Weight Training question

Options
2»

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    It was cross country, so like 5 miles a day that was out of my comfort zone. And I didn't gain fat because I had somewhat of a belly before and that got more toned. My legs were sore every day, so there was muscle being gained. It might've been more like 6 weeks.
    Oh yeah, 9 lbs of lean muscle mass over 6 weeks....from running. Totally believable. Let me guess, you were probably eating a calorie deficit then too?
    Well. . . it's not impossible. Hill repeats will build legs definitely. But without a before and after BMI analysis. . . one can only make general claims.

Or to put it another way running is hard otherwise more people would do it.
  • EricDe90x
    EricDe90x Posts: 51
    Options
    It was cross country, so like 5 miles a day that was out of my comfort zone. And I didn't gain fat because I had somewhat of a belly before and that got more toned. My legs were sore every day, so there was muscle being gained. It might've been more like 6 weeks.
    Oh yeah, 9 lbs of lean muscle mass over 6 weeks....from running. Totally believable. Let me guess, you were probably eating a calorie deficit then too?
    Well. . . it's not impossible. Hill repeats will build legs definitely. But without a before and after BMI analysis. . . one can only make general claims.

Or to put it another way running is hard otherwise more people would do it.
    Exactly. I was 9 pounds heavier plus it appeared I had lost abdominal fat. It is actually really hard to run 5 miles a day for 4 days, then do hill repeats, then sprint repeats. Everyone on the team were surprised when they gained over 5lbs after about a month.
    Plus, I was doing barely any exercise before that, so I couldn't plateau. I got the most out of the workouts.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    op. the thing with weight training is you want to progressive overload every time you go to the gym. if you change your routine often you wont be able to track a liner progression path. that doesn't mean don't ever change it. but take your progression path into consideration.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for around 8 weeks now, i have upped the weight and the trainer added a few more exercises, I just wasn't sure if I should be changing anything.

No. You are fine.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    After running for a month, I gained 9 lbs of muscle.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
    Utter nonsense.
    I switch off every 3 weeks for muscle confusion purposes in P90X. I think 6-8 weeks is when you should definitely switch.

The fitness industry has a financial interest in convincing you that you need "muscle confusion." You continually line their pockets to come up with new workouts. Thing is, grinding it out at the basics has worked better for decades, and it still does.