Bump
  • nicoleh82
    nicoleh82 Posts: 52
    Options
    excellent info
  • ogypsy0soulo
    ogypsy0soulo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! :) Thanks for sharing, everyone!
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    bump
  • carlisle19
    carlisle19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great to know
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • madbytes
    madbytes Posts: 2
    Options
    VCO is great for your hair and excellent for dry/damaged skin as well but shouldn't necessarily be taken in large quantities as a supplement or as your primary cooking oil. It's almost purely a saturated fat. A single tbsp has 120 calories and 13.5 grams of fat, of which 12.7 are saturated. If a 175 lb person were to follow the advice above and take 4 tbsp daily that would be 480 calories and 44 grams of fat just in their coconut oil usage. That's pretty insane for someone that size. I keep a jar around primarily for hair and skin but do occasionally make a stir fried shrimp dish with it but I use it very sparingly as it can easily double the calories and quadruple the fat content of my otherwise healthy meal.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    great info
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • lifechange12
    lifechange12 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    wow....
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    VCO is great for your hair and excellent for dry/damaged skin as well but shouldn't necessarily be taken in large quantities as a supplement or as your primary cooking oil. It's almost purely a saturated fat. A single tbsp has 120 calories and 13.5 grams of fat, of which 12.7 are saturated. If a 175 lb person were to follow the advice above and take 4 tbsp daily that would be 480 calories and 44 grams of fat just in their coconut oil usage. That's pretty insane for someone that size. I keep a jar around primarily for hair and skin but do occasionally make a stir fried shrimp dish with it but I use it very sparingly as it can easily double the calories and quadruple the fat content of my otherwise healthy meal.

i agree in a sense, the jars i have seen say 1 TBSP 3x a day... for dietary benefits. i think overall health could be achieved with just one TBSP.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump.....helps with psoriasis!
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!!!! Great tips :smile:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    thanks for the list!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Wow.. I'm gonna go get some! Had no idea.. thanks!
  • xMsAlly
    xMsAlly Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use extra virgin coconut oil once in a while to coat my hair before shampooing, to keep it hydrated and protect from the harsh shampoo detergents. Love it!
  • SteaknChez
    SteaknChez Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    my dogs get a tsp twice a day. They love the stuff.
  • KellieNause
    Options
    It's so amazing for hair! My hair is a weird combination of oily at the roots and extremely dry at the ends. I find that using the coconut oil as a deep conditioner once a week has helped bring a perfect balance to my hair. I also use it as a facial moisturizer, again on combination skin. Haven't broken out once and it really evens out my skin tone. It gives you a great glow! I use it for pretty much everything now :)