2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I started running at age 36. I'm 41 now. I've run 4 full marathons, 7 half marathons... and a bunch of other shorter races. I started the same way..... run a minute, walk a minute, etc. It took a long time before I actually FELT like a runner. I'm not fast - I am pretty much mid-pack. But, anyone can do it - just takes time and persistence.
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    My favorite quote on this..."No matter how slow you run you are still lapping everyone on the couch".

^^ THIS^^
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am in this boat AGAIN. 2007-2009 i was a "runner" (still hated every step but I was doing it anyway), running 3 times a week for 2.5-3.5 miles each time. I stopped exercising and between then and now, gained 40 pounds. :grumble: Recently I started the C25K program to get back into it. Wow! It's been so hard to get back into it. Running just 2 minutes gets me completely winded. I thought it would be an easier transition back than it has been. I am really hoping that it will get easier and I'll be able to run longer segments without feeling like I am going to fall over with a stroke. Maybe I'll even come to love each step and get a "runner's high". Time will tell......
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Google - Jeff Galloway. Follow his walk/run method and you will be running for distance in no time.

This this and this. Starting running the first time, I was able to build up slowly on my own, but after this last baby it was hard going from running 10ks for my normal every day runs to being out of breath at a 4mph walk. So I found the galloway method, and am back to running 5k without issue. Love his method, and still use it when I want to do speed training.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    YES! You can certainly be a runner. I was just the way that you are. In fact, I used every excuse in the book (asthma, knees, etc.). I agree with others that C25K is great. I did it and it helped a lot. ALSO...someone told me when I started that sometimes you just have to MAKE yourself do it. You will not die just because you are tired or it hurts. Sometimes you just have to FORCE yourself to keep going. When it is hard, slow down...but don't stop. Even if it takes you 15 minutes to run a mile and you KNOW you can walk it faster, don't let yourself stop. You can do it!!! Eventually you won't be able to imagine that you couldn't always do it.