Good Measuring Tips/Advice

Options
maf66
maf66 Posts: 211 Member
Who has good tips to share on saving time/steps when measuring/weighing/entering food?

I have 2 I'd like to share. First is when I buy a block of cream cheese, I cut it into 8 equal sections so that I know each section is 2Tbs. Only eat a half section? That's 1Tbsp!

Second is I took an old notebook, and I tape or staple the nutrition info from the package into it. I keep it separated by food groups and even write things from the mfr or usda websites. I keep it by the computer so that I can check the accuracy of info entered and make changes if necessary or even a new entry.

So, what are your own little tricks and tips?

Replies

• maf66
    Options
    Perhaps I should have put a question mark in the title....
  • maf66
    Options
    Or maybe my title wasn't sexy enough....
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I like your notebook idea - might just have to start using that!
  • emchln66
    emchln66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    love your picture .. what I do to save time
    is I buy cooked chickens and measure 4 oz and freeze
    and I also cook all my whole wheat pasta and rice and measure half cups and freeze as well
  • SarahLee10
    SarahLee10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    These are really great tips. I like the notebook idea. Thanks for sharing. I unfortunately do not have any nifty tricks to share.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I figure out my calroies on the lables and then just enter the meal as quick calories it takes soo much less time that way
  • maf66
    Options
    A lot of times I figure out my calroies on the lables and then just enter the meal as quick calories it takes soo much less time that way

But don't you think counting fat, fiber and protein are important?
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Who has good tips to share on saving time/steps when measuring/weighing/entering food?

I have 2 I'd like to share. First is when I buy a block of cream cheese, I cut it into 8 equal sections so that I know each section is 2Tbs. Only eat a half section? That's 1Tbsp!

Second is I took an old notebook, and I tape or staple the nutrition info from the package into it. I keep it separated by food groups and even write things from the mfr or usda websites. I keep it by the computer so that I can check the accuracy of info entered and make changes if necessary or even a new entry.

So, what are your own little tricks and tips?

good ideas. im jotting stuff down too but i think im going to start keeping the nutritional info from packages..and great idea about cutting food into sections. if freezing meals too right the cals value with sharpie on the box/bag so you know what you will be having next.
  • maf66
    Options
    and I also cook all my whole wheat pasta and rice and measure half cups and freeze as well

How is the pasta after freezing? Is it mushy?
  • hazev74
    Options

oooh nice tip about the measuring pasta! think ill do that next in little lunch bags! thanks!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Those are good tips- really like the notebook idea and will have to do that! My best is to prep and individually portion as soon as i get home from the store. Lots of 1/4 and 1/2 cup Tupperware and snack-size baggies makes it easy to grab something.

More importantly, what kind of dog is that? Looks an awful lot like my Akbash!
  • hazev74
    Options

How is the pasta after freezing? Is it mushy?

i dont think id freeze the pasta/rice, just keep it in little zip lock bags seperate.
  • maf66
    Options
    Those are good tips- really like the notebook idea and will have to do that! My best is to prep and individually portion as soon as i get home from the store. Lots of 1/4 and 1/2 cup Tupperware and snack-size baggies makes it easy to grab something.

Thats one of my Great Pyrenees dogs, I have two and they're cousins, I believe! *(spelling)
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a #40 cookie scoop that (when level) is one tablespoon. I use that for measuring peanut butter, hummus, sour cream, etc.

41AGX933A3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • maf66
    Options
    Another one is I use PAM or Olive Oil spray to coat my measuring utensils so things like honey and PB don't stick.
  • emchln66
    emchln66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    no not at all .. I do use whole wheat pasta and its always ok
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Thats one of my Great Pyrenees dogs, I have two and they're cousins, I believe! *(spelling)

Knew it! The Akbash is a Turkish livestock guardian, so they are indeed cousins. I've owned Akbash, Anatolians and Kuvasz but haven't had the pleasure of a Pyr ... Someday!