Polar WearLink Chest Strap Transmitter stopped working?

Options
Hey guys, I've had a BRAND NEW Polar RS300X since January, but recently started getting erratic readings and today just getting 00 or check wearlink message on the watch. On some occasions it was reading correctly on the machines (checked quickly vs an iphone app- not 100% accurate but has proven accurate enough in the past as a check) intermittently though but not so great on the watch.
I have washed the strap a few times in the washing machine and air dried it... just detergent and no softener. And then given it a rinse after. It's always soaked enough before putting it on and I'm not wearing it any differently to before and it's not loose on me.

Any thoughts suggestions?

Transmitter battery perhaps? - Don't want to have to trek in to town for a few days as am busy but will send a friend if this is as simple as a battery repacement? I use it most days for about 3 hours total time on the transmitter (about 18 hours a week)

Thanks In Advance!

Val

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The strap stretches over time so try tightening it more. That usually takes care of the problems with mine.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's skin tight, almost cutting in... I've only had it since Mid January!
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I've had a BRAND NEW Polar RS300X since January, but recently started getting erratic readings and today just getting 00 or check wearlink message on the watch. On some occasions it was reading correctly on the machines (checked quickly vs an iphone app- not 100% accurate but has proven accurate enough in the past as a check) intermittently though but not so great on the watch.
    I have washed the strap a few times in the washing machine and air dried it... just detergent and no softener. And then given it a rinse after. It's always soaked enough before putting it on and I'm not wearing it any differently to before and it's not loose on me.

Any thoughts suggestions?

Transmitter battery perhaps? - Don't want to have to trek in to town for a few days as am busy but will send a friend if this is as simple as a battery repacement? I use it most days for about 3 hours total time on the transmitter (about 18 hours a week)

Thanks In Advance!

Val

Most likely the battery
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    try a new battery
  • Kim1118
    Kim1118 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've notice that if my cell phone is nearby (like not even in my rear pocket), it doesn't work correctly. So if your iPhone is too close that might be doing it. I have an android phone, but I imagine the interference would be the same.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Do you rinse the strap off after every use?

Do you launder the strap after every 5th [or so] use?

Could be the battery, but I didn't need to change mine for at least a year. Also you could have a bad strap. When my polar starts to show 00, its usually time for a new strap. I have found my straps last just about 1 year. You can get replacements for about $15.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    You aren't sending the actual transmitter through the wash, are you? You should machine-wash the strap, but just rinse off the transmitter by hand. The washing machine is pretty rough and tumble for the transmitter....

Also, make sure you are getting a good connection to your skin, no fabric between the sensors and your skin, and moisten the sensors well when you put it on.

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Rinsed after every use,
    Washed in washing machine once a week
    Never washed the actual transmitter
    Air dried, Transmitter stored separate to belt/strap
    Good contact, no fabric in way, not loose, thoroughly moistened under tap on fabric sensors
    Not too near iPhone and tried away from iPhone although worked fine before next to iPhone
    Had since middle of January - 2 and a half months... been worn for about 18-20 hours per week 200 hours ish???

Guess I'll try the battery or else it seems like I have to fork out for a new belt/strap *sigh*
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think I remember reading that the battery is supposed to last a year if used only an hour per day.. and since you are doing almost double that, It's prob. time for a new battery.

Take it to a jewelry store.. thats what I did and the process went a lot faster.
  • brianquijano
    Options
    Got "check wear link" too. Solution = buy a new battery CR 2025