how do you measure your level of progress?

i know that one should measure their level of progress with taking measurements all over there body and recording their weight etc but we all have something we go on and for me its my bicep size am feeling rather happy its not great for most people but for me its good i barely measure myself but i did today and ive hit the 15 inch mark now :) cold/flex at 15 inch i know aint that great for a 22 year old but starting at 11inch arms i am feeling good 16 is the next goal (and to think i always wanted 14inch arms aha)

so what unusual ways do you keep track of your progress?

just point out i understand you cant just take one measurement and think the rest of your body is fine i also don't just train my arms aha i get on the scales once a week to keep my weight in check and get the tape out once a month usually just for me seeing my legs grow or chest is great but i get really happy when my arms get swole aha

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Officially, just my weight, though I also look at how flat my stomach is looking at the moment. I'm at a border-line weight, where all my weight goes to (and leaves from) my stomach. I'm fairly short, too, so a few pounds really show.

Right now, a couple of pounds is the difference between a flat stomach and looking five months pregnant. This isn't something that works at other weights though.

Oh, and my engagement ring, but I'm only watching that because I'm becoming scared of losing it and don't want to get it re-sized until I absolutely have to. :tongue:
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    I have a pair of dress pants that fit me well at my upper-weight, which I now try on every couple of weeks just to see how big they are in the waist. Is that unusual? :-)

But yes, I also weigh in a few times a week and post it here (my weight chart shows those little fluctuations up and down) and I take my measurements once a month.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    I measure my progress based on the rate my lifts increase, and how awesome I look nekkid.
  • deftanker
    deftanker Posts: 105 Member
    spreadsheets and a fat belt with a bunch of holes poked in it
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    My work trousers, now they're nearly falling off! My previously too tight jeans.
    I finished C25K and have just started B210K, they are my big progress markers :smile:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    When the muffin top is gone, clothes looks "sexier", and I have some definition. Then I know I'm where I wanna be. Then I get fat and start the process all over again. It's fun!
  • Inches and exercise goals. I started couch to 5k and pretty soon I'll start commuting by bicycle to class and doing longer rides. My hope is that I can get a little further and a little stronger each week. I'm trying to quit weighing myself every day and do it once a week, so going by what my body can do makes me feel better than a number on a scale.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    I keep a set of "skinny clothes" that I try on periodically to see how tight/loose they are. :)
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Oh how I'd love to have 15" biceps. To have lost 3.5" on them would be awesome! But that's what I get for having a lot of underarm flab. :(

I don't really measure my progress with anything other than the scale because I'm so overweight that the number on the scale is the only way I'm really going to see it right now. Although I did finally take measurements almost a month ago. Then a few days ago I noticed that my post baby belly flab felt different when I was getting dressed (yes I even grabbed it and jiggled it because it was amusing to me to think that it's shrinking and I could actually notice it). So after talking to a friend I busted out my tape measure and discovered that I'd lost .5" off my hips in 2.5 weeks! It was pretty awesome feeling.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    1. measurements
    2. increases in weight when strength training
    3. average heart rate vs exertion in a workout
    4. average speed on the cardio machine
    5. speed to walk a mile
    6. level of exertion required to walk the rolling hills in my neighborhood to do errands
    7. sprint times/speeds on the rower or elliptical
    8. how clothing fits
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    pounds
    inches
    dress size
    # of minutes I can run
    # of push-ups I can do before dropping to my knees
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    I keep record by how certain clothes fit.
    Take measurements and weigh-in are numbers that freak me out to much, so I try and hold out on recording them for as long as possible. Since I've started my journey, I still haven't weighed myself :x But I have take measurements and I've lost :D

Also I do it by how my boyfriend's arms fit around me too
    He's another objective opinion I have when I get down on myself because I feel like I haven't changed.
  • wow lots of reply's ta peeps ya all awesome :)