eating things they do.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't advocate low carb/no carb diets. I know there are some out there that really can't have carbs, but for me it doesn't work. I steer clear of simple carbs for the most part, making the majority of my choices Whole grains. I do indulge in the occasional doughnut or piece of cake though. For me since I know 75% of my carbs are complex I don't stress over those that aren't.. I find when I make a food off limit I crave it and will end up binging. There is no food that is a no no for me.

This^

Well said. If you don't have a medical condition, strive for "quality" carbs. Look for a whole grain bagel AND then only eat half.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd try peanut butter on a low carb wrap. Probably just half a wrap would do it since pb is so filling, and you'll get the sensation of a pb sandwich.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'd try peanut butter on a low carb wrap. Probably just half a wrap would do it since pb is so filling, and you'll get the sensation of a pb sandwich.

Sometimes I just eat peanut butter right off the spoon... but I have a sick addiction to it. :embarassed:
    However, I will say... one or two tbsps takes my hunger away.
    I mean with time the cravings go away, anyway.