The Household's "diet"

Options
jaxbeck
jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
Since you have begun eating healthier, has your entire household?

My family of course is not on the same eating regime that I am on but I have made some changes. I used to provide an endless supply of snacks like little snackcakes, crackers, cookies etc. Since rethinking our family's health I decided there was no reason they should have these things on a regular basis! I've since replaced their "snacks" with fresh fruit, fresh veggies, yogurt, nuts & cheese. Surprisingly they haven't complained & they love it!

Now if I can get hubby on board :grumble:

Replies

• nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    About a month ago I told my boyfriend (we don't live together, but we do spend a lot of time together) that I was going to start eating healthier. When not eating with him I woud always make something, but when eating with him we always went out to eat, which made it difficult to choose healthy things to eat, and even harder since he wasn't trying to eat healthy at all.

Well, recently he decided that he also wanted to get healthier and lose some weight. Over the weekend we bought a lot of healthy foods and are now cooking our dinner every night instead of going out to eat. Our dinners are now much healthier and cheaper (and still delicious!), and we get to spend some quality time together cooking.

Good for you for helping change your family's diet. I'm sure your husband will come around eventually when he sees how happy and healthy the rest of you are.
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    That's great! I am hoping hubs will come onboard soon, he really needs to!
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    I'm the shopper, so if I dont buy it no one can eat it. LOL :) My husband complained for a long time but now that he isnt used to having that stuff around I dont hear much about it...
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yes, they have all gotten healthier along with me. My husband has heart disease so he's always tried to eat healthy but my new shopping and cooking habits are defintiely benefiting his waist;line too. And the kids eat what we eat for their main meals so they also benefit. I still buy them some snacks and stuff, of course, but I try to stick to things I don't like so I won't be tempted (like goldfish, anything with peanut butter in it, etc).
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as the OP. I do most of the shopping so by default everyone eats better. I still keep some "treats" in the house but they're treats, not staple parts of the diet and we have far fewer of them around. I'm fortunate that my husband is absolutely on board with eating more whole foods and our little boys don't have much of a say in the matter ;) they give a thumb's up to most of it except the spinach. Hehe!

I think if we had teenagers and I suddenly overhauled the cabinets I might have mutiny. So my sympathies go out to those in that boat.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Nope, but it's just me and my fiancé currently, so we live and eat our way (and he does all the cooking). By the time we start a family, I'll be the one cooking and serving the food and I'll be doing it my way, but I've been thinking a lot about this over the past year and I think I've worked out ways I can get the healthy food in without my fiancé getting too upset about having to eat what I serve.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest to get the rest of my house to eat healthier. I'm lucky that the kids will try new things, even if it is just a bite. I usually cook so if I make it, its healthy....I can not however stop my husband from eating a whole loaf of Italian bread or what the kids eat outside of the house.

My husband is tough though, when I'm getting chocolate covered strawberries delivered to my job with a note saying "sabatoge is sweet" welllll that is a whole other topic! :)
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    I'm the shopper, so if I dont buy it no one can eat it. LOL :) My husband complained for a long time but now that he isnt used to having that stuff around I dont hear much about it...

Right! There is only healthy food in the house other than the items I buy for our big Sunday dinners but hubs works on the road all day & eats JUNK!
  • jaxbeck
    Options

My husband is tough though, when I'm getting chocolate covered strawberries delivered to my job with a note saying "sabatoge is sweet" welllll that is a whole other topic! :)

OMG! Meanie!!! lol