Norcal vs Socal?

Options
catshark209
catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
I'd put this in the California Dreams group but I wanted to get more input.
I was talking to someone at work that had moved up here from SoCal and we were comparing the two regions.....being Northern California (Stockton, yo) born and raised, of course its "better" here:wink:
So, discuss!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I used to live in the East Bay, and now I live in So Cal. So Cal is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better. I do NOT miss freezing my *kitten* off all the time and battling traffic and paying bridge tolls.

Reasons why So Cal wins:
    1. weather
    2. population density
    3. cost of living

So Cal FTW all the way.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    <--- this photo was taken in early March. Try that in Nor Cal and you'll die of hypothermia.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Mid-Cal FTW. I'm a day trip to anywhere.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Valley all the way..we give you both food for your bellies.

and inst Stockton bankrupt? that is definitely not better
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in NorCal and I think that NorCal is better :) SoCal is too much desert and too hot in my opinion. Norcal is great because we're just a hop skip and a jump away from snow in the sierras and fun in the sun at the beach :)
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    norcal! I love visiting family in that area!
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I live on the east coast, I'd take ANYWHERE in Cali!!! I love it there!! ETA: But not the job opportunities in my field.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Norcal all the way, baby! :)

But I do like Socal, tooo. Nicer weather!
    Ex: It's pouring rain and cold here in Norcal right now. :(
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I grew up in San Diego and moved to Davis/Sacramento for school and never left.

To me, Nor Cal is WAY better for a variety of reasons:

1. The people aren't as superficial (ironically, most of the people I'm referring to here are non-native SoCal'ers who come to get the "SD/LA" lifestyle and are basically a bunch of D-bags and princesses - sorry, but it's true).

2. You have the mountains so close, tons of outdoor recreation up here, Tahoe, etc.

3. You're closer to San Francisco and all the amazing northern areas (Mendocino, the redwoods, etc).

4. People are way more environmentally friendly.

5. The traffic is WAY less than it is down south.

6. There are actual SEASONS up here.

7. People don't drive like complete morons when it rains up here (in SD, a little sprinkle from the sky and you'd think everyone just got their learner's permits).

8. Cost of living is more affordable in Sacramento than in San Diego.

My one concession about NorCal is this ridiculous use of the word "Hella" or "Hecka" and the refusal to use the word "the" before referring to any highway (i.e. "I'm going to take THE 5 to downtown" versus "Take I-5 to downtown"). I still use the word "the" all the time.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    California....loves to party.....
    I'd say Socal, born and raised so yea I'm biased. I love the desert, travel through it, camp it in, off road in it...you name it.
    I have the beach, mountains and desert all less than an hour away from me and all usable at anytime of the year. Yes I go to the desert when it's 110 in the shade.
    I do like Norcal or Midcal for the scenery and National Park stuff.

Oh and can we have more water? Thanks! :bigsmile:
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Central valley baby!!!!
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    I'm a NorCal Girl all the way. BUT the things that make NorCal so wonderful (in MY opinion) are being lost with the influx of transplants. Growing up here (4th generation, I might add), it was very laid back. The overall pace was slower, the natural beauty incredible, the people very friendly (in general) & down to earth. Materialism, traffic, greed, etc. was not generally associated with NorCal. A lot of people have moved here from the East Coast (and I hate to say it... from SoCal), and brought their fast pased culture with them. As I look around, I see a ton more flashy SUVs, high priced department stores and higher priced botiques popping up. People are angry, competetive, greedy. Houses are getting bigger to fill up the entire lot - and some. In the old days, I saw little homes with big gardens.

At work - I am with the public daily. I always make small talk and ask people how long they've lived here. I swear it (not at all an exaggeration) I will get 1-2 people in an 8 hour work day that was born and raised here. Literally most everyone is from Boston, New York, New Jersey, LA, or San Diego (and a few other places - a lot from Wisconson for some reason! lol). The NorCal folks all moved up to Oregon, Washington, and Hawaii - searching for their NorCal of old.

No one's pushing us out! I love it here... 15 mins to San Francisco. 15 mins. to Redwood Trees & National & State Parks. 25 mins. to the beach. Mild weather. I might be the only one on my block driving a 15 year old compact car, living in a little home with a big ole wild garden... but I love it! :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    <--- this photo was taken in early March. Try that in Nor Cal and you'll die of hypothermia.

San Francisco had a 75 degree day in March.

NorCal wins for it's lack of famewhores, technical innovation, lush forests and its WATER for which SoCal can be forever grateful that we are still (unfortunately) one state,
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    Hey we have Big Bear. That's kind of like Tahoe :noway: :blushing: No, I know Nor Cal is where it's at for snow, but I spent 15 years living in Tahoe, so I haven't been away long enoug to miss the snow.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    No longer living in CA....but it seems to me...that MidCal is best...Beautiful weather..centrally located...surrounded by mountains..who could ask for more?
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    <
    Born and raised in Nor Cal and love it. But honestly, I love all of Cali. What a diverse state we have. Husband is from Mass and wouldn't dream of going back. :bigsmile:

@ Lucky Leprechan...it was 76 degrees up here in early March. :happy:

@ Timmay...right now we are working on making more water for you guys to buy. :wink:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Split the state and there are still FAR TOO MANY ASSHATS in Cali per capita. And to make it worse, y'all procreate more.

I was born in raised in SoCal...spent time in the "NorCal" (I like how y'all came up with that because SoCal was more unique). Needless to say...Cali sucks in general.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    uh...no brainer...so cal is where its at!! we have beaches, mountains, city, desert, all rolled into one compact area!!! Plus the weather is WAY better and might I add the people are gorgeous! LOL!
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    Born and Raised in Central Valley (Fresno/Selma), did a stint in SoCal, been in Nor Cal for 10+ years. So Cal FTW!
  • nessaryan
    nessaryan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    From So Cal and moved to Nor Cal for college. Love the people in Nor Cal, love the weather in So Cal. ;)

My family is still in So Cal but I consider myself a Nor Cal girl now. I've lived here for 8 years on my own!