MUSHROOMS!!! Got any favorite recipies?

Options
mamagooskie
mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
I went to the store today and got a HUGE bag of mushrooms on sale for 6$ and now I just need to find ways to use em up.

I made a cream sauce today using tofu and canned mushroom gravy, I sauteed onion, garlic and 6 cups of mushrooms in oil till it all shrunk down and added the sauce in, with 3 cups of pasta and that's dinner tonight.

I still have sooooo many left and I'm looking for ideas, so if you have a family favorite I would appreciate hearing about it!!

THANKS!!

Replies

• sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who does mushrooms in replacement of meat for fajitas. She made them for me one time and it was delicious! I put them in bean soup and spaghetti, anything i can. ;)
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    I have a friend who does mushrooms in replacement of meat for fajitas. She made them for me one time and it was delicious! I put them in bean soup and spaghetti, anything i can. ;)

I might have to try to use them instead of meat.....that's a good idea. I'd like to find a way to turn them into a burger or something.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I make a veggie stirfry with mushrooms, onions, zucchini, and whatever else I have laying around. I also get crabmeat and put it into the mushrooms and bake for a bit. you can add cheese, cream cheese, garlic, just about anything. I mix a little garlic, no fat cream cheese, and crab and put it in the mushrooms. :)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on what type of mushrooms they are. I'm assuming that they are white mushrooms. Those I use for sauces when I can't afford or don't have time to prep other kinds. I prefer using portabella or ****aki though..
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    For me, it really depends on what type of mushrooms they are. I'm assuming that they are white mushrooms. Those I use for sauces when I can't afford or don't have time to prep other kinds. I prefer using portabella or ****aki though..
    LOL at having my fungus censored.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

I laughed at that too! MFP finds words to censor where I don't know they exist.

I love mushrooms. Put them in eggs, just saute them with a little olive oil and garlic (and onions and add tomatoes if you want, or perhaps just the sauteed mushrooms with a little bit of sour cream). Stuff them with a spinach and ricotta mixture (but spinach and ricotta mixtures are essentially my weakness), add them to anything. The cream sauce is a great idea. My mom even does a mushroom pot pie which is AMAZING but not exactly diet friendly, largely because it is impossible not to eat the crust off the top (something about the combination of the flaky crust with the heavy, earthy filling...). But enough on that, mushrooms are great.
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    I use mushrooms in almost everything! I can go through a pound of mushrooms in 2 days. I slice them and add them to my scrambled eggs in the morning with diced bell pepper or spinach. Add them to your salad. I like them in a wrap (la tortilla factory tortilla) with turkey, spinach and tomato. Sauteed with olive oil and thyme as a side dish. Add them to sauces, stir frys, sandwiches.....mushrooms are the ultimate filler!
  • mamagooskie
    Options

that is hilarious!!!!! I love seeing what words get censored!!!
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Yes these are just plain ol white mushrooms.....I just couldn't pass up on them, since normally a tiny container like 225 grams is 2-3$ and I got like 10-15X that amount for less than 6$

so now I have to find ways to use em up but I want to try something new and creative.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    this one calls for white button mushrooms and portabella, but it sounds yummy-
    http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Portobello-Mushroom-Stroganoff.aspx
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    bump, I LOVE mushrooms.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Not too healthy but they are amazing in carbonara x
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make a quick and easy Tofu Mushroom Stroganoff. Buy a Stroganoff seasoning packet (usually where the taco seasoning is in the market). Instead of using beef, saute extra firm tofu and mushroom. Then prepare as directed on packet. I use fat free sour cream and put the Stroganoff over brown rice instead of pasta. It quite the crowd pleasing dish. :)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Can you freeze them? You see them in the bags of frozen mixed veggies so you should be able to freeze them.

I made stuffed chicken last night that used them.

Saute 4 oz. Mushrooms, Two Ribs Celery, 1 Medium Onion. When they are tender, remove from heat, stir in a beat egg, T parsley, 2 t Panko, 2 T parmessan, 3/4 c mozzarella. Stuff into Chicken breasts. Put excess filling around the chicken. Then top with a can of tomato soup combined with a half cup water and some basil. BAKE at 350 for about an hour.

It was DELICIOUS! The filling is supposed to stuff 6 chicken breast halves, but I only had 4. So it was 4 servings at 287 calories each. I paired it with Asparagus and Cream of Chicken Rice (I was loooooow on calories and needed the extra from the rice lol). Super Delicious! Tasted very Italian. Mmmmm.... Leftovers for lunch! :-)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love to make mushroom risotto - amazing how rich it can taste without too many calories! In fact, I have my recipe written up somewhere...

Makes 2 servings

Onion x1 or equivalent in shallots (taste better)
    Butter - 10g
    Arborio rice - 150g
    White wine ~3.5 fl.oz
    Garlic - 1 clove
    Vegetable stock - use one cube dissolved, plus extra water on standby if necessary
    Mushrooms - as many as you like! Calories below are for '1 cup' (as a Brit I have no idea how much this is...)
    Freshly ground black pepper

Per serving: 370 calories, 68 carbs, 9 fat, 7 protein, 950 sodium, 5 sugar

Slowly soften the onions in half the butter over a low heat. Add the remaining butter along with the rice, and stir over a higher heat for a few minutes. The rice should be coated and shiny, perhaps slightly coloured.
    Add the wine - enjoy the sizzle! Add the garlic - adding it along with the wetter ingredients means it won't burn. As the wine gets absorbed (it will happen quite quickly!) dissolve the stock cube in the appropriate amount of boiling water, then add to the pot. Add the mushrooms, then leave it all to simmer until the water has been absorbed and it appears to be the right consistency.

Adjust pepper to taste.

Feel free to replace the butter with a lower fat alternative (such as olive oil) - I just love the rich taste the butter lends to the dish. Wine, however, is compulsory!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I love to make mushroom risotto - amazing how rich it can taste without too many calories! In fact, I have my recipe written up somewhere...

Makes 2 servings

Butter - 10g
    Arborio rice - 150g
    White wine ~3.5 fl.oz
    Garlic - 1 clove
    Vegetable stock - use one cube dissolved, plus extra water on standby if necessary
    Mushrooms - as many as you like! Calories below are for '1 cup' (as a Brit I have no idea how much this is...)

Slowly soften the onions in half the butter over a low heat. Add the remaining butter along with the rice, and stir over a higher heat for a few minutes. The rice should be coated and shiny, perhaps slightly coloured.
    Add the wine - enjoy the sizzle! Add the garlic - adding it along with the wetter ingredients means it won't burn. As the wine gets absorbed (it will happen quite quickly!) dissolve the stock cube in the appropriate amount of boiling water, then add to the pot. Add the mushrooms, then leave it all to simmer until the water has been absorbed and it appears to be the right consistency.

Adjust pepper to taste.

Feel free to replace the butter with a lower fat alternative (such as olive oil) - I just love the rich taste the butter lends to the dish. Wine, however, is compulsory!

Sounds great! Quick Q's... Is it the vegetable stock that makes the sodium so high? And, I usually substitute chicken broth for white wine when I cook because I have no idea what makes a good cooking wine. What type of whit wine do you recomend?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I love just stir frying baby bellas and diced onions in a 1/2 tbsp of olive oil then, close to the, end of cooking, dump in a tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and cook for about 1 more minute. Sooo good.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Quick Q's... Is it the vegetable stock that makes the sodium so high? And, I usually substitute chicken broth for white wine when I cook because I have no idea what makes a good cooking wine. What type of whit wine do you recomend?

Yep, the stock cube contributes 900 out of the 950 total per serving!

With regards to wine, it varies really... Sometimes I will buy a bottle of 'cooking' wine, which is basically just the cheapest white I can get hold of, but i'll always make sure it is at least 11%. Made the mistake of buying a cheap wine, then finding out afterwards it was only 5.5% :embarassed: It was vile! The bottle then gets topped up with any leftovers from 'drinking' wine, usually sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio.
    Either way, once you start cooking with it you can lose the subtleties of the different varieties, so I have never really considered the type I use in too much detail. I guess if I had to make a suggestion I would say cheap sauvignon blanc, at least 11%!
  • mamagooskie
    Options

Makes 2 servings

Butter - 10g
    Arborio rice - 150g
    White wine ~3.5 fl.oz
    Garlic - 1 clove

Adjust pepper to taste.

This sounds fantastic!!
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    I love just stir frying baby bellas and diced onions in a 1/2 tbsp of olive oil then, close to the, end of cooking, dump in a tbsp of Worcestershire sauce and cook for about 1 more minute. Sooo good.

sometimes simple is the best....I gotta try this!