Nutri Systems

Options
Has anyone tried Nutri Systems? Does it work??

Replies

• now_or_never2012
    Options
    It works for portion control for sure. Easy meals but also VERY processed! And VERY expensive.

My mom and I looked into it however it is incredibly expensive for what you get. I tried a friends meal once and it was absolutely disgusting! Extremely processed and you can make the same things yourself with a bit of time and effort.

I solely believe it hurts more than helps since you can't eat those things forever and you aren't learning anything with this plan.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It works because you will be eating at a calorie deficit. Any "meal plan" will do the exact same thing.

If you set up MFP, it will give you the calories to eat per day that will also be putting you in a calorie deficit. I would suggest starting with MFP since it is free and you will be learning how to eat real food. You will have to learn this at some point in your life, you may as well start now. If not, you'll just have to learn after you decide to stop Nutrisystem or whatever other diet/meal plan.
  • BelMckenzie
    BelMckenzie Posts: 249
    Options
    My ex did it awhile back (3 -4 years ago). He ordered 2 months worth of food. He stuck with it for a month and saw results but the food is disgusting. I tried a few of the meals before I was going to order it and I am glad I did that before ordering since I won't be able to eat that food. What good is it to lose weight eating food you hate, it is only discouraging at least it was to me.
  • blueboomer27
    Options
    I have been on Nutri Systems for 70 days and I have to admit that I REALLY like it. I admit that the food is processed, but I think that the things that I like are very tasty and honesyly havent had a bad meal yet. The portion control is great and I love the structure. As far as the cost it is about $12 per day plus veggies and extras. I would spend that on lunch alone some days. For me NS and MFP have been instrumental in my 40+ pound weight loss. I do eat out 1-2 dinners a week, but because of what I have learned I am making much better choices.
  • mgravenhorst
    mgravenhorst Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am on NS and in 5 months I have lost 37 pounds. I am older and have tried many times to lose on other programs. This one is successful. You have to follow the program and you learn how important portion control is, drinking 8 or more glasses of water a day, and eating veggies. The food is not disgusting and the program does teach you how to eat correctly as it is a lifestyle change. It is not cheap, no weight loss program is but I sat down and figured out that I eating out and fast food is just as expensive and in the long run I have saved money. My husband is not on the program and is mirroring my efforts and has lost 24 pounds. If you are serious about losing weight, I would recommend NS as it works for me and many others I have met through NS. Good-luck.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I used Nutrisystem several years ago and yes I did drop a bunch of weight. I liked some of the food, some not so much. Did I gain it all back? Ya you bet I did. I will never pay for another "program" again. I'm all for whatever helps you lose but realize that you need to be prepared to maintain. Maintenance is just as hard as losing. Just ask anyone who has regained. If you can use the nutrisystem tools to learn portion control and good eating habits and take that away with you for the rest of your life then go for it. Otherwise learn for free and save your money.
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I've been on NS for just under three months and have lost 24.5 pounds. I love the program. It's not for everyone, but it works well for me. In addition to portion control so you eat at a deficit, it's also comprised of foods that are low on the glycemic index. My body responds well to the program and I'm very pleased with my progress. I'm on the program where you can order as much of the frozen food as you want (there are different programs you can sign up for--no frozen, partially frozen, or mix it up as you like between frozen and non-frozen foods). There are some entrees I would say are "disgusting," but you learn quickly what you like and what you don't. Some of the foods are absolutely delicious (like the cinnamon roll I just ate!). People say it's "really expensive" but between the many discounts you can get depending upon what promotions they're running when you sign up and purchasing NS gift cards from Costco, for me it comes to $6 per day for the NS foods when the Costco gift cards are on sale and about $9 a day if I purchase them at their regular price. There are also NS programs where you can flex weekends or dinners so you can cook some of your own meals if that's what you prefer.

If you're interested in learning more, there are a number of NS groups here on MFP. A lot of us moved here when NS shut down the message board on their site. Just PM me and I can help you find them. I lead one of them, and you'd be welcome to talk with our group to answer your questions. Also, if you decided to sign up, I can send you a $30 off coupon to use your first month.

The program isn't for everyone, but it works for people who stick to the program. I've never been successful at calorie counting, but between the portion control on NS and tracking my calories on MFP, I'm confident I'll keep the weight off once I lose it. Like any program, if you stop following the basic guidelines of the program once you reach goal weight, of course you'll gain the weight back. You need to make a lifestyle change. For some, that's a program like NS or WW and for others it simply calorie counting on MFP. Whatever works for you is a good thing. :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you can do the same thing with MFP...just log accurately and consistently...and the food doesn't look like this...

qpg53r6wj7uy.jpg
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    you can do the same thing with MFP...just log accurately and consistently...and the food doesn't look like this...

qpg53r6wj7uy.jpg

That's a meal from 10 years ago. LOL. The frozen food looks much better and I'm sure tastes better than the food from 10 years ago. I wouldn't be able to stay on the program if that's what my meals looked like!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I tried it 2 or 3 years ago. I did lose weight, but it was the most disgusting food I had ever had...it made Chef Boyardee Ravioli seem "gourmet."

It was very expensive and just gross. I bet you would save money and definitely have better tasting food if you just picked out a bunch of Lean Cuisines / Healthy Choice / Smart Ones meals from the supermarket. I've had several of them and they are really not bad (for the most part.)
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Way back in 07 I ordered Nutrisystem. You eat their meals & add in your own fresh foods & snacks. It's great for learning portion control & spacing out your meals.

After 2 weeks, I cancelled my auto-order and built my own menu using frozen foods, soups & MFP to build a menu that matched their entrees' nutrition labels to the decimal point.

It's a great program, but fairly easy to do on your own. You used to be able to go to their website & look at the nutritional labels even if you didn't have an order with them, but I imagine they closed that loophole years ago.

Seems to me that their business model has evolved to help you lose some weight, but not too quickly, so that you keep ordering their food month after month after month
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    BeesmaMFP wrote: »

qpg53r6wj7uy.jpg

That's a meal from 10 years ago. LOL. The frozen food looks much better and I'm sure tastes better than the food from 10 years ago. I wouldn't be able to stay on the program if that's what my meals looked like!

Well here is 2015 food doesn't look much different

s30yg2wcvro1.png

Now this is crap food...*shivers*
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options

qpg53r6wj7uy.jpg

s30yg2wcvro1.png

I agree that's disgusting, but my food looks nothing like that. If I remember to, I'll take a pic of my dinner this evening and post it. I don't even know what entree that is you posted--I've had nothing that looks like that!
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    Forgot to take a photo of last night's dinner before adding veggies and additional protein to it, so took a photo of the NS portion of my breakfast (also had fresh pineapple and a latte). This is one of the frozen meals--just popped in the microwave fro 20 seconds. It's quite good. :)

5kw8c5id09ck.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    debwilson wrote: »

It does. I've known several people who have lost weight on Nutri Systems. Some a significant amount of weight.

Only one of those people has kept it off long term. The problem is that most people don't want to spend the money to keep on the plan long term, and when they go off the plan, they go back to old eating habits instead of sticking with the portions they were getting on the plan.

So, it may be a good plan for you or it may not. If you do try it, learn from it. Pay attention to what your eating and in what portions and apply that knowledge once you go back to procuring your own food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

qpg53r6wj7uy.jpg

s30yg2wcvro1.png

That doesn't look bad to me. Looks like spaghetti with some type of tomato meat sauce.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

qpg53r6wj7uy.jpg

s30yg2wcvro1.png

That doesn't look bad to me. Looks like spaghetti with some type of tomato meat sauce.

I agree, doesn't actually look bad. Big pet peeve of mine is when people must comment that a specific food is "disgusting". Like a child.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Nutrisystem works because of portion control but the food is gross. Do the same thing with MFP for free and eat your normal everyday food, just portion it out and stay within your limit.
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    debwilson wrote: »

It does. I've known several people who have lost weight on Nutri Systems. Some a significant amount of weight.

Only one of those people has kept it off long term. The problem is that most people don't want to spend the money to keep on the plan long term, and when they go off the plan, they go back to old eating habits instead of sticking with the portions they were getting on the plan.

So, it may be a good plan for you or it may not. If you do try it, learn from it. Pay attention to what your eating and in what portions and apply that knowledge once you go back to procuring your own food.

Precisely. No plan is magic--once you reach goal, you can't just go back to eating the way you did that got you to the point of needing the plan without gaining.
  • BeesmaMFP
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Nutrisystem works because of portion control but the food is gross. Do the same thing with MFP for free and eat your normal everyday food, just portion it out and stay within your limit.

Taste in food is subjective. I find most of the NS food to be pretty good. Much better than Lean Cuisine. It's easy to tell someone to simply count calories and watch their portions, but that's not easy for everyone to do and some need help from a plan like NS. Nothing wrong with that.