Anyone new to running?

Options
I could REALLY use a friend who can motivate and support me as I work torward my goal of becoming a regular runner. I have been running off and on w/ my hubby for a few months now, but cramping issues (I will get into that later). Before I run my mouth any more trying to explaine myself, I would be intrested in seeing if anyone would like to chat!

Replies

• CourtneyTree
    Options
    I could REALLY use a friend who can motivate and support me as I work torward my goal of becoming a regular runner. I have been running off and on w/ my hubby for a few months now, but cramping issues (I will get into that later). Before I run my mouth any more trying to explaine myself, I would be intrested in seeing if anyone would like to chat!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'd love to be running buddies! I am pretty new to it also. I've been running on the treadmill for months but recently started taking it outside and did my first two 5ks in the last two weeks.
    I LOVE IT!!! I'm not fast by any means and I'm trying to learn all about pace, speedwork, tempo and all that good stuff so we can help motivate each other.

I also started cramping during the first race that I did, I believe these are called side stitches and are very common with runners. I spoke with a guy that owns the local running store, He said to drink plenty of water and it's all about your breathing. I think he said that the cramps come from your diaphragm expanding and such (seasoned runners please chime in) but he told me whenever I start to catch a cramp put your hands over your head, fingers interlocked and kind of stretch back. You can even do this while running. Sure enough, last week when I raced I did it and NO cramps. Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    yep! and i just ran my first 5k yesterday!!!