Best foods to fight off a fatty liver...

Options
I know I have a "fatty liver" and have been doing extensive research online to find out the best foods to help make it leaner and meaner. I just thought I'd reach out and see if anyone had any good ideas.

Replies

• misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I was surprised I didn't get any hits on this so I'm just throwing this back out there. Does anyone else have this condition and if so what were your doctor's recommendations? Mine said basically no alcohol but that isn't my problem, I rarely drink and when I do it's usually wine so no problems giving that up. But he said nutrition would help too and I'm just curious what others are eating to combat this problem.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    Hi!!! I have the same condition. Basically, I eat a clean, high fiber diet. I try not to drink too much or to often, as avoiding alcohol is key to allowing the body to heal. I have been a runner for years, I have never been overweight and have not been a long term drinker... My doctor thinks it is genetics. It is really important to be active and at a healthy weight.
  • misticache
    Options
    Thanks!
  • misticache
    Options
    This is basically what the link says if anyone is interested....

Treatment of Fatty Liver Disease

There is no specific treatment at this time for fatty liver disease. However, getting treatment for any underlying disease, such as diabetes, is essential. And you can take other steps to improve your condition.

If you have alcoholic liver disease and you are a heavy drinker, quitting drinking is the most important thing you can do. Find the support you need to be successful. With ALD, continued use of alcohol can lead to advanced disease, including alcoholic hepatitis or cirrhosis. Even for those with NAFLD, however, avoiding alcohol may help.

If you are overweight or obese, do what you can to gradually lose weight -- no more than 1 or 2 pounds a week. A recent study showed that weight loss of at least 9% over a period of months can help reverse NASH. Even less weight loss than this can help lessen buildup of fat in the liver.

Eat a balanced and healthy diet and increase your physical activity. In addition to limiting calories, avoid diets rich in refined, rapidly digested carbohydrates. This includes limiting foods such as white bread, white rice, and concentrated sugar.

Avoiding unnecessary medications can also help slow or reverse the disease. Clinical trials are also looking at the effectiveness of certain antioxidants and newer diabetes medications in treating fatty liver disease. This is because of the disease's link to oxidative stress and diabetes. These include:

* Vitamin E
    * Selenium
    * Betaine
    * Metformin
    * Rosiglitazone
    * Pioglitazone

New findings about the role of bacteria in the development of fatty liver disease may lead to still other options for treatment, such as by counteracting unbalanced diets with probiotics. These are dietary supplements containing healthy live bacteria or yeasts.

If cirrhosis becomes severe, a liver transplant may be needed. A surgeon removes the damaged liver and replaces it with a healthy one.
  • tiseminger
    tiseminger Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My hubby has fatty liver (non-alcoholic) and NASH, possibly metabolic syndrome. From my understanding the 3 often go together. He is just getting started in treatment process. He will be joining a study in Seattle because so little is known about the conditions.

Esentially we have switched to a diet as close to vegan as we can tolerate. We still eat some fat free cheeses and salmon from time to time. I have started a blogsite with some tips and recipes I have come up with that help us stay on track. From my understanding, a low-fat diet is the best you can do for yourself at this time. Eat lots of veggies, dark greens are good for liver. Some good detox teas available, although, I don't know much about how efficient those are.

Keep in touch, I'd like to know how you do :happy:

Tracy @ www.busyvegetarianmom.com
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My husband's gastroenterologist had him take these liver detox pills when he had some tests come back that his liver was fatty.

https://www.nuskin.com/content/nuskin/en_US/products/pharmanex/targeted_treatments/specialized_needs/01003502.html

They are hard to find though, they only sell Pharmanex products at select pharmacies. Usually smaller family owned ones have it.
  • kathleen2001
    Options
    bump
  • Drsmh
    Drsmh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am just now seeing the post. Sorry! My blood work came back terrible in Jan. and had been as far back as 2010. In 2010 they looked at liver w/ ultrasound and said fatty liver. This Jan. mynumbers were worse. So I went on a major "change my life" crusade....working on losing 65 pounds, watching and counting everything that goes in my mouth, no meds that affect liver, no alcohol, etc. At just a 23 pound loss, the numbers on everything changed drastically for the better and right at normal, including the liver.
    SOOOO, I say weight loss, watching everything.
    Dr. had mentioned that a fatty liver eventually will turn into cirrhosis. That really put a major scare on me. At this point, bloodwork is excellent and I'm still working on more weight toward my 65 pound goal.
    Feel free to email me:pshughes1@hotmail.com
    SUSAN
  • teeniemarie619
    teeniemarie619 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can try the supplement - Milk Thistle. The gastro gave me a list of herbs to avoid, but when I asked about Milk Thistle - she said it can help.
  • VeeDub75
    Options
    I've recently been diagnosed with fatty liver as well. My gastroenterologist said to diet and exercise. I've lost 11 lbs. so far just watching my diet. I am hoping that my blood work in a couple weeks shows improvement.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I have NASH and my GI doctor has told me to lose weight and thus I am here. He claims that weight loss will help prevent cirrhosis and may completely reverse the condition. I am making better choices, and stay with in my caloric amounts.
  • yourmomdude
    Options
    I have fatty liver disease. So does my mom. It's hereditary. My MD told me "Don't become an alcoholic and don't become a diabetic and get your liver enzymes checked each month."

So, don't become diabetic? Losing weight (or maintaining current weight) is the solution.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Low carb -- it cures everything. :wink:
  • Conniebarton12
    Options
    Hello out there I'm 42 year old woman i have been diagnosised with hypothyriod disease that i have battled for some time now, i also suffer with pitted adema no found origin for that but just last week I was gravely ill unable to hold any food down now they say I now have fatty liver disease. HELP LOST ON WHAT TO DO!