QUESTION ON GLUTEN FREE BREAD?

Options
I tried my first piece of gluten free multi-grain bread a moment ago, toasted with a bit of peanut butter.

Observations:
Smaller slices than your typical whole grain bread
Dense, not light and fluffy
Toasting helps flavor
Texture is quite crumbly.
Higher calorie than standard whole grain breads.
Tasty and filling.

Profile:
150 cal per 50g slice
24g Carb
3g fiber
4g Protein
4g Fat

QUESTION: If you love bread like I do, but want to be gluten free yet keep to a healthy whole grain product...have you found anything out there that fits the bill and is tasty and not too high in calories?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is a reason bread needs to be made with gluten. Any gluten-free breads will not be similar; it is something you will have to adjust to or just go back to eating gluten.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Are you going gluten free because you're allergic?

There is really nothing inherently healthier about gluten free if you're not.

Some of the many gluten-free products on the market can be unhealthy, because manufacturers add extra sugar and fat to simulate the texture and satisfying fluffiness that gluten imparts.

Also, gluten-free products are less routinely fortified with iron and vitamins B and D than regular bread products.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'm specifically allergic but I'm reading "The Blood Sugar Solution" which stipulates that even the mildest food allergies lead to weight gain, insulin resistance, and imbalanced blood sugar.

So unless I cut it out entirely, not sure if it's an issue for me or not?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/blood-sugar-solution-challenge_b_1334517.html