BMR

Options
So..MFP says my BMR is 1271 calories/day
The problem is I don't really know what this means :laugh:
Should I eat that amount? or more calories? or less calories? in order to lose weight
I'm such an ignorant I know :indifferent::embarassed:

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is the estimated number of calories you'd need if you spent the day obeying the laws of physics and remaining inert.

To account for normal daily activity there is (among others) the Harris Benedict equation which is a factor you use to multiply your BMR by based on activity level (anywhere from 1.2 for sedentary to 1.9 for very active) which would give you your maintenance number (neither gaining or losing weight).

In order to lose weight (fat) you can take your maintenance number and create a deficit (eg if you want to lose 1lb per week a deficit of 500 cals daily will do the job) . I've also seen caloric estimates that are based on your target weight maintenance number less a smaller deficit. MFP gives you a "net calories" number based on the level of activity you set so that you can (and in many cases should) eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So I have to lower a bit my maintenance number in order to lose weight, am I right?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,604 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. I'm kind of a moron sometimes. :smile:

Why can't we delete posts?! Oy!