i wanna do it but the knees dont.....

Options
I am limited in what I can do to exercise as I need two new knees, no running, high impact, no swimming due to grinding... have the wii fit n that is good, also walking is good but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions that I could try to keep some variety in my routine, can do some gym work but hate it.... please help :smile:

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Bicycle?
  • juliacyp
    juliacyp Posts: 8
    Options
    no room to store one unfortunately..... gonna borrow my friends now and again but still need more.... am lazy by nature n need something to give me the after aerobics feel but without the pain......
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    can you walk? do that step master thing? or high 15 incline treadmill walks.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    when my knees were bothering me I used a gazelle.
  • cortneymau
    Options
    What about shadow boxing? You can sit and do that. Maybe even sit on an aerobic ball for more core workout. I know it gets your heart pumping.
  • juliacyp
    Options
    can walk on the flat, uphill much slower, cant do steep inclines as too much grind and pressure...... used to be very active but struggle now...
  • mick_02
    mick_02 Posts: 27
    Options
    elliptical
  • violetsue
    violetsue Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ripped in30 by Julian Michaels is pretty easy on the knees.
  • jwobbly57
    jwobbly57 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have terrible trouble with my knees and now in my left ankle. I recently bought an armchair pedal exerciser, really good, got it on EBAY for £23.00, I do have a bike but can't get it out of the garage at the moment. I did half an hour on sunday and I had lovely trim ankles and it didn't crunch my knees.

Jenni xx
  • warnerl1
    warnerl1 Posts: 25
    Options
    I like to swim a lot when the weather gets nicer. I just swim laps back and forth and I'm worn out when I get done. I don't know if that's something you would be interested in.
  • juliacyp
    Options
    like the shadow boxing and boxing on wii fit is good as i only have to use my legs if i want to and still get the upper body and use plenty of energy.... will try the ball but may fall off lol...
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When my knees "flare up" from running, I take a break and stick with bicycling or using an elliptical. Not even swimming? You can just use your arms... I once swam laps using only my arms when I was training for a triathlon. Cardio indeed!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    shadow boxing with weights
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you can walk do it. You don't have to break any records, You don't need a gym. get out on the streets or into the countryside, a bit of fresh air helps as well
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    xtrainer, stationary bike and rower at the gym - I busted the meniscus in my knee the day before xmas and these three has been my saviour.....
  • juliacyp
    Options
    what is eliptical? and what is a gazelle?
  • juliacyp
    Options
    what is a gazelle??
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    It's too bad you don't have room for a recumbant exercise bike. They were great when my knees were weaker.

Also, I second the swimming comment: with one of those belts to help hold me up, I could get a great cardio workout using just my arms to swim.
  • juliacyp
    Options
    Thanks guys, some really good ideas here.... thank you for the advice, nice to know others have had similar issues and found a way around it... wish I had joined a year ago before I piled the pounds back on :flowerforyou:
  • cortneymau
    Options
    the ball is hard to keep stabilized but if you start with your feet wider apart that is easier and then as you get stronger you can scoot them in to get a more intense workout.

http://www.mahalo.com/shadowboxing/ ----> kind of a silly video but helpful