Are personal trainers cost prohibitive ??

Options
IMHO if they charged less they could be a lot busier. I have no clue how much the gym pays them but the gym charges a lot more than I make.

Discuss.

Replies

• zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Personal trainers typically pay the gym to work there. They are contractors who "rent" space in the gym for some exclusivity.
    This is either done by monthly rent paid to the gym or by the gym taking a cut of their fees earned.

They do not make a lot of money unless they run their own gym or consult on the side.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with the trainers @ my gym (LA fitness) they think I should be lifting lighter with a lot more reps because I am a female, they think I am going to hurt myself. So even if they lowered their rates I wouldn't do it.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    That is why it is better to try and find one who works independent of a big gym. It's difficult, but they are out there.

I used to take a pilates reformer class in a small independent studio. The instructor also did personal training. I hired her for PT once a week for a few months. Very productive for me, but just too much cost. I believe she charged $45 per session. Still rather high, but cheaper than the ones at my gym.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Finding a good one would be a very good investment. Unfortunately, good ones are hard to find.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    IMHO if they charged less they could be a lot busier. I have no clue how much the gym pays them but the gym charges a lot more than I make.

Discuss.

The trainers at my gym are self employed for their training hours. I'm not sure if they pay the gym to use the facility or not (as contractors), but I do know that random trainers are not allowed to just show up and train people (someone has to carry liability insurance). I guess they are only cost prohibitive to those of us who can't afford them, LOL.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    it's a lose-lose situation for the clients and the trainers, the only one making money is the gym.

They don't make a lot but they still have to charge a lot more than the average person makes in the same 1/2 hour.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Finding a good one would be a very good investment. Unfortunately, good ones are hard to find.

This. I recently finished a10 session training package at my gym. While I don't feel it was a complete waste of money since he helped me get up and start moving again and lifting weights, I def don't feel like he did his part to help me work towards my true goals.

If I could find a good PT that I know would help me lose the weight and tone up in a reasonable amount of time (3-4 months), I wouldn't mind the investment.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would love to be rich enough to hire a personal trainer. We have a small (unconventional) gym here and the trainer seems to be really good. $100/hr is understandable considering downtown rent etc. but unfortunately not something I can afford.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have had a personal trainer the last 3 months. At first they were full sessions (Christmas bonus money) and then I cut back to half sessions, but sometimes he works me out longer. I need to re-up and I'm stressing out how to pay for it. It's worth it to me right now because I really am seeing results I wouldn't otherwise be making "muscle tone-wise," but it really is a lot and I could be putting that money elsewhere. Right now I'm worth the investment I think, but I may have to cut back to once per week, and eventually not at all. Makes me sad... love my training sessions.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer,

This isn't for everyone.

On my first attempt at getting down to my goal weight, I lost 80 lbs and regained a lot of strength, I used an on line trainer. Now if you need that person physically there talking to you, in your face, and pushing you, this won't work. I just needed the assistance of getting workouts put together and someone to be responsible to. The cost was not all that much.

Why am I not doing that again you might ask. First, my trainer has left the market and is working with her husband in their dojo. Second, I am following all the things she taught me to do in the first place and I am using MFP as a way to be responsible to someone....well many someones.

It is worth a look if $$$ is an issue.
  • nikki_1979
    Options
    I've looked for an independent one, but apparently they don't have any around here. They also tend to be reluctant to work with morbidly obese (especially super-obese) people. I would gratefully pay $100 per hour just to give me the incentive for working out and to show me what to do because honestly.... I am clueless what to do for exercise. I think that is one of the major advantages is learning a program for yourself.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I got lucky. A friend introduced me to a trainer who has been wrestling, fighting, training for over 30 years and he opened his own training place. He trains mixed martial arts fighters and decided to do a "class" for women and people who weren't in that great of shape and were uncomfortable going to a gym. I was really intimidated at first and now I LOVE IT. He charges $10 a session which range from 1 to 1 1/2 hours each and I work my *kitten* off let me tell you. It is hard to find a good trainer. I tried the gym one and he was so busy checking out the "cute chicks" that after my free sessions I didn't bother to go back. Good Luck. Maybe ask around and you might find someone or try the online one that someone else suggested or do a DVD if you are self-motivated.
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have had personal trainers in the past. It's about what YOU can afford. Right now I do a bootcamp ran by one of my gym's personal trainers. It's twice a week and at most only 3 ppl show up. So look into group training because it tends to be less than the one on one training. Another alternative is if your gym offers fitness or workout plans. My old gym used to offer this for like $60 bucks but they would update the plan every month for you and record your progress (weight and measurements).I think the $60 covered 3 months.
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Most trainers in my experience are just stepping stones to learning how to use gym equipment and the friend you cannot find to work out with.

All trainers are not equal, ask them what they specialize in. My gyms has both a bodybuilder that I see and a bodyweight trainer, as well as many others. Ask what fitness achievements they have, if they have none, move on to someone else. Finally ask yourself what do you want to do with your fitness? If you want to be fit but have no path you are running in a circle. If you want to run, find a marathoner, if you want to cycle, find a centurion, if you want to get on stage, find a bodybuilder. Etc.

When you do find a high end trainer, they can help you through plateaus, and fine tune what you are doing to reach your fitness goals. These are rare sometimes only 1 or 2 to a gym. Most trainers there have to deal with the ever prevalent I want to lose weight, so they are trained to basically get people moving.
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    My wife is a personal trainer (www.cranfordfitness.com) and she doesn't work at a gym. She specializes in training people at their homes (or our home if they prefer). Her rates are on her website and I think she is rather affordable plus you don't have to pay for a gym membership. Also, in this tough economy she has been giving clients STEEP discounts so people are getting packages for far less than her posted rates. One of her clients has lost about 70lbs in about 8 months. Too bad I refuse to let her train me! Can you say huge fight? Haha
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    I've looked for an independent one, but apparently they don't have any around here. They also tend to be reluctant to work with morbidly obese (especially super-obese) people. I would gratefully pay $100 per hour just to give me the incentive for working out and to show me what to do because honestly.... I am clueless what to do for exercise. I think that is one of the major advantages is learning a program for yourself.

I hate to read this! My wife is a PT and charges much less than that and has no problem working with morbidly obese people. It's part of her job!
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My gym the personal trainer costs more then my membership for a year. It is double the membership. I really believe it is a novelty for the rich. I asked if I wanted to buy training for one month only how much would I pay. I said I want to train in April 2x a week a total of 8 sessions how much can I pay no contract no obligation she tried to sell me a 796.00 package..told her sorry ..
  • sbcass
    sbcass Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I have had a trainer for over a year now and have lost almost 100 pounds. I am 5'2" and was 344.6 when I started. My trainer does work at a private gym so the price isn't as expensive. I do pay monthly and the average cost for year's worth of sessions (3x a week) is about $22.00. My sessions are an average of 45-55 mins.

We just renewed our contract for another year. If you can find a good trainer and have the funds to hire one, go for it!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This is a difficult situation. To us, they are charging us the shirts off our backs, to them, they are barely getting by. It's one of those BS situations. And, no. I had a business in the service industry, a lower price does not = more business. All it does is have you working more for less. It's not better but worse. Sure, you might pick up a few extra clients, but with those few extra, you might still be making less than you were at the market rate. it's a tough gig for everyone.