Quinoa

Options
nursenikki829
nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
I am taking my first stab at cooking with quinoa tonight..... I will be making a healthy Quinoa Mac and Cheese... I will let you know how it goes over with the family! Has anybody else experimented with quinoa? I would love some new recipe suggestions!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i love Quinoa , but usualy just have it instead of rice :smile:
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    if it is not the "no rinse" variety...be sure and rinse. it can be bitter if you don't. my family will eat it...they don't love it. i am the cook and they eat what i make :) good luck!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I did get the no- rinse kind, thanks for the tip!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I seen that recipe on Pinterest. I have had it as a salad with fresh tomato, broccoli, peppers, onions, celery and black olives. The dressing was a lemon vinegarette. As a side dish instead of rice (cooked in a little broth) and in chicken soup instead of noodles. Delish.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I made quinoa last night! I sauteed half an onion an a couple small carrots (both diced) in olive oil until the onion was softened. Then I added 1 cup of quinoa, 2 cups of chicken broth, and a dash of hot sauce. Once the quinoa was cooked, I added diced yellow bell pepper, orange segments, and diced cilantro. I then added sliced grilled chicken breast over the quinoa salad for dinner. Delicious--I just finished the leftovers for lunch!
  • clarkehe
    clarkehe Posts: 3
    Options
    A yummy Greek Quinoa Salad - sorry I don't know the calorie count:

375 ml (1 1/2 cups) quinoa
    750 ml (3 cups) vegetable broth
    1 container grape tomatoes, halved
    1 sweet yellow pepper, chopped
    125 ml (1/2 cup) English cucumber, chopped
    50 ml (1/4 cup) flat-leaf parsley, chopped
    50 ml (1/4 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
    45 ml (3 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
    1 large clove garlic, minced
    Salt, to taste
    Crumbled feta cheese, for garnish

Place quinoa in fine mesh sieve and rinse well under running water; drain and set aside.

In a medium pot, bring vegetable broth to a boil and add quinoa. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Fluff with fork into a large bowl.

Add tomatoes, pepper, cucumber and parsley.

In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar and garlic. Drizzle over quinoa and vegetables. Season with salt and sprinkle with feta cheese.

Makes 4 servings.
  • clarkehe
    clarkehe Posts: 3
    Options
    PS - cook your quinoa in a rice cooker if you have one - much easier and often better results.