being forced to work out

Options
2»

Replies

• ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    A workout buddy that calls us out on our slacking is a good thing!

I used to identify with being "not a runner" and had all sorts of explainations for why I wasn't. But I let myself get peer-pressured by a friend and we started jogging together. Over time all my reasons were proved wrong. And I started to feel good about being able to jog/run. It was a mind thing. There were so many times that I wanted to call off a workout but didn't. And only didn't because of my friend - knowing she'd give my grief for trying to bail and leaving her to do the workout alone.

Its goofy that I still don't 'like' running, but do enjoy how I feel after sticking with it for awhile. It really is a mind thing. Give something a solid chance with an open mind and see how you feel about it after.

I don't run regularily anymore since there are other workouts I like better, but having put 100% into training for a 5k, and then a half-marathon I learned things about myself and my body that I never would have.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about leaving your comfort zone. Try it out. If you don't like it, don't do it again. But you'll never know until you do it. I used to hate riding my bike anywhere but around the block. Now, my favorite 10 minute exercise? Hauling *kitten* uphill on my bike and speeding back down, backcycling. I thought i would hate it, but i'm in love.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    though i still felt very self conscience. i think im just gona get the zumba for the wii. then wen i feel a bit better about myself ill go back to the class.

I think this sounds like the real issue. Do you want to avoid these activities because you don't enjoy them or because you are scared/self-concious to try them?

Exercise is a huge boost. Endorphins, sense of accomplishment, positive changes in your body/mental state. It might be hard or awkward at first, but it gets easier everytime. Don't let your mind get in the way of your muscle. Besides, how do you know if something is "pointless" or unenjoyable if you haven't tried it? Life is too short. If you put yourself out there a little, you might find something you're passionate about. Everyone starts somewhere.

If nothing else, it's time spent with your sister. Being that mine lives 4 states away, I'd love to be "forced" to do things like that with her.